• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

City Planning Tool

Did you find this useful?

• Total voters

DeletedUser487

Hi everyone,

I have created a tool which can be used to help plan your cities. It has been created in PowerPoint, so you will need this software to be able to use it.

Here is the link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4CCC83F8DF1DF405!3926&authkey=!AA0RLmV6H9V6xQM&ithint=file%2cpptx

I think it is quite self-explanatory, you just copy and paste the buildings you need onto the plan.

I've not included Dwarf buildings or Ancient Wonders.

If you find it useful, please let me know. Similarly if you think it could be improved, I'd like to know that too :)

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make this tool. :)

I've just tried this Powerpoint in LibreOffice on my Linux system and it works fine (with the exception of some of the text not being formatted correctly).

A couple of improvements that came to mind:
  • add a legend with all the relevant buildings to the left or right of the city map so one does not have to navigate to the previous page to select buildings
  • add the upgraded sizes of each building
  • add a grid to the blue background of the city map to make aligning buildings easier
Apart from that, it works quite well and I'm sure players will find it useful. ;)

DeletedUser487

These are things I thought about too. Just haven't gotten round to adding them.

Cheers again,

Greg

DeletedUser277

Hi Greg, thanks for taking the time to make something like this. It s a good start, but needs to be developed further, starting with the points Valerius mentioned.

I know you were perhaps seeking to make a comparative point about the difference between Elves and Humans, but I suggest that you might consider preparing two separate tools, one for each race. Otherwise it could get a little confusing and cluttered.

DeletedUser487

Yeah that's a good point too! I thought it would be better having it all in one so people didn't have to download too many things. As it progresses I'll see what option is better.

DeletedUser1393

Hi Greg , I tried to download the file but it says it might not exist or is no longer available , I wouldn't mind trying it out if its still around

thanks
Synnie 64

DeletedUser

I downloaded it a few weeks ago but only started using it this week (to help me redesign my city prior to entering the Prettiest City Competition)
I found it easy to use and once I had made a copy of my current city I was able to save a variety of possible layouts to compare
I would agree with several points already mentioned
You only need elves or humans so my first step was to delete the pages relating to humans
I copied the buildings images into the space on the right of the design page, then deleted the page which originally had them on. They need to be accessible from the same page.
I made many duplicates of each building ready to drag onto my grid. I resized as necessary to have a stock of each type and size I was going to need
I made a stack of vertical roads and horizontal roads ready to drag across and lengthen or shorten as required.
Once I had a copy of my existing city , I duplicated that page so I could work on several variations of layout
Don't forget to save at regular intervals!
It would be good if there was some way of making the shapes 'click to grid' - not sure if this is possible in PowerPoint but it would help keeping everything aligned
All in all though a useful tool, so thanks for the work done setting it up, Gregorious

DeletedUser487

Hi Greg , I tried to download the file but it says it might not exist or is no longer available , I wouldn't mind trying it out if its still around

thanks
Synnie 64
Hi :)

The link should work now. I must have moved the file at some point.

Thanks for letting me know,

Greg

DeletedUser487

I downloaded it a few weeks ago but only started using it this week (to help me redesign my city prior to entering the Prettiest City Competition)
I found it easy to use and once I had made a copy of my current city I was able to save a variety of possible layouts to compare
I would agree with several points already mentioned
You only need elves or humans so my first step was to delete the pages relating to humans
I copied the buildings images into the space on the right of the design page, then deleted the page which originally had them on. They need to be accessible from the same page.
I made many duplicates of each building ready to drag onto my grid. I resized as necessary to have a stock of each type and size I was going to need
I made a stack of vertical roads and horizontal roads ready to drag across and lengthen or shorten as required.
Once I had a copy of my existing city , I duplicated that page so I could work on several variations of layout
Don't forget to save at regular intervals!
It would be good if there was some way of making the shapes 'click to grid' - not sure if this is possible in PowerPoint but it would help keeping everything aligned
All in all though a useful tool, so thanks for the work done setting it up, Gregorious
Thanks for the feedback! I find that in the most recent version of PowerPoint the shapes should align themselves with others which are adjacent. I'm not sure if I have a different setting for it on my computer.

You make some good points too, which I will definitely incorporate when I get around to updating it. If someone has the tech savvy to make an online version like for FoE, then please make it haha.

DeletedUser1775

Hi Greg, it appears that the link is no longer working.

DeletedUser1749

I'm not saying GregoriousIV is trying to corrupt your computer, but it is possible to transmit a virus through Powerpoint files. Some forums prohibit posting an exe type file on the forum to prevent this type of malicious behavior. I would caution everyone to be careful using these type of files and take appropriate security measures to prevent infection.

DeletedUser1775

I have scanned the file for malicious contents (like i always have). And it's proven to be safe. I agree with WizEd though, always be wary of any executable files. :)

DeletedUser

Just a quick note: Had a quick look at the link online and noticed that on your page 2 with all the building silhouettes you have 2 barracks elves rather than one elves and one human. Just thought you might want to adjust that.

DeletedUser487

@Marrra, yeah I just have not had any time to update it :(. Regarding security, I wholeheartedly agree that you must be prudent when accessing files online. To my knowledge, the file is 100% safe to use, however you download it at your own risk.

DeletedUser1925

Too much work... FoE planner is better. Tho, still can be updated for better usage. For example Main house is wrong size and not moveable.

Last edited by a moderator: