1. Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Dismiss Notice

End of repeatable quests...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Recksters, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Do you agree to limit the declineable quests as shown in the Beta server?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. Vergs

Vergs Spellcaster

Is this how you all got to so high rankings? By doing RQs all the time? If so, that's sad.

I'm a new player and didn't know about RQs (declining them until you get the desired one) until I found this thread. Am I going to participate into that clicking fest? NO. I simply don't see a reason to do it. I haven't been declining quests and I don't feel like I've been stuck at any point in the game. I don't know, maybe my town isn't that advanced and I don't need a lot of resources for upgrading things.

Moreover, there are quests which already give you free stuff. For instance, today I got a non declinable quest to have 8 silk, marble, steel, and scrolls relics, which of course I already had (scouting 4 hexes away). So I got free coins and supplies for doing nothing.

So yeah, in my opinion quests system has to be reworked. I'm OK with the new changes regarding RQs. It's just a common sense that the current system is not healthy for the game. Eventually, it's about developing habits. Don't do it now, won't need it in the future.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. Recksters

Recksters Bard

Why are you sad? Cuz you assume that's why some have more points than others. But you just wrote you are a new player, so how can you know what makes some players have more points than others?

I'll tell you what make some have more points than others. It's a major exploit that I will reveal to all:

Too much free time on my hands.

And THAT is sad. :p

Anyone that is against RQs when not doing RQs, is like not liking a food product that you never eat.

Plus, if everyone is on the same page, RQs or not, what would be different in the rankings?

Plus, plus, what does the rankings do anyway? :cool:

3. Recksters

Recksters Bard

As posted in the Beta server a few minutes ago:

"Dear Humans and Elves,

Over the past week, we have been following the massive amount of feedback on the quest declining limitations. We want to thank you once again for sharing this invaluable feedback with us, as your feedback is what matters most to us! We have been reading the discussion, and we have gathered all the factors that you pointed out, and we are currently in the process of analyzing all that feedback. There is something we can share already:
    • Due to the feedback you have given us, this feature will not be implemented on the live servers the way it currently is on Beta. For the live servers, we will rework the feature for a future update. It will not be part of 0.24.
    On Beta, however, we don't want to go back to the old system that we had. Instead, we want to improve the system that we currently have, and we need your help to achieve this. We want to invite you to continue sending us your feedback in the discussion thread that we have created for this. We will do our best to keep replying to as many posts as we can, but you can at least be sure that we will thoroughly read every single post that has been made, even if we don't reply to it immediately.

In case of any questions or comments regarding this, please post your thoughts in the discussion thread, so that we can have this discussion with you.

Kind regards,
    Your Elvenar Team"

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Alchemist

It wasn't that long ago that I was new to the game - I recall the quests being a little helpful in guiding me in what to do but then, very quickly they weren't. I wanted to fight but I wanted to unlock archers and build a small army first but there was a quest I couldn't decline - Fight and win an encounter. I couldn't because I wouldn't have won so I was stuck with it for ages. It is really difficult to gain any advantage using RQ when you just start out. Where they are the most benefit is in the second and third age of research but when you reach the 4th age of research, they quest aren't needed as much. I do understand that there are some people abusing it and finishing the research tree super fast - I agree that must be stopped.

Vergs likes this.
  5. Josiah

Josiah Bard

Agree with that quest you could not decline, I happened to get stuck on that one when I first started also. Another that I ran into was upgrading my barracks to level nine (9). I happened to be on level six and it stayed for at least a month before I was finally able to complete it. These were in my Human city on another server. I am an Elf here, will wait and see if I get it here also.

6. Halbes

Halbes Bard

I think that some of the upgrades need a higher number of people then I can upgrade too. Right now I need more people then I can build too. I am at a stop on the tech tree because I can not get the goods I need to unlock it. I am losing KP because I can not use them on the tech tree and its going to take days to get the goods I need to unlock this. The goods are to high.

Recksters likes this.
  7. Recksters

Recksters Bard

I got excited too quickly, they will nerf the RQs, they just don't know how yet.

I just started an account on the Beta server to see what they will do. 24 hours per decline is still on in Beta. Btw, it's sending you quests that doesn't make sense at the beginning. Some quests are good for people that play only once per day or takes a few days to accomplish.

Why not make SOME quests that don't cannot be completed more than every 3 hours? Make the OK button not clickable instead, until the timer is off. Like this, you control the amount of times we can do a quest each day, but at least we can skip the quests that block us.

8. Amy Steele

Amy Steele
    Ex-Team Member

Dear all,

I realise that feelings have been running high over this specific issue. I would ask you nevertheless to please remember to ensure your posts comply with our forum rules, especially rule 2 which states:

Several posts lately have not entirely been in compliance with this simple rule. I would ask you all therefore to review your recent postings in the light of this rule and edit them yourselves where necessary. You can edit your own posts by clicking the Edit button at the bottom left of your post.

Thank you for your assistance in helping to maintain harmony within our community :)

Prendyo likes this.
  9. Kazobel

Kazobel Guest

I feel for you I really do, it's like all you have been given is a band aid and you are expected to use it to stop the flow of blood from an amputated leg :D

10. Katwijk

Katwijk Scholar

I'll go with that analogy. The developers are amputating the Declinable Quest technique, in order to protect the rest of the game.

Vergs likes this.
  11. Recksters

Recksters Bard

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Make SOME quests that cannot be completed more than every 3 hours? For quests that could be completed often, make the OK button not clickable instead, until the timer is off. Like this, you control the amount of times we can do some quests each day, but at least we can skip the quests that block us.

What do you all think?

12. Kazobel

Kazobel Guest

Actually it was more an analogy of Amy having to remind people of the "be polite and constructive" rule who at the moment seem to be feeling anything but polite or constructive, I could easily just have said "It's like trying to slow down a tsunami with one sand bag" and it would have meant the same thing but I do get where you are coming from, I'm pretty much of the same opinion about quests :D

13. Recksters

Recksters Bard

I disagree that RQs are destroying the game. I only learned how to properly play with RQs only 2-3 weeks ago and I've been playing since pretty much the beginning of this world.

And many in my fellowship didn't know how to play with RQs, even until the past few days. So, the impact on the game is not as much as some believe. And it can get tiresome after a while to do them, clicking and clicking.

Most players don't help all their neighbors, cuz many believe it takes too long to click on each city. I'm lucky to have a fellowship where every member helps daily, but I doubt that is the case for the 200+ fellowships in this world. So imagine how many are nuts enough to click 75 times to get back a quest they can do again?

But again, I'm not against nerfing the RQs, I'm just completely against the way the developers want to do it, cuz it will make everyone stuck on quests they don't want or cannot complete. Above I offered a solution that will allow them to reach their "balancing" goal, without making us stuck on quests for days.

14. Katwijk

Katwijk Scholar

City Builders are my favorite sort of game, but City Builders often drive the developers crazy. In a different game, my co-guild leader had a PhD in numerical analysis, and we reverse engineered, and trivialized, a great many of the algorithms that the developers were using to provide interesting content and mini-puzzles.

http://www.atitd.org/wiki/tale3/Guides/Quarrying/Spiral_Search is an example of the sort of effort that I have every intention of sponsoring, once Elvenar has a full toolset available.

So - I'd offer you my point of view. Peeling apart the declinable quests algorithm/pattern, and running it into the ground, is EXACTLY the sort of thing that City Builders enjoy the most. This particular tempest is by no means the first storm that I've ever ridden out, and I certainly hope that it won't be the last.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    PhorLaughs likes this.
  15. Horanda

Horanda Enchanter

I hate to see any system abused, but the current system invites abuse. A number of the RQs are really useful only in the initial stages of the game, the 24 hour steel and scroll production ones may call attention to the fact that longer term productions may be set, but having done it once, I am not going to do it again when it costs me results. Likewise the residence/workshop development quests, once done, hardly worth the time. The fighting ones can also cause bottlenecks as we desperately scramble for the next unit or squad size.

An ideal system (to me) would base the quests on the level the player is at, and rotate through them only as long as they have NOT been done, adding new quests to the cycle as completed ones are dropped out, according to the player's level.

This would eliminate the 'supplies for cash, cash for supplies' cycle (though I haven't seen the 'gain cash' quest for a couple of cycles) as well as renewing a sense of variety in the system.

Vergs likes this.
  16. Recksters

Recksters Bard

I don't get why some call this abuse. I call this rewards. It keeps me in the game longer, it keeps me playing more often, it keeps me want to come back more often, it keeps me available for my fellowship more often, etc... etc... etc...

It's not like there is much to do in the game, other than coming back to schedule the upgrades and collect. No PvP, no Fellowships vs Fellowships. Fighting system doesn't allow us to fight a lot, regularly or everyday. It's 4-5 days of building troops, kill them all in a few hours of fighting.

Plus, I already suggested a solution: a cooldown period of completing a quest you already completed less than 3 hours ago. Instead of blocking the decline button, block the OK button for up to 3 hours. Like this, we can decline the quests we want and the discussion will be over. But I guess even that is too much to ask.

17. Thuriquesse

Thuriquesse Guest

Lets see some cooperation from the developers. They continue with the ban of repeatable quests in the beta and give no valid reason why. The developers make a system that is declineable then they are shocked that people make use of it. SHOCKING....face palm.

The beta testers are paying to work for this community and the developers are abusing it. The developers broke this game without any apology at all. The developers are to blame for the train wreck in lack of supplies to do anything. Did the developers fix this problem by giving something when they took away a HUGE part for the Beta testers game...NO THEY did not. AMY STEELE and muf-muf continue to tell us our opinions matter, and I tell them no they dont because they are NOT listening , because they do not care what we think...FACT.

The world managers work for free, the mods work for free, the beta testers work for free....Must be nice to have so many people working for free. We are not a community we are a group of slaves who's opinion matters NOT.

Free THE BETA. Bring back the cancelling of quests...

Yes I am furious. I wasted my monies on this game and so did many others who are leaving this game. Soon their will be a massive exodus and it is happening now. But do the developers care. NO THEY DO NOT.

Recksters and Josiah like this.
  18. Recksters

Recksters Bard

Yes, I stopped playing the Beta, it's boring. I offered a simple solution, but it's getting no traction.

19. Thuriquesse

Thuriquesse Guest

A Long time ago the developers Reduced the income of our buildings IE...Supplies and Coins, that was when they eliminated the 200% culture. It was a disastrous change to most players, especially the senior players. That was when most players went the decline-able route because no alternative was brought forth by the developers. If the developers remove something or take something away like they seem do to, then they should give something back to replace this loss in revenue. THEY DID NOT. Many players in BETA posted that the declineables was almost like cheating but our voices went unheard.
    The loss of supply revenue right now is hard, In Beta all my Dust factories sit vacant. Not making any troops and my map sits, doing nothing no more discoveries. WHY...NO POINT.

We keep hearing for MONTHS on end new stuff is coming and yet nothing arrives, they tease us about something then we wait and wait. LAZINESS, probably. Or bug ridden or the concept fails???????? Who knows but the developers.

Many players have asked whats up for the future and NOTHING. WHY?????....We are going to leak all the developments in the future to some competitor?????....

The fellowship should have been released at the beginning and it was not. No fellowship forum, why not, many fellowships have to resort to outside forums, facebook etc as a result of the missing forums. And the mailing system is just plain stupid. With all of INNO'S experience in making games, forums etc etc etc...you would think they have practice. Can't even copy paste anything into the mail.

Players wander around feeling disappointed and lost because this game is LOST, without focus.

When the quests are fixed properly and our revenue stream makes any sense then this game MIGHT get back on track, but until then this game remains a total train wreck.

Many suggestions have been made. On facebook, in forums, to MODS, to forum etc etc etc. Maybe at most a couple of ideas have been brought into reality.

The correct thing to do would be fix the problem before it became a problem. For a LONNNGGGGG time the developers knew about the declineable quest issue and they did nothing to address the problem until they just cancelled it and then RUINED senior players revenues. SAD

20. Kazobel

Kazobel Guest

But it's not abuse, ALL the quests are made to loop and ALL quests give an option to be declined , it's not like the "supplies for cash" and "cash for supplies ones" are the only ones that can be looped they are just the ones that are the most profitable to loop. If I were to loop one of the 24 hour ones over and over again would that be considered abuse? You can't accuse people of abusing a system when they are using that system in the exact way it was designed to be used. There is no rule that says you can't do it ergo it is not abuse, it is not a bug ergo it is not exploitation, it is just people using a feature of the game in the most logical, profitable way possible.