• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Expelled from fellowship-confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser5633

I was approached by a fellowship to join a week ago or so. I was in one at the time but it was from my first day and I accidentally accepted without knowing what I was doing. There were 3 members for 8 months so I thought it would be fun to try a more active one. I was expelled today without notice, I have no clue what I did wrong. I met all the rules. So I am now looking for a fellowship that would at least talk to me if I need to change something I am doing.

m4rt1n

Adept
It could be because you are not manufactoring your boosted goods. I looked at the word map and saw you are Marble/crystal/gems boosted, but could not find any Crystal factories on your world, only silk for T2 goods. Still it is a ? as to why an archmage or mage removed you without explaination.

DeletedUser5633

I do have boosted goods 5 marble 2 of each of the crystals and a few of all the rest. It appears in FS they might want only boosted goods but they did not tell me that, someone else just filled me in on that possibility. It wasn't in there rules I don't think.

m4rt1n

Adept
Apologies for not spotting your Crystal Manufactories, my mistake, but that could be the answer, anyway there is no rule sadly that a mage or archmage gives a reason.

Unfortunately my Fellowship is full currently or you would be more than welcome. If ever I remove someone for unexplained inactivity it is at least 6 weeks and I usually leave a message to reapply if they start playing again, unless a fellow receives a message that they are leaving. I have never just booted someone out.
They should in my opinion have left you an explanation.

You could message ingame the Archmage and ask Why, hoping they are a decent player and explain to you. :)

DeletedUser5633

Thank you for your consideration, I do have another FS to join thankfully but have to wait for penalty period to pass...haha! I did message but no response as of yet, I would appreciate it as I certainly don't want to repeat the mistake.

DeletedUser5633

OK, she responded. I joined the FS 8 days ago. She says " Your score has in no way grown over the last 3 weeks. We have set rules in the fellowship and when you are of no assistance to the fellow ship there is no point in you being there" What is the best way to bring up my score?

m4rt1n

Adept
Upgrade buildings, finish in the top 50 in the weekly tournaments, solve provinces, upgrade AW's , basically move forward in the game. Big score building upgrades are the Barracks and Armories, which by chapter 8 you need around 3 of to get enough Orcs. :)

Ignore that fellowship and join another one. There are plenty out there. :)

DeletedUser3781

Your score has no benefit to you or your fellowship other than bragging rights. Ignore fellowships that have issues like that (unless you like to brag of course ;) )

DeletedUser3985

Your score has no benefit to you or your fellowship other than bragging rights. Ignore fellowships that have issues like that (unless you like to brag of course ;) )
You're right that it has no benefit but from what I've found it's the best way of gauging activity over time in this game.

cwgiii

Shaman
You're right that it has no benefit but from what I've found it's the best way of gauging activity over time in this game.

I actually find that score (and ranking in particular) is a poor gauge of activity. There are many times (especially at the end of a chapter) when I am re-arranging, clearing house (selling older structures), etc. that my score actually goes down. This is probably my most active time in the game. Granted, this is preparing for future advancements that will help my score in the long run. But I have literally been in "that fellowship" that saw the number drop and then I was dropped without even the courtesy of a conversation to explore what was going on. Even a quick glance over the course of a day would have shown the transition that was occurring. It was obvious to me that the fellowship in question was not interested in true reasoning, but was simply watching the particular number that they lazily associated with their goal. True, it was their prerogative, but I am glad to be out of that situation. Never look back (IMHO).

True fellowship is deeper than that. As with most things in life, Communication is key (expectations, status, plans, goals, etc.).

DeletedUser

OK, she responded. I joined the FS 8 days ago. She says " Your score has in no way grown over the last 3 weeks. We have set rules in the fellowship and when you are of no assistance to the fellow ship there is no point in you being there" What is the best way to bring up my score?
She should have at least warned you first... 8 days seems a ridiculously short time to find out how somebody is doing ingame especially as you joined from a small fellowship and don't have the experience of playing in a larger and therefore more active FS.

I'm the AM of a starter FS on Winyandor and we will give a 3 week warning to those who are falling by the wayside - that's 1 mail a week for 3 weeks before dismissal so there's plenty of time to address the problem.

You're well shot of them, and their loss is your gain as you can now join another FS who appreciates you.

DeletedUser3985

I actually find that score (and ranking in particular) is a poor gauge of activity.
I think "poor" is a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, people lose score when they delete certain buildings but that's not exactly a common occurrence. If your rank points stay the same over the course of several weeks/a month then I think it's safe to say that you're not a very active player. Tournaments are another good way of determining activity, although this is only specific to certain fellowships as different groups have different participation requirements.

I've heard that some fellowships send out a weekly or monthly group message where you're required to respond to prove activity but I find this method rather intrusive and annoying. Rank points is better in contrast as the mages can check for themselves without disturbing anyone. If you have a better method then I'd love to hear it but I think we're going a bit off-topic.

Best of luck finding a new fellowship, Rivergirl. Hopefully the next one will be a bit better at communicating with you.

cwgiii

Shaman
If you have a better method then I'd love to hear it but I think we're going a bit off-topic.

Personally, I keep track of the fellows (and neighbors) that provide Neighborly Help(potentially a daily indication without any invasiveness). This happens to be one of the few requirements in our Fellowship (4 times per week). But, as you say, each fellowship has it's own culture and requirements.

I think the main point is the seemingly arbitrary decision to boot a member without explanation/discussion upfront. Again, to each their own. I just find a bit of communication can avoid harshness. Silence can be deafening and very telling.

Deleted User - 1634960

There is so much in this thread. No wonder it is the most active in the Forum :)
First, @Rivergirl86 follow the advice (as you have done). An Archmage who keeps closer track of point scores than she does of how long you have been in the Fellowship is not worth trying to put up with.;)

@Lisica and @Lelanya and @m4rt1n Thank you for your continued efforts to keep newer players in the game and on the right track.:cool:

@Tree Change in the Points score is a good indicator, but too many of these points based Fellowships are looking for quantity, not quality.:rolleyes:

@cwgiii The NH measurement is probably the best measure of activity. If they are providing Neighborly Help, but their point score is not changing they either need help and advice in the game, or they are having RL issues limiting their time in the game. In either case, it's time for the Archmage to do something useful. :D

Please note that this has been posted on my moderator's account because I don't want my Archmage to find out what I am spending my time on. :oops:
Tickets don't rest, and we try not to give them a chance to rust:p

DeletedUser2876

I am in the Fellowship that lost you Rivergirl86 . Apparently the Archmage has been confused, and thought she was replying to another player, expelled for inactivity in visits, hence the inappropriate explanation for the ejection.
She was dismayed to discover her error, and the impression it gave. I understand she has now explained and apologised.
Having said that, it is understandable that such a big mistake shakes confidence in how the membership is handled, and another FS might seem preferable.
We were all sorry to see you go, and I hope your present placement works out for you, but if not, you would be more than welcome back.

Good luck.

Lelanya

Mentor
I am in the Fellowship that lost you Rivergirl86 . Apparently the Archmage has been confused, and thought she was replying to another player, expelled for inactivity in visits, hence the inappropriate explanation for the ejection.
She was dismayed to discover her error, and the impression it gave. I understand she has now explained and apologised.
Having said that, it is understandable that such a big mistake shakes confidence in how the membership is handled, and another FS might seem preferable.
We were all sorry to see you go, and I hope your present placement works out for you, but if not, you would be more than welcome back.

Good luck.
Days later an explanation!! For a new player yet. Hmpf!

DeletedUser3097

As @Rivergirl86 is in a fellowship now and the confusion is cleared up, this thread will be closed.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.