• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Direct Dev interaction.

Who would like direct answers from the Devs, collating 2-5 questions (vetted) per week/fortnight?

• Yes

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeletedUser

Background: (You can skip this bit, if you choose)
Devs interacting in a forum is a terrible idea. From taking away development time, to trying to please the vocal minority, to being abused, it is always a bad idea. Despite it being often the number one thing the customer wants. The idea here is to get one person to ask certain easily answered questions and only take a small amount of Dev time.

Objective:
Clear up confusion. Enable customer interaction. Engage dissatisfied customers.

What I propose is to collect questions (how many is up to the Devs) over a period of time and get an answer within a specified time.

To do this, the questions would have to be formed properly
  • No attacks "Are you firing the person that made the MA"
  • No open ended/vague questions "Where do you plan on taking Elvenar in a year?"
  • Specific questions "Are you planning on allowing the MA to shrink or be deleted ever?"
  • Broad appeal (unlike this) "Are you planning on fixing the zoom bug that stuffs up the dialog boxes?"
I clearly volunteer for this task, although I suspect the chance of this getting off the ground is a little under 5%

I would like 5 questions, asked every fortnight, drawn from this thread.
Suggestions being
  • Will the MA be made smaller or deletable in the near future?
  • Which patch are you planning on making drone riders usable?
  • Is there a fix for the tournaments coming soon, such as increasing the reward for those with inactive neighbours?
  • Will there be a balancing out the catering cost for tournaments, or is cater more expensive by design?
  • Is making a preview of the battlefield something that could be considered?
Any suggestions on questions or how to ask are welcome. This post will be edited to reflect the current questions. The amount of "likes" a post gets will (probably, if this works) signify the importance of the question, so please keep questions to one a post.
Edited: Zanyah - 2016-05-28 - replaced inappropriate word

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 106219

When can we expect to get a new upgrade for the Elven Archer (currently the least useful of the units I have available due to low damage and low health)?

When are we going to get the option to preview the battleflied before starting the fight? Currently we have to start a battle, see the battlefield, then surrender and try again after choosing what seems like the best set of units for the battle.

DeletedUser971

will they balance out the catering cost for tournaments, I fight. the traders amongst us have no chance of getting any where in the tournaments. I do feel sorry that it is so one sided.

DeletedUser

When can we expect to get a new upgrade for the Elven Archer (currently the least useful of the units I have available due to low damage and low health)?

When are we going to get the option to preview the battleflied before starting the fight? Currently we have to start a battle, see the battlefield, then surrender and try again after choosing what seems like the best set of units for the battle.

Could you be more specific on the Elven archers? Do you mean they have no real use at all, or are you expecting (after upgrades) that all units should be equally useful, in their specific domain?

DeletedUser971

archers are useless, have not trained any for months now, yet train all other units. all of the units have a place, but the archers hit rate is so low and the enemies life so high. you would have to hit them too many times to kill them. they need to be boosted

and thank you for coming up with this idea. I hope you get answered.

Edited: Aider - 2016-5-28 - Multiple Posts (Merged)

Deleted User - 106219

Could you be more specific on the Elven archers? Do you mean they have no real use at all, or are you expecting (after upgrades) that all units should be equally useful, in their specific domain?
Let me just find my notes I made some time ago... here we go:
- 204 Archer II: 3264 HP, 1224-1632 Dmg, better range (4 vs 3) and better initiative. No defense bonuses, extra damage versus Short Range Archers, useless against Cannoneers and Necromancers
- 34 Golem II: 6086 HP, 782-2346 Dmg, Defense bonus versus Short Range Archers, Attack bonus versus Short Range Archers (exactly the same as that of Archers) and versus Heavy Melee, Special ability increases the damage the target takes from attacks

And all of that is when you compare Archer II with Golem II. Now that I have Granite Golems (who are even stronger) things are even worse:
- 240 Archer II: 3840 HP, 1344-2016 daamge, range 4, better initiative. No defense bonuses, extra damage versus Short Range Archers (+20%), useless against Cannoneers and Necromancers
- 40 Granite Golem:12400 HP, 1600-4800 daamge, range 3, Defense bonus versus Short Range Archers (-50% damage taken), Attack bonus versus Short Range Archers (+30%) and versus Heavy Melee (+90%), Special ability increases the damage the target takes from attacks

There are some occasions when Archers are useful (for example, when the enemy consists of nothing but Swamp Monsters and Treants, or when terrain allows you to block the path and make it impossible for enemy units to reach my archers), but most of the time Golems are simply the better choice. The bigger the enemy squads get the less useful the Archers become because the odds of enemy archers surviving and attacking them increases. There's a reason I have avilable 38997 Sword Acrobats (162.5 Squads), 4364 Granite Golems (109.1 Squads), 3265 Sorceress II (54.4 Squads), 396 Treant II (19.8 Squads) and just 3643 Archer II (15.2 Squads).

Note that this applies specifically to Elven Archers. Crossbowmen are the ONLY ranged unit humans have, so that makes them more useful by necessity - there's simply nothing to replace them with (except maybe Priests, but they are meant as support units and I haven't yet gotten to the point where I unlock Priest II, so can only guess).

DeletedUser66

If I'm not mistaken, the devs/game designers of elvenar have already provided livestreaming episodes for player related Q&A.

I recall seeing one just last week where Joony appeared answering questions the players were sending in.

Perhaps wait until another one is hosted and you can ask your questions...

DeletedUser

They have already answered the question re. MA in I think the last Inno TV. They stated it would not be removed or made optional.

DeletedUser971

Yes, the devs have answered some questions on the update videos. these questions I hope will be answered to, they are the ones that are not chosen by them to answer, rather by us.

Would be nice if a mod got involved here and said 'great idea, we will send these questions in and they will publish the answers' in a timely manner. otherwise this thread is mute again as a good idea, but not going any further.

DeletedUser66

Yes, the devs have answered some questions on the update videos. these questions I hope will be answered to, they are the ones that are not chosen by them to answer, rather by us.

Would be nice if a mod got involved here and said 'great idea, we will send these questions in and they will publish the answers' in a timely manner. otherwise this thread is mute again as a good idea, but not going any further.

Developers don't get involved with moderators on forums. If there is an issue with something, they will respond to it and usually in the form of an announcement on the beta forum to discuss a potential resolution to the problem.

A lot of the questions that have been asked here have already been answered by the beta team on their forum. Stuff that has not been answered has been done so with reason and usually because the devs don't want to provide the public with spoilers or plans they don't wish to share with the public yet.

DeletedUser971

lets take the mercenary camp as the example. on beta the feed back was 'no time soon' from a mod. that is not an answer that gives us confidence, would be nice to have a real answer from a dev.

From the 27 April 2016 Beta

Muf-Muf"We don't currently have an ETA on the Fairy Units, unfortunately. Once we know more we'll share that, of course - we're very much looking forward to seeing them in game ourselves as well"

Now more than a month, needs to be answered

Edited: Zanyah - 2016-05-30 - Merged 2 consecutive posts

DeletedUser66

You must understand that muf-muf is not in charge of such decisions. He can only relay information he receives from game design and product manager when it becomes available.

It seems that the recent content we have received as well as the new stuff coming in the next update has taken priority over two new units being released into the game. I suspect there were unforeseen problems with these two new units hence why it has not been released yet. I prefer to receive something that works, so waiting a little longer isn't an issue for me considering there is a steady flow of other new content coming into the game.

DeletedUser1877

i think it is a VERY bad idea, to expect answers from dev's, they have more then enough to do without being bothered by us with lame questions.
If the game isn't going your way (right now) it doesn't mean that it is a bad game, it just means, you've chosen a strategy that doesn't work for you.what is, and what isn't possible, has been clearly explained in the descriptions of things, and 'just-because' you don't like it, it doesn't mean it is wrong.the dev's are doing a great job (so far) and we should be thankful that they still keep improving and expanding the game, instead of bothering them with '''boring'''questions, which are only asked because the game doesn't go the way, that the person that asks the question wants it to go.
I'm sorry if i confused some people with my long sentences, (i sometimes even got confused typing them)
now.. lets have some fun, and enjoy the game.

DeletedUser971

Yes, but now again we need to pause and fix what is not working. Why would they not want to hear back form the people who play the game. Is the such a hierarchy here that a mere player cannot ask a dev a question. If someone asked me about my work, I gladly answer and I do get asked all the time, I work to a lot of timelines and try not miss any, and have not missed one by two months.

As for my game strategy, I have not factored the fairy units in because there is no information about them, other than their picture.

DeletedUser1877

there are ways to report bugs, and if you do, I'm certain the dev's will (at least) try to fix them, demanding answers to 'stupid' questions however, is an entire different thing.
Hearing back from the players.... eh... well they only need to read the forum for that, eventho the forum is (in my opinion) littered with stupid remarks and demands.
this post is not about asking the dev's.... it is about demanding answers....
If i would be a dev, i would not even LOOK at a question if an answer was DEMANDED.

as for ''my'' strategy... i've done all research, and all my knowledge-points right now go to other peoples ancient wonders, kinda a waste, but I am NOT complaining, or demanding answers

Edited: Zanyah - 2016-05-30 - merged 2 consecutive posts.