• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Chapter 18 Observation

Sir Derf

Adept
Apologies, I haven't yet thought of this before it happens to check the before numbers, but I've frequently seen something odd.

I collect badges from my Element Hubs and start them making additional badges, which uses Elves/Elvenar/Humans.
I collect various Elves/Elvenar/Humans from my Welcome Squares.
look at my resource totals and frequently find that one or more of my Elves/Elvenar/Humans have a total of 8188/8189.

I'm having difficulty believing that I am frequently collecting from Welcome Squares exactly one less than my cap.

Sir Derf

Adept
Had a deficit of 8109/8189 = 80, and a Welcome Square with 240 from overnight. Collected and the toast showed +80. But, ended up with 8188/8189.

Went to collect screenshots on my other guest race, also with 8109/8189, and this one filled correctly.

Apologies for again failing to collect visual evidence, but there is definitely an off-by-one issue going on here.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @Sir Derf Let me ask the question! Shouldn't be too long. Might require a Ticket but we'll see :)

m4rt1n

Adept
Sounds to me like the long standing fraction bug, that can also do the same with coins etc.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team

m4rt1n

Adept
I remember that and the "Red Warning" does not show with this bug, sure I replied then.

This bug is as old as the game, or at least when I started playing 6/7 years ago.

SkyRider99

Mentor
But if we took the set of all real numbers, deleted all integers, divided by 2, and then subtracted the first number we thought of, we may get an octagonal number, as a better approximation. :)

But seriously @Silmaril, your reply sums it up nicely. (pun intended)

Sir Derf

Adept
Respectfully, @Silmaril and @SkyRider99, Orc pucky.

Rounding error is a believable explanation of 8108.51 + 79.51 = 8188.02 looking like 8109 + 80 = 8188. But 8109/8189 + 240 -> 8188/8189 is not an unresolvable result of a rounding error. That's sloppy programming.

Here's one of multiple solutions for my case

If ((cap-cur)<addition)
cur = cap
else
cur = cur + addition
endif

Sir Derf

Adept
Oh, come on now!

Sorry, don't have the before numbers, because I wasn't expecting to have to note anything.

I collected badges from my Elementals.
I started 5 events in the Portal.
I then went to try collecting people from my Squares. They had been running for 4 hours and had a little over 100 in each Square. I have 6 squares, 2 each producing Elves, Elvenar and Humans.

I clicked on an Elf Square, none collected.
I clicked on an Elvenar Square, none collected.
I clicked on a Human Square, and it collected. I clicked on the other Human Square, and it collected.
And then, I noticed that both of the rising toasts from those squares said "+1".
I look at the balances, and it now shows 11700/11700 Elves, 11700/11700 Elvenar and 11699/11700 Humans.

Again, I don't know what the balance was on my Humans before I started collecting them, but I just collected probably 100+ Humans twice, supposedly only taking 1 Human twice, and ended up with an inventory 1 short of being full.

Shenanigans! I declare Shenanigans!

Sir Derf

Adept
Humans 11700/11700, Elves 11699/11700, Elvenar 11699/11700

Collect badges from Elementals.
Start 6 badges from Elementals, using 60 people per badge, 180240 each Humans and Elves.

Humans 11460/11700, Elves 11459/11700, Elvenar 11699/11700

Squares have 82*2 Elves, 82*2 Elvenar and 82+319 Humans

toasts +82+82 Elves +1and nothing Elvenar +82+138 Humans

11700/11700 Humans, 11623/11700 Elves 11700/11700 Elvenar

So, this time it could collect exactly what was needed and top off Humans and Elvenar.

Edit: Corrected incremental Human and Elf usage from 180 to 240.

Last edited:

Sir Derf

Adept
Humans 11700, Elves 11623, Elvenar 11700

Collect badges from Elementals.
Start 6 badges from Elementals, using 60 people per badge, 120 Humans, 120 Elves, 240 Elvenar,

Humans 11580, Elves 11503, Elvenar 11460

Squares have 103 *2 Elves, 103+185 Elvenar, 103*2 Humans
toasts +103+103 Elves +103+137 Elvenar +103+17 Humans

11699 Humans, 11700 Elves, 11700 Elvenar

m4rt1n

Adept
@Sir Derf is still the game not coping with a decimal round up issue that has happened for years and lost me many supplies, gold, settlement goods over the years, yet Inno usually reply "working as intended" which translated means "we don't know how to fix this"

The tax office know how to solve the rounding issue otherwise there would be civil unrest, as stated previously it is not impossible, just some extra coding to turn .9999999REC to 1 lol

Sir Derf

Adept
"working as intended" which translated means "we don't know how to fix this" "we don't care to fix this". There. Fixed it for you.

"working as intended"? Find me the documentation that says "It is acceptable when collection will exceed inventory capacity to collect one less than capacity."

"we don't know how to fix this"? Orc pucky! If a programmer can't resolve a rounding issue in a pinpointed transaction, they shouldn't be a programmer.

Hey, it took me how many years of complaining about the mis-formatted timer in the Fellowship Adventure before it got corrected?

m4rt1n

Adept
"working as intended" which translated means "we don't know how to fix this" "we don't care to fix this". There. Fixed it for you.

"working as intended"? Find me the documentation that says "It is acceptable when collection will exceed inventory capacity to collect one less than capacity."

"we don't know how to fix this"? Orc pucky! If a programmer can't resolve a rounding issue in a pinpointed transaction, they shouldn't be a programmer.

Hey, it took me how many years of complaining about the mis-formatted timer in the Fellowship Adventure before it got corrected?

I couldn't agree more @Sir Derf the rounding issue has been a bug in the game for as long as I have played the game, just look at the archive bug reports over the years.

The "working as intended" comment to the same bug was by "A Staff Member" within the last 3 months somewhere in the bug report archive and not the first to say so over the years, no worries, I know Inno volunteer staff have to say the company line

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept
Found this one, and still object to the red warning overfill box appearing when the resource is full, there are many more over the years, hoping to find the "working as intended" comment https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/1-resource-missing.16984/

Seems the "working as intended" comment has been removed (possibly me looking through bugs when it could be a question) but I remember it clearly as day for the same rounding bug that has blighted the game for over 6 years now.

Last edited: