• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Expired Buildings

foolfighter

Alchemist
Many's the time I'll slip in a fighting artifact like an Unlimited Unit Upgrade into some tiny hidden space I'm able to find in each of my multiple cities to help me with tournaments. A week later with the tournament ended I've usually forgotten where they were placed, and they're certainly not easy to find in a crowded city.
How about when a time-limited building expires we get a small hovering 'E' symbol over it, in red perhaps?

cwgiii

Shaman
I like the idea.

In the meantime, I use ElvenArchitect to find such items. I am constantly amazed at the little hidden nooks and crannies that I find.

FieryArien

Necromancer
The general idea to have some way to identify the expired buildings: definitely +1
This particular implementation with a (red) E above the building: definitely -1 from me.

Part of why I play this game is the aesthetic aspect. It’s just pretty. :) And I keep the expired military buildings around on purpose when I have space, because it’s efficient source of coins and supplies for Spire negotiation. Having some indicator hovering above them would be annoying and generally not pretty.

Gargon667

Mentor
Use elvenarchitect. it is a far better solution than anything you will get ingame. It lets you not only find the expired 5-day buildings, but also all those chapter 3 Rainbow flower cages whatever you put there months or years ago and forgot about. In addition to actually showing you all the places where you can put said buildings in the first place.

And I am with @FieryArien I don´t need dozens of red Es jumping around my city, there´d be so many I´d be afraid to contract some kind of mental illness from it. I don´t delete them either until I need the resources (which I rarely do, so the buildings add up). There must be something like 20 of them in my city right now...

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
To be honest, it is not the best idea, but neither it is a terrible one. I will forward this one to our devs to consider :)

Also, a toggle on/off to avoid "having the city filled with red Es" like @Gargon667 mentions!

Pauly7

Magus
I wouldn't be a fan of the floating Es because I usually keep my expired buildings sat there until such time as I need to cash them in to get some more coins and supplies. Sometimes that takes two or three weeks so I wouldn't like the look of it. Some people may like to keep expired buildings for other reasons too (some people keep some of the premium event buildings.) There would need to be a toggle to turn it off.

Deleted User - 341074

Exactly, @Pauly7 , a toggle is very necessary as I shared above. We will see what the devs think on this one!
The problem with a toggle is that if you want to keep one old Ferris wheel as decor but still want to know when your genie is ready to be replaced you need to go into settings and flip the toggle on, look around, then off again- the same effort as clicking on your genies manually, making the feature almost pointless.
IMO the better solution is to simply have a big red "!" that only appears above dead buildings when you are in "move mode" and pick up any building. The same trigger that lights up streets and makes buildings translucent when you are in move mode should do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 341074

We will see what the devs think on this one!
If I might make a suggestion on timing here: Perhaps letting an idea float through the forums for at least a week to get tweaks and issue resolutions prior to forwarding it to the developers would yield better results.

Pauly7

Magus
IMO the better solution is to simply have a big red "!" that only appears above dead buildings when you are in "move mode" and pick up any building. The same trigger that lights up streets and makes buildings translucent when you are in move mode should do the trick.
Yes! Nice idea.

The problem with a toggle is that if you want to keep one old Ferris wheel as decor but still want to know when your genie is ready to be replaced you need to go into settings and flip the toggle on, look around, then off again
Unless there was an individual toggle for each building.

Deleted User - 341074

Unless there was an individual toggle for each building.
We asked for this so that we could turn off neighbourly help for culture buildings that we didn't want buffed and were shot down hard by the developers in a Q&A. It was a couple of years ago though so maybe they've got better programmers now?:p
I'm always wary of suggestions that require entirely new features like a tick-box within each expiring building.
Using existing code where things change in your city during move mode seems more likely to be implemented.

On the upside though, individual toggles could be used for many things if implemented, so that would actually be better.

Last edited by a moderator: