• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Changes to Tournament System

Jackluyt

Shaman
TOURNAMENT CHANGES WILL APPEAR IN BETA SERVER THIS TUESDAY.
Also announced in the US Server for Tuesday 1st but later changed to Tuesday 8th.
Presumably this will affect all the live worlds.

Posted by Marindor in Beta Forum:

Dear Humans and Elves,
With the next tournament round we will introduce some changes to the tournament rewards, especially to help early players acquire different types of relics more easily instead of having to wait over 2 months to get relics from a specific type. The changes we will introduce are as follows:

• Tournament Trophies - While these were already visible here on Beta, we are now officially introducing them. They don't really have a direct impact on the game play, but are nice to have as 'bragging rights'.
  • Relic Rewards - Instead of only getting relics from the specific tournament type, the first province will give relics of the same type as the tournament, and the next province will give the next relic type in the typical relic order etc. so that there will be a more even distribution of relic types.
  • KP redistribution - Knowledge Points will be redistributed, so that new players will more easily understand that you can get valuable Knowledge Points in tournaments. Important to note here is that no reward will be moved backwards (so it is impossible to get less for same effort).
  • Change in costs of magic spells - The current cost balancing of Enchantments leads to an uneven spending of relics. This is a disadvantage for all players, but it gets more and more critical the farer a player progresses in the game. A player e.g. might spend all his relics for ascended goods and then is stuck for a very long time on higher chapters. With changing the costs of spells, we hope to take away that problem.
The changes will become available on Beta with the Tournament start on June 1st - please check them out and leave your comments in the discussion thread: https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php...

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

193404919_10219275814146762_2394873831023913112_n.jpg

SkyRider99

Mentor
IMO changes listed for the relics rewards are punitive, and will be a detriment to the game. This will only make tournament participation less enjoyable.

It's ridiculous to talk about new players having to wait so they can gain all the relics they need. In general, changes to the game over the past couple of years have been focused on making all players wait; especially so for more advanced players who can't afford to buy unlimited diamonds.

It will be interesting to see how the changes proposed for the MA will work.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
IMO changes listed for the relics rewards are punitive, and will be a detriment to the game. This will only make tournament participation less enjoyable.

It's ridiculous to talk about new players having to wait so they can gain all the relics they need. In general, changes to the game over the past couple of years have been focused on making all players wait; especially so for more advanced players who can't afford to buy unlimited diamonds.

It will be interesting to see how the changes proposed for the MA will work.

It will improve the gameplay for beginners, as they gradually improve all there boosted goods at the same time, instead of once every 9 weeks.

It will force those that only play 3 times out of the 9 weeks for relics to play more overall at all tournaments to keep up there relic demand.
For everyone else it seems relics wise be a case of whatever.

I am more interested in the other changes, do we get more KP in the first 9 provinces? will those KP be deducted from the 10+ provincies (so less KP overall for very active tournament players) or will they be added for example.

Lets wait untill it's live on beta and we can see all the changes.

Thagdal

Sorcerer
I am more interested in the other changes, do we get more KP in the first 9 provinces? will those KP be deducted from the 10+ provincies (so less KP overall for very active tournament players) or will they be added for example.

KP redistribution - Knowledge Points will be redistributed, so that new players will more easily understand that you can get valuable Knowledge Points in tournaments. Important to note here is that no reward will be moved backwards (so it is impossible to get less for same effort).

Gargon667

Mentor
  • KP redistribution - Knowledge Points will be redistributed, so that new players will more easily understand that you can get valuable Knowledge Points in tournaments. Important to note here is that no reward will be moved backwards (so it is impossible to get less for same effort)

@Thagdal the problem with this statement is: I believe it to be technically impossible to be true :D

If they only redistribute rewards, and they move KP forward, something else needs to be moved backwards. That something else will then definitely be "less for the same effort" The statement can be true for KP, but not for all rewards.

The alternative would be to add KP to the early provinces on top of the old rewards, in which case the statement would be true that nobody will ever get less rewards for the same effort, but that is not a redistribution, it would be an increase in rewards.

So one part or the other of the statement must be false I believe ;)

CrazyWizard

Shaman
KP are now 1/4/1/1/4/0 instead of the old 0/5/0/0/6/0 in province 10+

The first 9 provinces give now 9 kp more than in the old version.

So it's redistributed but nothing really changed.

Jackluyt

Shaman
A quick peep at the first round of the new-style tournament in Beta.
Relics rotate according to province number, starting with dust in both round one and round two - presumably this will be the same in other rounds as well.
The fellowship bonus pays the relic type of the week - in this case Dust - for all chests up to #10, so far.
☺

193553566_10219280578665872_7533683462211962813_n.jpg

Pauly7

Magus
@Thagdal the problem with this statement is: I believe it to be technically impossible to be true :D
Au contraire.

Only having had a look at the first two rounds, but in the new system if you take both rounds in combination you will always be better off by 9KP, no matter how many provinces you do.

Hekata

Artisan
What about spells? Now that we get 1kp in round 1 in provinces 10+, do we still get the spell?

