• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Elvenar Wordsearch - Terry found a friend.

m4rt1n

Adept
I suggest you try a while on the obvious option before attempting to consider the more complicated options. As I said earlier,
Thanks now I got it, it looks so simple, had me puzzling for about 30 mins.

Also @anonglitch the "s" goes in 2 places, both making sense, so will both be acceptable, or do I need to guess which way round.

Last edited:

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I was called 'SkyRaider' once. Changes the whole landscape and unsettles the nerves when that sort of thing happens.
@SkyRider99 : Oh but it could be worse, believe me. My Real Life nickname is Nell (as in Nell Gwynn the famous orange-seller turned Royal - or even Nellie the Elephant, as many of my friends have never stopped reminding me...), and I've been online since a while before 'EZ-Mode' Net 2.0 arrived in 1998 and opened up the World Wide Webz to many more people than before. Back in the day, in particular, the standard online font was Arial, typically at a very small pitch size too, and Nell looks very much like Neil in small-scale Arial (and in this font too, now that I'm staring at it) and there was the further complication of there being no user avatars (and few graphics of any kind) and very few women online at all, let alone hanging around in the places I tended to frequent, which were mostly strategy gaming and/or emotionally overcharged political discussion sites.

No doubt you can imagine what happened as a result : almost everyone I encountered thought I was a man called Neil, and I very rarely bothered to state otherwise, since it made pretty much no difference to what I thought about strategy games or just about anything else I was talking about - although I must say that it became very fun in the late 1990s, when my future-and-eventually-now-ex husband first started talking to me, on a website discussing strategies relating to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (the sci-fi version of Civ) ... and then spent the first six months or so not even realising I was a woman - until he suddenly did, in the end, and was then understandably rather confused for some time! Haha.

Those were the days.... :D

PS : My memory being as sieve-like as usual, I'd completely forgotten about Terry and his friend (and @Herodite - is the Dwarf meant to be Terry or the friend?). I suppose I'd better get on with it, whether or not I can work out which letters make up the anagram, assuming that I even get that far - it has to be more fun than re-loading the Trader every five minutes to hunt down Sentient Goods Trades which aren't 1* or 0* rip-offs... bah.

SkyRider99

Mentor
it has to be more fun than re-loading the Trader every five minutes to hunt down Sentient Goods Trades which aren't 1* or 0* rip-offs... bah.
I feel the same about Ascended Goods. But you have said it much nicer than I would have. Although Ascended Goods are set to 2-star trades, finding any that ask for my boosted goods is mostly futile. Humbug! :)

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
@Herodite - is the Dwarf meant to be Terry or the friend?

No no THAT is not Terry! This beautifully bearded chap does have an official name but im not sure what it is so we shall call him.... Bernie :D

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Well, I actually remembered to do the Wordsearch - yay for my hopeless memory! And I came up with an anagram, too... although whether it's right or not remains to be seen. I tried! And - Bernie? I say that's a Bearded Lady Dwarf - they do have beards in Tolkien's mythos, at least, and in fact according to the Prof. himself, only other Dwarves can usually tell them apart from the men - so I think she must be Queen Bernadette... :D

Any way up - win or lose, I had lots of fun doing the Wordsearch. Many thanks to the author(s) ! :)

I liked the word search too. I did come up with an anagram, not sure if it is the anagram. May I suggest that when the winners are announced, may be they could also reveal all the anagrams. I am sure it would bring out loads of laughter. :D

m4rt1n

Adept
The entry time expired 18 minutes ago, I hope to see everyone's anagram and thank @anonglitch for running the competition, good luck everyone in the draw to win diamonds. :diamond::diamond::diamond:

Sir Derf

Adept
I won't yet reveal my entry, but I would like to mention that this was not the usual way a word search/secret message puzzle usually works, which had me really confused when I first started this contest. Normally, the word search is densely packed, using nearly all the letters in the grid, and the few remaining unused letters give the secret message, either directly reading them in the order of the grid, or by anagram. I've rarely seen it where the intersections of the word search give the letters to be used for the secret message, again either directly reading them in the order of the grid, or by anagram. In both those cases, it was necessary to solve the word search in order to produce the secret message. Further, providing the secret message was therefore proof that you had solved the word search. It was a little less satisfying that this puzzle allows the secret message to be determined without even seeing the grid.

Still, extra games and free diamonds are nice, yes?

m4rt1n

Adept
Yes it had me completely puzzled for a while, I was looking for words used in the game for 2 days, trying to solve it, and as you say not your usual anagram wordsearch puzzle.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
It was a little less satisfying that this puzzle allows the secret message to be determined without even seeing the grid.
@Sir Derf : I haven't tried running the letters through an online anagram solver - but even if one did so, I'd imagine that there are plenty of words and/or phrases which could theoretically be made by either/or including or excluding some or all of the grid letters making up the clue words ...?

That said, even if someone were willing to spend the time needed to re-type all of the clue words (or to use some kind of OCR software, maybe) - and then more time running the large number of possible resulting combinations through an anagram solver, wouldn't that be (a) incredibly labour-intensive, and (b) rather not much fun, even if - again more theoretically than practically, surely - scientifically interesting, perhaps?

Or have I simply missed some kind of quicker and/or more apparent - to others than myself - short-cut to working out, or perhaps just guessing, the 'secret word or phrase' - which, for me, wasn't at all obvious (quite the opposite, in fact!) until AFTER solving quite a few words of the puzzle?

Not that I'm asking you to post the answer you've arrived at - which would very much spoil the fun! - but rather just wondering about your method.

[ Hey, look above this bit - a new (to me) formatting toy! An 'Insert Horizontal Line' command... ooh, shiny! :D ]

PS : @Jake65 : Ha, thanks for noticing! Having FAR too much time on my hands, I can sometimes think of little better other to do than altering and/or re-designing my Net profiles, signatures, and so on (of which I have only a few)... well, excluding the famous quote usually attributed to Voltaire, which I adopted as my byline in 2020 and which now appears as a perma-fixture everywhere where I even have any kind of signature etc.

That apart, though, where I *can* mess around with the rest of the signature, I often do - and as far as The Sayings of Laurelin's Mum go (NB: she called me many things, although Laurelin wasn't one of them!)... I recall her using that particular one frequently, from my early childhood onwards - and there were many more, too, since (believe it or not) L. Mater was even more verbose than her [now intermittently] loquacious offspring!

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Well as you all now know the Contest is Closed and we will come back to you either later today or tomorrow morning with the WINNERS my Beautiful Fiends!!! Good Luck! :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept
Well as you all now know the Contest is Closed and we will come back to you either later today or tomorrow morning with the WINNERS my Beautiful Fiends!!! Good Luck! :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Any results yet, I know you guy's are busy. :D

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I don’t think I saw what Sir Derf saw. I did the word search, but the anagram eluded me, so I did not enter. Rock of rumours did not feel right. Hats off to whoever did get it.

m4rt1n

Adept
I don’t think I saw what Sir Derf saw. I did the word search, but the anagram eluded me, so I did not enter. Rock of rumours did not feel right. Hats off to whoever did get it.
Rock or Rocks is in mine but where is your "F"
Sorry see it in "of" now I may be completely out but "Forum" or "forums" was in mine also, hence why I asked about the "s" as it worked both ways.

Of course the "s" may have been in neither at the end but that would have turned our very Sour :eek:

Last edited:

Giraffi

Enchanter
Rock or Rocks is in mine but where is your "F"
Sorry see it in "of" now I may be completely out but "Forum" or "forums" was in mine also, hence why I asked about the "s" as it worked both ways.

Of course the "s" may have been in neither at the end but that would have turned our very Sour :eek:
Our forum rocks? That makes a lot more sense.

Sir Derf

Adept
Extra words...

Above the "A" in Ranger, written upwards is both FARM and ARMY.

Anyone see anything else, double points if Elvenar related.