• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

City City Inventory

DeletedUser191

It is hard to to change a city layout, as there is no space to put buildings. It would be great if buildings could be moved to a storage area outside the city, then moved back into the city. When buildings change size I often need a new layout. Designing an efficient city is an important part of the game, but it is unnecessarily hard at the moment.

When any building is in storage, the city will not produce anything, this ensures storage can not be exploited.

DeletedUser

You know, I read a similar post to this somewhere else in the forums and the answer that said, this planning of cities is part of the game, but I am not so sure this type of idea is so bad and I like the penalty approach idea connected with it. I am not saying this is the answer but a penalty given approach to a building shuffle...I like it. I know building can go any where, but we don't do we. We have residence areas and goods areas and probably a military area. I don't see the big deal in a shuffle for aesthetics...peace of mind..or what ever. I have only recently figured out how culture is a bug-a-boo for me, I could use a refit, lol.

DeletedUser191

Not being able to rotate buildings is intentional, and I am happy with that.
When I get a city expansion it takes ages to re-layout my city, with a storage area I could do it much faster, and be spared an hour of frustration. Not asking for the ability to do anything that we can not already do, just make it less frustrating.

DeletedUser

This would be a good thing or being able to place on top of for upgrade. I would also like to change my user name like you can the city name. Why can we not rename the player also?

DeletedUser

Just my two cents worth: Not being able to rotate buildings may be intentional for whatever reason, but is very cumbersome when upgrading or needing to add more buildings & culture items. Each upgrade offers a 'larger' area needed for placement. The rotation would therefore benefit us, and reduce frustration of moving buildings and pathways, as well as freeing up the Devs from having to deal with the possible creation of a temporary 'storage facility' as some players are asking for. I am fairly new to the game and became very frustrated after my second expansion and not being able to set my village as I wanted it to be. Personally, I do not like 'cramped quarters' no matter what game I play. Visual aspects of a village and future planning of expanding it is important in any game - at least in my mind!

DeletedUser281

[Summary] - Creation of an inventory for storage of, and relocation of buildings

[Details]
- It has come to the attention of some players that while making use of space in this game is part of the strategy, it would appear that building a structure and then leveling it up to level 15, only to have to destroy it later in order to make space seems like a waste of resources. Especially when you do not get the invested resources back, only those spent on the 'basic' structure.

An Inventory could be created whereby players can place, for an indefinite period, buildings which are not needed, or buildings that the player would prefer not to destroy in order to create space for a building with more need. This inventory would not, however, be used for the stockpiling of resources (That is why there is a Trader). Similar to resources not be allowed into the Inventory, roads would also be prohibited from being placed because a player would essentially be able to stockpile a large amount of upgraded road into their inventory and place it whenever needed since it would only be counted as one structure for building purposes.

The inventory can be used for both Non-Premium and Premium use. Similar to how the Builder's Hut is set up, each player can receive 2 free slots for buildings, and unlock more with the use of Premium.

[Reasons for implementing] - As stated in the Details section, this would enable players who choose to, to place structures into a holding place in order to either replace it with another structure or with a required building in order to progress. This would ultimately allow for players to continue to have the building without having to destroy it and rebuild it again.

[Impact on other game features] - The UI would be impacted on due to the need to create a new button. However, that button can be placed alongside the current Sell and Move buttons in order to keep the GUI minimal and non-intrusive. It is also the logical place to put such a button. As far as I can tell, there would be no other features impacted upon by the creation of an Inventory.

DeletedUser281

This would be a more permanent situation. It would not occur when a player moves a building and the obstructing building is automatically picked up when the replacement is put down. This would allow a player to 'bank' a building without moving a building

DeletedUser66

Honestly I don't see the point to stockpile fully built buildings.

The game has been designed to utilize the available space in the best way possible to have a functioning city to the best of the player's ability. This is one of the biggest strategies in the game that many of us enjoy. Being able to easily swap through buildings sort of defeats this purpose because I can simply swap according to my needs at a specific time.

Possible flaws:

Stockpile 5 culture buildings - when it comes to harvesting coins and supplies, swap your factories to increase your culture = more profit.
Stockpile 5 armories - Players building a massive army while they sleep can take over provinces a lot more quickly thus moving up in the ranks faster.

It just doesn't seem fair all around.

DeletedUser281

Possible flaws:

Stockpile 5 culture buildings - when it comes to harvesting coins and supplies, swap your factories to increase your culture = more profit.
Stockpile 5 armories - Players building a massive army while they sleep can take over provinces a lot more quickly thus moving up in the ranks faster.

It just doesn't seem fair all around.

Players who have reached the end stages of the game as it currently stands, can already customize their cities to either of these set ups

DeletedUser66

And well deserved too, since they have spent a considerable amount of time and effort in reaching the end game.

DeletedUser330

Older thread but glad someone else has had this idea.

I was finding it such a chore when moving my layout around to move one building a couple squares, then move another, then move 3 pieces of road, then move the buildings again, then move two more pieces of road, then move the.... you get the point.

It'd be incredibly handy to have a garage where you can store a handful of things, even if it was for a limited time, while rearranging stuff for a more productive layout.
Even if it meant halting production on said building while it's in storage, say if it was a residence then it would stop producing gold while it was in storage, it'd still be handy a function.

