• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Creative Guest Race Mechanics and Geometries

Sir Derf

Adept
How about a Guest Race where each stage of upgrades requires a rearrangement of the buildings? Portal -> a -> b -> c becomes Portal -> B -> C -> A

How about a decentralized Guest race. You build multiple central points, add additional components, but each cluster has to be separate from the others.

Or, kind of putting the two together, You build Portal P1, A1s, B1s, C1s connected to each other. Then you build Portal P2 separately. As you upgrade to A2s, B2s and C2s, you have to move them from connected to P1 to connected to P2, separated from the P1 cluster. You upgrade P1 to P3, and as you upgrade to A3s, B3s and C3s you have to move them from connected to P2 to connected to P3, again separated from the P2 cluster.

Or how about every building has to be unconnected to each other? Or that the production decreases if it contacts another? Or increases the farther apart they are?

A Guest race where you can have at most 20 buildings, each new one must touch an old one, after a point, in order to make new buildings, you have to sell old ones. But, once placed, you can't move an existing one. Your guest race settlement will move as it grows.

A 12x12 portal, surround by 8 6x1, 12 4x2, 16 3x3, 24 2x4 and 48 1x5 to make a cross with 12x12 center and four 12x15 arms.

m4rt1n

Adept
@Sir Derf what chapter of the game have you reached so far?
Just need to know how to reply to your suggestion as some is covered already. :)

Sir Derf

Adept
I'm in Elementals.

You'd think that if I've hit a race with a mechanic I've described above as a new idea, I'd have noticed...

m4rt1n

Adept
@Sir Derf when you have tackled the Elvenar, then I will reply. :)

Note, 6 months to pass the Elvenar set up, so wonder to self why a suggestion to take 10 years to pass a guest race is here lol

Sir Derf

Adept
Buildings must be connected. +5% production per degree of separation from the portal. Production restarted if moved/disconnected.

Sir Derf

Adept
Buildings must be contiguous, but at least 50% of the perimeter has to be not touching another guest race building.

Sir Derf

Adept
I was going to make a couple of suggestions that had different visual feels, but I think they are all unworkable in terms of clickable mechanics. Currently, the clickable area are the ground squares that the building occupies, regardless of how tall the building is.

1) Guest race buildings that are floating at different heights, to make different levels. The Chess Set floats, but only by a little bit. I was picturing floating at different building stories.

2) Buildings that stand on, not really hills, but slightly different ground elevations, so you could have a gentle rise or terraced arrangement.

3) A subterranean guest race, where the various buildings are collectively in a depression, either trenches or craters or some such.

Sir Derf

Adept
A waterway construction. Interconnected waterways with buildings that are straights, left and right elbows, T and 4 way intersections. All connections must maintain the water flow.

Say the theme is a river system. The portal is a Waterfall water source. Then you add a sinkhole. From there, you add pieces, straights, bends, junctions, moving things to add each new piece. Production only works along contiguous paths from Waterfall to Sinkhole. Add a junction, the new extension doesn't produce until it ends in a sinkhole.

Could be a Venice-like canal system with buildings. Could be a pipe system.

Julian

Sorcerer
Elementals is a Venice-like canal system.

Sir Derf

Adept
Yeah, but only the canals. I'm describing that all the buildings be waterways, and the mechanics being waterway-focused. Functionally very different.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
3) A subterranean guest race, where the various buildings are collectively in a depression, either trenches or craters or some such.

Yup, and make an entrance 1x1 (no joking) with no RSS. To click it and then, you go underground. You have like 250 or 500 squares, where you add their portal, and stuff hehe. And then, on top, you can still add some buildings, related to the RSS guest collection.

Sir Derf

Adept
Guest Race buildings that shrink as they are upgraded; they get more efficient, but lower and lower overall output. They start as, I don't know, 8x8 or 10x10, and shrink to 6x6, 4x4, 2x2, maybe even 1x1. You keep having to build new freakin' huge buildings because there's no way you can place all the level 1 buildings you need all at once, because you ultimately have to have, like, a million little buildings.

Sir Derf

Adept
I can't quite come up with a plausible mechanic that justifies tetris buildings...

Edit: Literally 2 minutes after posting the above...

Every time you construct a building, the shape of the next available building is randomly chosen. Each building is more and more expensive to build, as a deterrent for build-and-sell to get a better shape; maybe there is an extra penalty for selling buildings before you finish the chapter. Can only upgrade a building if it is part of a ten-squares-in-a-row cluster. Maximum upgrade is determined by how many neighbors it is in contact with.

Last edited:

Sir Derf

Adept
Atlantis.

The Portal is Atlantis, a large water-surrounded island that builds up over time. All other "buildings", when first built are either mostly or totally open water. As they upgrade, they become different islands, but still mostly water. While built, the guest race looks either like an interior ocean or seashore.

The final act, each building is an expiring building that ends in a sunken form.

Sir Derf

Adept
The Portal is a Lighthouse. It projects a cone of light that highlights all Guest Race buildings located in a one quarter swath from the Liighthouse. The light enhances production. The light rotates one position every day.

Sir Derf

Adept
A Guest Race that worships natural disasters. Every building has a 1% chance of falling prey to a natural disaster each day. Picture logging in to find one of your buildings is on fire. Or flattened by a Kaiju. Struck by a meteor. Flooded. Overtaken by vines.

Sir Derf

Adept
A Nature-themed Race. Each building, when first built, starts in a Spring theme. Each day, the buildings progresses into the next season, changing it's look and either changes the resource it can produce, or changes the efficiency of the output, depending on the season it is currently in. You can try to have your entire city synchronized, or in themed zones, or just randomly distributed.