Pauly7

Magus
What about spells? Now that we get 1kp in round 1 in provinces 10+, do we still get the spell?
Good point and I wasn't looking at that too closely. Yes, certainly in round 1 it looks like you still get the PoP spells.

Hekata

Artisan
Good point and I wasn't looking at that too closely. Yes, certainly in round 1 it looks like you still get the PoP spells.
Excellent! I must be the only one here more worried about spells than kps :D

The relics thing on the other hand is terrible. Even if over the 9 weeks we would get the same amount (and I doubt that's the case) it really forces us to do all tournaments to the same level and that's not always possible becasue of different difficulties of tournaments and also because we need weeks off (or doing less) to rebuild our troops / goods. Not to mention we might have RL things....

Pauly7

Magus
Excellent! I must be the only one here more worried about spells than kps :D

The relics thing on the other hand is terrible. Even if over the 9 weeks we would get the same amount (and I doubt that's the case) it really forces us to do all tournaments to the same level and that's not always possible becasue of different difficulties of tournaments and also because we need weeks off (or doing less) to rebuild our troops / goods. Not to mention we might have RL things....
The main problem, as someone pointed out, is it takes away what little strategy remained in tournament playing. You now have to do the same number of provinces and the same number of rounds in every tournament to avoid the chance of losing out. If you're happy to do that and you aren't short of relics then there should be no worries and you just get a small KP bonus compared to previously.

I fit in the category of not really bothering to strategise, so I'm fine, but that won't be the case for many, especially the smaller players.

Hekata

Artisan
I fit in the category of not really bothering to strategise, so I'm fine, but that won't be the case for many, especially the smaller players.

Well I'm not sure if I'd call it startegise but I fit in the category of players who like to have the freedom to play as they want and are annoyed that Inno is forcing us constantly to all just stay on the same track, and an extremely active one at that, if we want to have all the resources we need. The game is becoming so complex and demanding that it feels like work and not like a fun thing to do more often than not.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I wonder what is the rationale behind making more kp available. I always thought that the game was fairly well designed in that you do need time to do certain things before having the kp to upgrade/advance in research, especially when you are still small.

Pauly7

Magus
Well I'm not sure if I'd call it startegise but I fit in the category of players who like to have the freedom to play as they want and are annoyed that Inno is forcing us constantly to all just stay on the same track
I just haven't had to consider relics for a long time, so I have exercised the freedom to do more in one week and less in another as I see fit, just based on if I fancy it or if I have the time, or maybe for the sake of an FA, or if I want to save troops or petfoods. I don't think it will change anything if I keep doing the same thing.

Pauly7

Magus
I wonder what is the rationale behind making more kp available.
It's not a huge amount more. They wanted to redistribute the KP a bit more and they wanted the changes to never have the possibility of someone ending up with less than before. They could've just left the first 9 provinces as they were though.

Sir Derf

Adept
The relics thing on the other hand is terrible. Even if over the 9 weeks we would get the same amount (and I doubt that's the case) it really forces us to do all tournaments to the same level and that's not always possible because of different difficulties of tournaments and also because we need weeks off (or doing less) to rebuild our troops / goods. Not to mention we might have RL things....

Suppose you always did 9 provinces per tournament. You would get x Marble relics one week, x Steel relics the next, etc, over a 9 week period.

With the rejiggering, You would still end up with x of each type of relic over the same 9 weeks. Instead of Getting all Marble relics from all 9 provinces the first week, you would get province 1's the first week, province 2's the second, 3 the third, etc. Instead of getting all Steel relics from all 9 provinces the second week, you would get province 1's the second week, province 2's the third, 3 the fourth, etc.

The same would be true for any consistent number of provinces completed every week, pre and post change, not just multiples of 9.

Sir Derf

Adept
Me personally, the main drain on relics is the continuous making of CC spells, which need Plank, Silk and Dust relics. Instead of focusing on those three tourneys to replenish those supplies, I have to work at all 9 tourneys to get the same amount of relics.

Now, that's me, and I'm not a typical. Your mileage may vary.

Pauly7

Magus
The same would be true for any consistent number of provinces completed every week, pre and post change, not just multiples of 9.
Yeah, you're right. I had trouble wrapping my ahead around that for a bit yesterday until I made a table! If you always do 6 provinces, for example, you will have the exact same number of each relic, over a 9 week cycle.

There are pros and cons for sure. Relic wastage has been brought up. As you now need to pick up the same of each you will now potentially need to be picking up relics that you didn't need to. However, that's offset by being able to pick up the same number of relics over a lower range of provinces, meaning it can end up cheaper to do. You can't get a bumper load of the right relics in one go, which will be bad for some in the short term, but at the same time you won't completely run out of something for any more than a week.

The strongest negative argument is that it removes strategy, which is true and doesn't sit well with me.

Gargon667

Mentor
The strongest negative argument is that it removes strategy, which is true and doesn't sit well with me.

Same as with many changes in the last year or two. makes it easier for newbies and makes sure everybody gets the same and noone can get more/better stuff than anyone else by using strategy. new tourneys, shuffleboard events, etc