• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Cateringcost-Squadsize tournament

DeletedUser4816

on what is the tournament squadsize and catering cost based on?

on ur own squadsize?
or on how far the provinces is away from ur city?
or something else?

Deleted User - 106219

As far as we know it is based primarily on your squad size. Distance from your town and current round (how many times you have already completed that province) also increase the cost, but the main thing is squad size. For now, at least.

DeletedUser4528

As far as we know it is based primarily on your squad size. Distance from your town and current round (how many times you have already completed that province) also increase the cost, but the main thing is squad size. For now, at least.

The current round does have a big effect as the more you do, the harder the fights become, but your squad size had no effect of the enemy squad-size in normal maps or tournaments, other than of course, the bigger your squad, the easier the fight you will have .

DeletedUser4816

so catering cost and the squadsize for tournament is based on :
1. the round of the tournament?
2. the distance of the province from ur city?
3. the chapter u are in?

and thats it then?

Deleted User - 106219

The current round does have a big effect as the more you do, the harder the fights become, but your squad size had no effect of the enemy squad-size in normal maps or tournaments, other than of course, the bigger your squad, the easier the fight you will have .
Your info is a bit outdated, I am afraid. The Enemy Squad Size in Tiournaments is based on the PLAYER's Squad Size (which in turn depends on the Squad Size upgrades the player has researched). So the bigger your squad in tournaments the bigger the enemy squads will be and the higher your losses will be. This is precisely why some players choose to skip all optional squad size upgrades - it makes tournament fights easier/cheaper and tournament catering cheaper. And also the reason threads like https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/should-tournaments-be-based-on-squad-size.13168/ exist.

Deleted User - 106219

Define "difficulty", because I suspect we might be talking about different things. 100 versus 80 seems like the same difficulty as 1000 versus 800 - it's still 10 to 8. But 1000 vs 800 means more units killed, thus more units that need to be replaced, more Supplies spent on training, and more time spent training new units.

Exactly how is the difficulty of tournaments determined, according to what the Development Management staff told you?

DeletedUser4528

The specific question that I asked was

"Does the extra research for squad size in the tech tree affect the tournament difficulty?"

And the answer I received was "No, they do not"

As far as I am aware the tournament difficulty is based upon your Chapter, the tournament number, and the tournament round.

Deleted User - 106219

Thank you for checking and for letting us know, Shamy!

DeletedUser1197

The Development Management staff have confirmed to me, that the optional squad size upgrades have no effect on the difficulty of the tournaments.
upload_2017-10-31_23-7-33.png

DeletedUser1829

People often ask about difficulty in tournaments but they can be referring to troop loss or to the difficulty of the fight.

The difficulty is fixed as it is a ratio of your squad size verse the enemy. The chart below shows the ratios for the difficulty of tournaments. So it starts in your favour for the first round, is equal odds in the second round and gradually you are outnumbered until 1.6:1 in the last round. This difficulty will not change regardless of race, chapter, techs. Numbers in graph came from release notes (1.18 I believe).
Combat_Difficulty.jpg

What does change is the size of your squad and the cost to cater both of which are currently understood to be functions of your squad size and the tournament province number. You start round 1 with 5% of your squad size and then add that number for each round you go out. It is a linear progression so round 3 is roughly 15% and round 4 20% etc of your squad size. Here is a spreadsheet and experinced combat player on beta came up with.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/inde...6/&temp_hash=a70b8f454eab56470c2f8bf875e6a93d

While difficulty compared to the enemy squad size stays the same your squads size gets larger the more techs you research therefore your cost to replace troops increases. Someone determined a person who researches all optional SS techs to halflings will have double the cost in troop loss as someone who skips them all. This is a huge advantage as both players in the same chapter would have the same ability to replace troops at the same speed (not counting wonder choices/levels)

This is why the common practice now for a person keen on tournaments is to skip optional squad size techs. The tech tree is misleading for tournaments as it is opposite to provinces and the more you research SS the worse it is for tournament play. Prior to the change it was good to research the techs so those players can't undo the research and new players assume more techs makes its better and fall into a similar trap. This is why some players would prefer it to be based on max SS tech to somewhat even the "playing field" so to speak.

Catering is somehow a function of this so the cost in goods also progress in a similar fashion.

forictori

Adventurer
Hey guys,
As a player who is entirely dedicated to Tournaments, I can confirm that shdowblack is right.
I have researched and tested quite a few things, got an evidences in Screenshot to prove my results and had an argument with another Moderator who is saying exactly what Shamy does, they keep insisting their info is correct, it is not it is outdated.
The info Mykan posted is correct.

DeletedUser4816

Hey guys,
As a player who is entirely dedicated to Tournaments, I can confirm that shdowblack is right.
I have researched and tested quite a few things, got an evidences in Screenshot to prove my results and had an argument with another Moderator who is saying exactly what Shamy does, they keep insisting their info is correct, it is not it is outdated.
The info Mykan posted is correct.

shamy apologized for giving the wrong info at first, so he dident insist he was correct.
he changed his info .. its in this thread u just had to read it.

DeletedUser1829

shamy apologized for giving the wrong info at first, so he dident insist he was correct.
he changed his info .. its in this thread u just had to read it.

Also based on his question and ones interpretation of the word "difficulty" the response of "it doesn't matter about techs" is correct. It just doesn't actor in the cost to replace troops.

DeletedUser4816

Also based on his question and ones interpretation of the word "difficulty" the response of "it doesn't matter about techs" is correct. It just doesn't actor in the cost to replace troops.

what about the goods? the catering costs increases aswell the higher ur squadsize?
so then the difficutly would increase with extra squadsize upgrades,

and more troops needed makes it more difficult. so optional squadsize upgrades do make it more difficult.

DeletedUser441

Surely the AWs that effect troops will compensate and improve attack/defence to hopefully more than compensate for squad size upgrades effects. :confused:

DeletedUser1829

what about the goods? the catering costs increases aswell the higher ur squadsize?
so then the difficutly would increase with extra squadsize upgrades,

and more troops needed makes it more difficult. so optional squadsize upgrades do make it more difficult.

As mentioned in my reply we as players are using difficulty to cover two different things and it would seem the devs are only looking at difficulty in terms of one of those areas - how hard it is to fight squad size to squad size and in terms of catering well difficulty is probably how hard to click a button.

We as players are using difficulty to describe the cost of a tournament. A very valid comparison but very different in nature to difficulty. The cost increase in goods and troop replenishment is significantly more the more squad size techs a person researches.

In brief:
Difficulty - Does not change in terms of technology for goods or combat
Cost - The more SS technology the more it costs (goods and troops) to do a tournament

Surely the AWs that effect troops will compensate and improve attack/defence to hopefully more than compensate for squad size upgrades effects. :confused:

It will have some difference depending on which one you do but no wonder is powerful enough to compensate for twice the cost in goods or troops. Plus a person who does not research the extra technology has access to the exact same wonders and can level them faster because they get access to more tournament provinces due to the smaller cost. This just widens the gap between players for something that is not intuitive as a person does not expect more technology to make life harder, they expect it to be easier.

DeletedUser1197

The imbalance of a tournaments is not the difficulty of fights but various requirements and possibilities of replenishing (troops, goods and orcs) for different squadsize which does not affect production level.
The proportions of the armies are the same. With the numerical superiority of the enemy which takes place at most stages of the tournament, the proportions of losses for large armies will be higher.
Catering cost increases with the size of enemy armies, which is quite logical, but this scheme does not take into account the production which does not increase with squadsize.
When the influence of one factor is considered, other factors such as AWs are excluded. Of course they improve the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: