• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Centre of World Map (Method)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Re-posting this here on EN because : (a) I hope a few of us might find it interesting; (b) it's easier, certainly for me, to find posts here than on the US Forum, where this comes from; and (c) because I, at least, hope to actually go ahead and find the centre of my Server (Arendyll EN1), but I don't have time right now.

All credit goes to US Forum contributor Katwick (formerly Katwijk on Beta, for us old-timers) for this very useful info which I'd never have worked out by myself.

Jake65

Sage
Thanks for the link.
I am curious where I my city is on the map so will definitely have a look
It would be quite a laugh if my own map is correct and I'm slap bang in the middle :)

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
@Laurelin, the player at the center of EN1 is BuilderBoss85920. The neighborhood there doesn't look very special, no unusual amounts of big or old cities, even a few inactives. Makes me wonder whether this center point plays a special role anymore (or ever did?)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Wow, thank you @RainbowElvira! I wasn't looking forward to trying to work out the above method... you're a star! :)

As for the the extent to which the Map centres influence [e.g.] Map Movement, I remember @Lelanya saying that before I joined the game (which was in April 2018, so way back during Elvenar's first year or so, when Tourneys were Neighbourhood-based rather than FS-based - eek!), the Map was then set up more as if it had a number of 'mini-centres' - a sort of large-scale tiled system of groups of X number of hexes, each acting as the centre of that particular Neighbourhood - ? presumably with Cities being placed and/or moved accordingly. Perhaps remnants of this even persist?

The Map Movement algorithm is too eccentric in its functionality and movement timings for me, at least, to track or predict it with any confidence, with some inactive Cities remaining for years, regardless of size or Chapter level, while others remain for only a few days or weeks, and with Cities being moved on all days of the week and even at different times of day, whether those Cities be large, small, or even died-in-Tutorial and therefore inactive since Day One (NB : some dead Cities are given a numerical suffix ['PlayerName-1234'] before being moved or deleted, with some newly appearing with this suffix, so moving these Cities around rather than immediately deleting them is evidnetly something which happens at least sometimes...?).

I know this because I kept my own in-depth records of my ~200-City Neighbourhood for some five months, while my then-Ch.11-12 City was 'left behind' in my formerly busy Neighbourhood for some seven months altogether after the 'Big Move' of November 2021, while Goldmines multiplied and dead/dying Cities came and went, but I've given that up - it's too laborious and slow, although accurately recording the status of all my local Cities, daily (it took two hours!) did at least teach me quite a bit about how the Map Move algorithm works.

Anyway. Thanks to your very helpful post, I can now see that I'm (sight-of-eye rough estimate only) about 24-30 'rings' away from the centre. I'm off to do more scanning and see how the land lies, in Map terms! Very glad that I didn't actually have to get in amongst the dev tools myself... :D