• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Countdown to Fellowship Adventure?

Sir Derf

Adept
So, they've introduced the Event badge ahead of the event, giving a Countdown to the start of the Event.

Was the Fellowship Adventure badge showing with a countdown to the start of the Fellowship Adventure?

Julian

Sorcerer
That would be a good idea. With a countdown of at least 72h.

Pauly7

Magus
On the latest Beta adventure there was less than 24 hours notice, so Beta isn't a good comparison where it comes to events starting. Beta has just had their first event countdown timer, after Live first had one.

Gargon667

Mentor
I doubt they will give us a countdown timer for FAs.

Just imagine the server overload if everybody knows to the exact second when the FA will start. Every single FA interested town logging in in the same 10 second slot? I would say that is a guaranteed server breakdown.

Well at least in my imagination nobody really cares when the event starts and even with the timer nobody will bother to login for the second of the start of the event, because everybody can finish even if you log in a week late, while people would certainly do that for the start of the FAs where every minute can be used to make more badges.
Thinking about it, maybe the timer for events is a sign of Inno trying to create more excitement around the events? Right now they are just background noise really, turning them into a "thing" might get more people interested. And with events being most likely a big part of where the money comes from that sounds like a good idea to increase revenue.

The only alternative I can see for FAs would be a timer with an exact start date, that is different for everybody. So everybody would get assigned a random second in that 2 hour window, but I am pretty sure that would lead to more complaints than the current system.

We´ll probably have to live with the 2 hour window we got used to by now...

Pauly7

Magus
Well at least in my imagination nobody really cares when the event starts and even with the timer nobody will bother to login for the second of the start of the event, because everybody can finish even if you log in a week late, while people would certainly do that for the start of the FAs where every minute can be used to make more badges.
That's true. Really, anyone can turn up just in the final week and still complete all the quests, if they're motivated to do so.

Hekata

Artisan
Just imagine the server overload if everybody knows to the exact second when the FA will start. Every single FA interested town logging in in the same 10 second slot? I would say that is a guaranteed server breakdown.
Maybe in theory, but for a lot of people FA starts at a very inconvenient time: for all of Europe it's when people are at work, in the US I think they are still sleeping... + not all FS are playing FA to compete, a lot (most?) are just interested in getting 1 path on each map, or completing maps but not going crazy in the pits... all those people are not going to rush to the gates in the first minutes, so I doubt it would create a crazy overload as soon as it starts.
The hard core FA players already know when it usually starts and are there at that time anyway; I think we'd get more or less the same thing even with a counter :)

Pauly7

Magus
Just to add/ask though, in this day and age should it really need to be any problem for Inno if all their players log into the game at once? Some people who have a closer understanding of such things may be able to tell me.

At the moment, at work, we're going through the procurement process of a new kind of software. I won't bore you with the details, but at one point I asked one of the potential vendors - what is the point where the server may be overloaded by too many customers using it at once. He just kind of chuckled and said that hundreds of thousands of people could log on together at the same time and it wouldn't be noticed. I know this is probably not on that scale, but still... Inno is quite a big company.

Gargon667

Mentor
Just to add/ask though, in this day and age should it really need to be any problem for Inno if all their players log into the game at once? Some people who have a closer understanding of such things may be able to tell me.

At the moment, at work, we're going through the procurement process of a new kind of software. I won't bore you with the details, but at one point I asked one of the potential vendors - what is the point where the server may be overloaded by too many customers using it at once. He just kind of chuckled and said that hundreds of thousands of people could log on together at the same time and it wouldn't be noticed. I know this is probably not on that scale, but still... Inno is quite a big company.

Neither do I know, but I agree with you, it shouldn´t be a problem. All I can say is that the health care online booking system of the region I live in (in Sweden) broke down when they opened for covid vaccination of the next age group (or lets say the first big group that is also computer litarate to a big degree)... Which would be hilarious if it wasn´t that bad... One would think something like that is kind of important, apparently there are incompetent people everywhere. But I wouldn´t blame a game for not overspending on capacities for the one time they need it and instead "fix" the problem in a cheaper way.

Pauly7

Magus
Neither do I know, but I agree with you, it shouldn´t be a problem. All I can say is that the health care online booking system of the region I live in (in Sweden) broke down when they opened for covid vaccination of the next age group (or lets say the first big group that is also computer litarate to a big degree)... Which would be hilarious if it wasn´t that bad... One would think something like that is kind of important, apparently there are incompetent people everywhere. But I wouldn´t blame a game for not overspending on capacities for the one time they need it and instead "fix" the problem in a cheaper way.
But I would imagine Covid vaccinations breaking the healthcare website probably involved a massive unprecedented number of people flooding the system at one moment that they haven't accounted for. Yes they should have done better, but it was probably half the country's population. Same thing when a certain superstar's concert tickets go on sale and 10 million people try to buy them all at once and the website breaks.

Gargon667

Mentor
But I would imagine Covid vaccinations breaking the healthcare website probably involved a massive unprecedented number of people flooding the system at one moment that they haven't accounted for. Yes they should have done better, but it was probably half the country's population. Same thing when a certain superstar's concert tickets go on sale and 10 million people try to buy them all at once and the website breaks.

It was actually the 50-60 year olds ;) as a percentage of the population, not sure, maybe 15 or 20%? Anyway the point is they should have done something about a foreseeable high demand.
And Inno is "doing" something about the foreseeable high demand at the start of an FA, by not announcing the exact start time. Which is far cheaper than having a 10 fold bandwidth that is only needed for an hour or two per month. Or at least that is my interpretation of what is happening... I may be completely off of course...