• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Fellowships

Killiak

Artisan
To each their own. Each player should play the way they want, and hopefully find an FS that suits that way. Otherwise it will just lead to friction, and people will leave anyway.

In some cases though; good riddance

DeletedUser7324

Having a view on things is fine, trying to force them on others and telling them how they should act and play the game is not fine.
Bouncing from FS to FS is fine for the player doing the bouncing but it might not be OK for the other members of the FS. A player recently joined our FS because they wanted to see what it was like to do 10 chests in a tournament. When that player left after the tournament ended some of the other members felt that the player had used our FS for their own gain and then went back to wherever they came from.

I read the initial post as just one person's view, something to reflect on, not as a rule written in stone by any authority...

Deleted User - 1759805

Having a view on things is fine, trying to force them on others and telling them how they should act and play the game is not fine.
I don't see how he would be able to "force" his view on anyone even if he wanted to. It's a view, anyone can disregard it.

And do you find this ironic that you just tried to force your view on how others may or may not behave on the forums?

Timneh

Artisan
And do you find this ironic that you just tried to force your view on how others may or may not behave on the forums?

NO i didn't, i expressed my opinion on what has been said.
I actually find most of the things you post to be argumentative in one way or another so in order to not read any more of your comments i am putting you on ignore so i will not have to see anything else you write on the forum.

Pauly7

Magus
Everyone has their own views on gameplay. I must say that the tone of both threads at least has the appearance of telling everyone how it is, rather than putting forward a subjective point of view.

Anyway, views are views and to each his own. The part that catches my eye, though, as some others have said is the part about bouncing from fellowship to fellowship every time you get "comfy". I agree with others when I say if armed with that knowledge there's no chance I would accept someone into my fellowship who plays like that. When choosing which possible new fellows to talk to the first thing I look at is fellowship history and if there is a long list of teams on the "CV", well I don't look any further. That's just my view, though. I'm sure it works for some people.

DeletedUser8775

we were glad to have you w/ us, even just for a short time.
Well we certainly weren't glad to have him. He arrived with a whole bunch of edicts as to what he was and wasn't prepared to do, a list that I can't imagine most fellowships would tolerate for long. He was warmly welcomed despite this and then without any explanation whatsoever simply left after a grand total of 5 days, which happened to be around 24 hours before the current tourney ended, taking his tourney points with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5474

Well we certainly weren't glad to have him. He arrived with a whole bunch of edicts as to what he was and wasn't prepared to do, a list that I can't imagine most fellowships would tolerate for long. He was warmly welcomed despite this and then without any explanation whatsoever simply left after a grand total of 5 days, which happened to be around 24 hours before the current tourney ended, taking his tourney points with him.
This attitude is not honoring him at all and certainly, make you smell a rat to his threads.

DeletedUser6028

And you are right, people can play as seriously as they want. My issue is with what he said (and you too) that people who are not as serious should leave the game. And in general telling people how to play the game. I believe in a "play and let play" principal that should apply to all. There are different kind of players and different kind of fellowships. Everyone can find their place. Being a serious player doesn't give you the right to tell people how to play. All you can do is pick who you want in your FS and kick out the ones that don't fit in.

Ok, Hekata, you've provoked me to amend my point. Fellowships have different playing styles and rules and are of course free to make and alter them as they wish. If a fellowship is willing to tolerate slacker players, then that's their choice. But I wouldn't want to be part of a fellowship that tolerates players who routinely violate the rules, especially those concerning minimum commitments (daily help, tournament scores, trades, etc.). I'm sure most of you agree with this idea -- I mean, you're here so you obviously care something about Elvenar. As I said in my first post, fellowships should be willing to give some space for otherwise committed players who for one reason or another can't participate regularly for a period of time deemed reasonable by mutual agreement. If one is going to be absent for a longer period of time, it's always possible to leave a fellowship and play as an independent until such time as regular play becomes possible again.