EDIT: I don't mean a new building either that would take up space... I mean a simple function that you can click on a building, and bring up the window, and click a button that says something like "store" or something... and the building disappears... then you can open the store, select the building you want and put it back on the island.

One function that could be put in place to discourage people from abusing the function, if a building has been in the store for more than, say, an hour, or 2 hours, then your gold levels will drop by X amount every hour you store the building.

As others have pointed out by putting culture buildings on the island when they want more gold or something, then a time limit on storage with a penalty with an hourly gold payment would discourage abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2779

I just finished the halloween quest, put one of the buildings down, thinking I'd be able to store it back in my inventory at any time. Now I have no room for the thing atm but really don't want to just destroy it. I can't believe I'm not able to store it.

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
[Summary] - Creation of an inventory for storage of, and relocation of buildings

[Details]
- It has come to the attention of some players that while making use of space in this game is part of the strategy, it would appear that building a structure and then leveling it up to level 15, only to have to destroy it later in order to make space seems like a waste of resources. Especially when you do not get the invested resources back, only those spent on the 'basic' structure.

An Inventory could be created whereby players can place, for an indefinite period, buildings which are not needed, or buildings that the player would prefer not to destroy in order to create space for a building with more need. This inventory would not, however, be used for the stockpiling of resources (That is why there is a Trader). Similar to resources not be allowed into the Inventory, roads would also be prohibited from being placed because a player would essentially be able to stockpile a large amount of upgraded road into their inventory and place it whenever needed since it would only be counted as one structure for building purposes.

The inventory can be used for both Non-Premium and Premium use. Similar to how the Builder's Hut is set up, each player can receive 2 free slots for buildings, and unlock more with the use of Premium.

[Reasons for implementing] - As stated in the Details section, this would enable players who choose to, to place structures into a holding place in order to either replace it with another structure or with a required building in order to progress. This would ultimately allow for players to continue to have the building without having to destroy it and rebuild it again.

[Impact on other game features] - The UI would be impacted on due to the need to create a new button. However, that button can be placed alongside the current Sell and Move buttons in order to keep the GUI minimal and non-intrusive. It is also the logical place to put such a button. As far as I can tell, there would be no other features impacted upon by the creation of an Inventory.
Imho, I think that having sometimes to move the whole city, wisely, is the last exciting part of the game...

But I also find frustrating to remove some residences lvl19 that took time to build because beeing in a temporary phase where I need less people and having to rebuild them, from scratch, later, eventually... It took me a lot of calculation to know exactly how much residences to keep and how much I would be allowed to remove that I think not everybody would/could do...

DeletedUser2886

1) No rotation is stupid. Limits your own design ideas which come on isnt that part of building your city? To me all the cities look pretty much the same and are void of character
2) You wouldn't need a storage area if you could just swap two buildings directly without having to have a free space in the city the same size to place on of them first. Its not hard to just give us a feature to click on one building then place that building on another building and they are swapped. That's probably way easier and less time consuming in terms of development time than building a "storage area"...and Im pretty sure the majority of people would welcome a swap feature
3) "permanently raises culture" LIE. when you seel the building your culture is decreased. frustrating when you have to remove things to complete a task that wants you to have 10 residences etc. you look at your city and take away what appears to be the least important thing. I'm new to these type of games but pretty sure your barracks, residences, workshops are more important than your sighposts and trees

DeletedUser363

You wouldn't need a storage area if you could just swap two buildings directly without having to have a free space in the city the same size to place on of them first.
As you progress you will find that most buildings are different sizes and shapes and so cannot be just swapped, this gets worse the further on in the game you progress.
We won't get any help on features to move and swap buildings though because the developers think it hampers our game:rolleyes:
In reality you should rearrange when you get a new expansion...I rarely do though, always something else to be playing around with at the time;)

DeletedUser2886

As you progress you will find that most buildings are different sizes and shapes and so cannot be just swapped, this gets worse the further on in the game you progress.
We won't get any help on features to move and swap buildings though because the developers think it hampers our game:rolleyes:
In reality you should rearrange when you get a new expansion...I rarely do though, always something else to be playing around with at the time;)

well judging by your emotocion about what the developers think about the game it's safe to say you agree with me on that. It's ok if things dont look up i just wont play and spend my IAP on anotehr game thats worth it. Hey lets make a city building game but stifle the design process and the problem solving aspect. Legit

DeletedUser2886

well judging by your emotocion about what the developers think about the game it's safe to say you agree with me on that. It's ok if things dont look up i just wont play and spend my IAP on anotehr game thats worth it. Sure you might say they dont care about one person but it wont just be one person. Its the underlining attitude of the devs fro what you are saying that is the problem. Hey lets make a city building game but stifle the design process and the problem solving aspect, but claim fixing it would hamper our game. Legit

DeletedUser363

I spend a lot of time infuriated by what the dev's are doing with the game, and am only still here to help those I am friends with and in my fs (fellowship), otherwise I would have left ages ago. Stopped buying diamonds months ago - and I refuse to follow the example of most people, and have a regimented village - abstract and unique is much better;)