• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Combat changes.

• Thread starter DeletedUser1685
  • Start date

DeletedUser1685

It's difficult to talk about design changes because the people who do them usually spent many hundreds of hours implementing them and are sensitive to any criticisms.

In my past I've seen design changes that were vigorously defended by the developers even when numbers of players plummeted as a result. Specifically the now defunct Star Wars Galaxies, and Runescape. The latter losing over a million paying subscribers because of changes to combat.

That said, if we as players don't say anything then nothing can change, even though saying nothing is usually the wiser course.

The combat changes to Elvenar made player troops weaker, and they now require more time and resources; such as land for a new troop building. So players need to log in more often, and do more, for less.

I can only speculate as to why the developers would do such a thing, but what I do know is that I choose to play Elvenar because of the emphasis on city building. I'd have preferred developer time to be spent on items which promote more city activities. Or on player interactions, such as trade.

Balancing combat is a never-ending task, because no game is balanced, not even chess. Spending developer time increasingly on combat means that the game begins to focus more on combat instead of what I signed up for.

DeletedUser

The combat changes to Elvenar made player troops weaker, and they now require more time and resources; such as land for a new troop building. So players need to log in more often, and do more, for less.

Important point: they require more land so we can build them, land can only be acquired via the world map, which we are now restricted in using. In spite of Inno claims to the contrary, I assume most people can figure out the motivation there ;)

DeletedUser1441

+1

Also impossible to fight on tourneys after 3rd wave :|

DeletedUser2816

I'm upset with the decision to bonus my heavy infantry - Treeants against heavy artillery.

I don't even take them into a fight anymore, between the low movement and the obsticles on the battle field (including other units) you can't get them into contact with the units they are best at fighting until many rounds in, by which time you have lost too many/all your troops.
It also ruins the believability. in the real world historically, heavy infantry were best at taking out light infantry and performing blocking moves (as it was in Elvenar until now). It was the job of light cavalry, fast moving troops, to get round an enemy position and hit crossbowmen and balisters etc
In an effort to create balance, they have created something quite nonsensical.

Crossbows were used more like a modern mortar team than the way they are used in Elvenar. Crossbowmen were most often used as two man teams, one would hold the pavis (a very large shield) to cover the team and the other would load and fire the crossbow. They had a low rate of fire with a greater range and power than the bow. Increasing the range, lowering the initiative and movement of the crossbowmen would add realism and make a point of tactical difference between them and archers/rangers.

DeletedUser1353

+1

Also impossible to fight on tourneys after 3rd wave :|
Weird, i just beat some wave 4 tournaments with just autofight. Tbh these kind of comments are helping no one, at least be constructive and point out whats wrong.

DeletedUser1685

I wouldn't know about tourneys, mostly I do the first few and that's it, and always with negotiating. Mainly because of the KP and Rune rewards, when they are 6 or 4 of each.

As I said earlier, I play Elvenar for the city building and much of that element is being diluted away, despite many oft repeated suggestions in the arena of building. I guess the combat experience is seen as exciting by some and perhaps a way to engage a wider audience, but Minecraft seems to do okay with limited combat systems, and a broad scope for player creations.

Combat changes in games like WoW are done as a way to tinker, and supposedly stop one strategy being the only one used. More jaded people might also see it as a way of keeping players on a treadmill of constantly reworking characters and equipment, but that's not how I think.

What I do think is that updates which create more complexity work best when there is more to learn, more to explore, and not necessarily more work to do in order to achieve the same results as before. Which is why WoW experiences an upsurge in players when there is an update with more land to wander in, and not when there are combat rebalancing changes. Combat changes are risky business, nearly always fraught with player complaints, and with seemingly little to gain for the game developers. I think there are better uses of developer time.

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
with seemingly little to gain for the game developers
Actually, making the big changes to battle that we did with the update to version 1.15 allowed us to build on the combat system again. We have had to delay or scrap battle-related content (e.g. the Fairy units would be a prime example of that) because it could not be made compatible with the old system. The sole fact that you have been getting more military buildings and units would not have been possible without initial changes that we made. More is still coming (you can already check on our Beta for the newest additions), and more will come for at least several more updates. We are not done yet. We know it takes some time to get everything into the game, and that has been done intentionally to "soften the blow" of the changes for everyone. We do realize that the changes have been big, and have been hard to understand in some cases. In retrospect we maybe should have gone with a different approach or order of updates (e.g. changes to the menus should have been implemented sooner, as those help a lot in understanding the new system), but it is unfortunately impossible to go back in time to do this. At least we learned this for the future, should we have such big changes again. :)

Regarding the Tournaments being too hard now - with version 1.18 (to come next week), we will lower the difficulty of the Tournament battles. We also saw that those were too hard right now, so we will be adjusting them.

Deleted User - 106219

Regarding the Tournaments being too hard now - with version 1.18 (to come next week), we will lower the difficulty of the Tournament battles. We also saw that those were too hard right now, so we will be adjusting them.
I hope the bug with the first tournament round will be fixed BEFORE the next version arrives to International... But seeing as there has been zero news about it on Beta I very much doubt it...

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
At this point that one has not been fixed yet, but we do still have time to fix more bugs before the update comes to the EN servers. So, there is still a chance it will be solved before that. :)

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
Unfortunately we have to get back on this one. It turned out that the information we had contained a rather unfortunate typo, and the "bug" of the units actually having a squad size of 85% turned out to be correct after all. We have now corrected this in the Release Notes as well. Comparing the numbers, you can now also see that the tournaments get harder by 15% with every level in a consistent way with the 85% squad size. Also, we have seen that players don't struggle too much with the first levels of the tournaments, but rather with the levels a bit later on. We do apologize for this mistake in our communication.