DeletedUser6028

Bill, thanks for offering this information. Evidently, Bob has learned something since he was with your fellowship. He's become quite a bit more subtle and accommodating. Nonetheless, he did manage to rub some of our fellows wrong and I wish I had been aware of that prior to making my comments about him yesterday. One fellow pointed out that Bob's excuse for moving on (presented at the top of the thread) was highly unlikely as he was with us for such a short while. (3 tournaments?) I'm left with the suspicion that he may have misrepresented his true feelings and goals. In that light, perhaps Bob isn't such a great addition to a fellowship, unless it's willing to accept short term members who may provoke some players if not carefully policed.

Hekata

Artisan
Ok, Hekata, you've provoked me to amend my point. Fellowships have different playing styles and rules and are of course free to make and alter them as they wish. If a fellowship is willing to tolerate slacker players, then that's their choice. But I wouldn't want to be part of a fellowship that tolerates players who routinely violate the rules, especially those concerning minimum commitments (daily help, tournament scores, trades, etc.). I'm sure most of you agree with this idea -- I mean, you're here so you obviously care something about Elvenar. As I said in my first post, fellowships should be willing to give some space for otherwise committed players who for one reason or another can't participate regularly for a period of time deemed reasonable by mutual agreement. If one is going to be absent for a longer period of time, it's always possible to leave a fellowship and play as an independent until such time as regular play becomes possible again.

I don't disagree with any of those Karl. It is a perfectly sound way to view and play the game. My FS is a bit more laid back but we also have rules that we expect people to follow and appreciate players that contribute to the game and always seek for more active players. My issue was only with what Bob said that people who don't play it as seriously as a job should leave the game and you agreed with that (or that's how it looked to me, but maybe I got it wrong). If someone is happy to login twice a week and spend 1 year in fairies then there is nothing wrong with that. Ofc they should then find a fellowship that is ok with that kind of low level contribution (and I have once seen a recruitment post that was asking for just that kind of players). Bob's way of playing is not something I agree with but he has the right to play it that way if he wants and if fellowships accept him to come and leave as he pleases. However I found the tone of his post very arrogant and it felt like he was teaching us all how we should play (I think some other players felt the same way as I). And that is not ok.

Stepping a bit away from the main issue, what you said about not wanting to be in a fellowship that tolerates slackers... I agree with that too but unfortunately it's often not a question of choice. My FS constantly lacks players, especially active ones. We've tried recruiting on the forum, we've sent tones of invites etc... It doesn't help. Mainly because most of the active players want to be in the 10 chests FS. which we are not. We always have free spots. If we'd kick out all those that don't contribute enough we'd be left with 10 players at best. And it would serve no purpose. So yes, we tolerate them. In those occasions when we get to 25 players we do kick out the least active ones with a nice message that if sometimes they feel like being more active in the game they are welcome back. But active players with evolved cities seek more successful FS. We accept newbies and help them grow but 90% of them quite the game after about a month or 2. So sadly not every FS can have as strict rules as the ones you mention even if they want to.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8761

Thank you so much to those who responded to my 2nd post "The best FS"
A special thank you to Hekata and Timneh for demonstrating what IDIONSYNCRASY is like, with their responses.

Despite many Mages and Archmages advertize their FS such as "easy-going, no push account, laid back", they all expect Fellows stay, and stay active in their FS like some kind of Employment.

Fellows must give help, report when they go on vacation, and would be eventually kicked out when they're not active enough. FS in return 'reward' Fellows with things like 10-chest, blue-print, KP-swap, neighbor help, fair trading, etc and etc.

Some viewers object the idea of treating this game like a job. Ironically, the same viewers also do not like FS-hoping. They prefer the comfort, the honor, the glory of life-time employment. They forgot the reality of FS, that eventually a decision to "jump ship now" or "wait to walk the plank" has to be made.

By joining a FS, you get a job. By moving to another FS, you simply change your job.

There WAS life-time employment, with 9-to-5 jobs, back from the 70s.
There is now also Free-Lance, work when you want, what you like, and where you choose.

Same with game. Play when you want, what you like and where you choose.

Pauly7

Magus
It's unfortunate for you that you see the game this way, rather than a place where you can be part of a team, try to grow it into something better and, most importantly, to pick up friends along the way and have that camaraderie. With your mindset then yes, there is nothing wrong with the idea of being "freelance", but in this game that means playing alone. It seems you do that anyway, but also you will one by one alienate all the teams that may provide you with the rewards you desire.

[p.s. I'm not certain why each new thought requires a new thread.]

DeletedUser8921

It seems to me that the OP contains a logical fallacy: The idea that if two things are alike in certain respects or share particular characteristics, that they are the same. Another example might be a softball team, whether for children or adults. Players on a softball team are expected to show up for practices, to try hard, and to play as a team with others. Is a softball team then a type of employment? No.

A fellowship is also not a softball team, but shares more in common with such a team than it does with a job. There are of course pick-up softball games, basketball games, etc., similar to "free-lance." However, many people find that they enjoy playing softball with a regular group of people and may even be more successful at it when they know each others' strengths, weaknesses and preferences. It is useful for a fellowship to have certain people with "strengths" like a steel boost or an elixir boost. Different teams or fellowships may place different levels of importance on different kinds of contributions.

If a person enjoys changing teams a lot, that is up to that person's choice. Some teams may welcome a short-term player. Others might not. As long as everyone is open about their plans and expectations, then all can play the way they wish.

DeletedUser8761

P.S A new thread is started for new ideas, new connections and new people.
Your feedback is always valuable though. However, I start a new thread to run away from stalkers from old threads.
(does it answer your question?)

Killiak

Artisan
Your feedback is always valuable though. However, I start a new thread to run away from stalkers from old threads.

Yes, and it is starting to look like spamming. Just block the people / stalkers and continue the discussion with the people you like, in the thread you already made.

DeletedUser6644

Play when you want, what you like and where you choose.
The fundamental flaw with your argument is the last part of that sentence. Of course, you can always create your own FS (go 'freelance') and perform to whatever expectations you set for yourself. But otherwise, you are not free to play where you choose. Like a real job, you need to apply (or be invited). And that's when your track record becomes important. Loyalty and long term membership of a prior fellowship do not preclude you from moving on to fresh challenges if and when you feel the time is right. But they would be traits that would be welcomed by any prospective new employer. That same prospective employer might look at the CV of someone who has had 6 different jobs in the last 6 months and say "no thanks". I know I would.

DeletedUser5474

Persecution complex - paranoia?

DeletedUser5474

Thank you so much to those who responded to my 2nd post "The best FS"
A special thank you to Hekata and Timneh for demonstrating what IDIONSYNCRASY is like, with their responses.

Despite many Mages and Archmages advertize their FS such as "easy-going, no push account, laid back", they all expect Fellows stay, and stay active in their FS like some kind of Employment.

Fellows must give help, report when they go on vacation, and would be eventually kicked out when they're not active enough. FS in return 'reward' Fellows with things like 10-chest, blue-print, KP-swap, neighbor help, fair trading, etc and etc.

Some viewers object the idea of treating this game like a job. Ironically, the same viewers also do not like FS-hoping. They prefer the comfort, the honor, the glory of life-time employment. They forgot the reality of FS, that eventually a decision to "jump ship now" or "wait to walk the plank" has to be made.

By joining a FS, you get a job. By moving to another FS, you simply change your job.

There WAS life-time employment, with 9-to-5 jobs, back from the 70s.
There is now also Free-Lance, work when you want, what you like, and where you choose.

Same with game. Play when you want, what you like and where you choose.

You copy-paste selectively different meanings and words from different aspects, with different purpose and half-sentences around the game to make a nice salad and present it as something that it might make sense to your own mindset. Half-truths, semi half-truths, and extracts from here and there; I find no solid facts or actual arguments here.