• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Buying KP vs Wholesaler

Thagdal

Sorcerer
500 on 50K is a 1% increase in costs. 500 on 1.5m is a 0.03% increase. That's not the same.

your maths seems weird to me. i would still need to spend 1,500,500 for 1 kp, out of interest how much gold would it take me to get to 1.5m per kp?

im pretty sure tech advances still require t1 resources to unlock dont they? i still need them in fairies.

DeletedUser

What are you going to do with that 96K of T1?
That's not even enough goods to cater 1 extra province 2 times for 5 KP. Not even close.
Based on your average tournament score of 2400, I'm guessing that clearing 1 more province 2x would cost 30K of each tier, at least.
I don't cater, I fight.... my AWs are a decent enough level that my troops work well plus I get all the freebies.

Its not like I get that much T1 everyday, just as and when the gold reaches max - after all I'm still scouting and that's getting mighty expensive and taking 4 days 5hrs on my main main city (the one in Arendyll).

Deleted User - 341074

out of interest how much gold would it take me to get to 1.5m per kp?
you'd have to buy 2900 KP for a total of 2.25 Billion coins, then your next KP would cost 1.5m
I don't cater, I fight
But then....96K extra T1 doesn't do much for you...
Its not like I get that much T1 everyday, just as and when the gold reaches max - after all I'm still scouting and that's getting mighty expensive and taking 4 days 5hrs on my main main city (the one in Arendyll).
If I'm not mistaken your city produces 10m excess coins per day. How expensive are those scouts? BTW I think 4d5h is the highest I've ever heard of, well done:eek:

Everyone should keep in mind, I'm talking about regular buying habits. If you have to make the choice between buying KP or the wholesaler for a couple of clicks once per week, it really doesn't matter what you do. If however, you have an abundance of coins either from your city or because you are a nice neighbor and you are spending 25% of you MH capacity every single day then it does.

Deleted User - 341074

your maths seems weird to me. i would still need to spend 1,500,500 for 1 kp
Here's perhaps a better explanation of how the price change matters less and less.
today if you bought 10 KP, your price would go from 50,000 to 55,000 costing you 522,500 total
tomorrow spending 522,500 would only get you 9 KP.
That's a 10% drop in how many KP you can buy with the same amount of coins because the cost rose by 10%

Once you reach 1.5m per Kp the cost won't go up by 10% until you have bought 131 KP.
This is what @shadowblack missed when he pointed out that 500 coins is 500 coins.

How much your buying power changes is what really matters.

Thagdal

Sorcerer
2.25 billion coins....
450 x 5 million @main hall cap.
29000 x 22 @ 13 hrs = 638,000 gold say 1.2m a day so 4 days to get main hall cap. so i can get to 1.5m kp in 5 years. i dont think i will be here in 5 years

DeletedUser

2.25 billion coins....
450 x 5 million @main hall cap.
29000 x 22 @ 13 hrs = 638,000 gold say 1.2m a day so 4 days to get main hall cap. so i can get to 1.5m kp in 5 years. i dont think i will be here in 5 years
never say never, I didn't think I'd play for more than a year let alone the 3.5 that I've been playing so far! :D

DeletedUser7733

I spent 1,735,000 coins on one KP and I still keep buying them every day, around 5 to 10. When I need to buy KPs for an event, I use both coins and goods and don't seem to have a problem. Yes, the prize of the KPs goes up same as my production goes up and the reward from neighbours visits goes up and coins from residences go up too. So it roughly offsets each other.

It really depends on how your city is set up.

m4rt1n

Adept
I buy KP regularly and use it on my wonders through a fellowship swap scheme, and always manage to pass the kp requests of every event easily.
I stick to a maximum of allowing the price of KP not to pass 10% of my main hall capacity, but currently that has dropped to around 5% of my capacity.
I fill my hall twice daily as I help every neighbour every day and have scouted over 400 provinces, and am currently mid way through the Elementals.

My current cost has just passed 900k and I'm buying more now following the logic of @SoggyShorts mathematics skills.

I can always fall back on goods for events as I have still got very low costs there and a 3 hour production would get me at least 2kp.

Pauly7

Magus
Well... I think it's a fascinating debate.... and I'm not entirely sure which side of it I'm on.

I mean, for a long time I've been thinking that I need to keep a check on my KP purchases because it's up to 850k each now, but I've read a very convincing argument why it's better to keep on spending.... but surely there's a point where keeping on spending is no longer sustainable?

Perhaps it's literally down to personal preference. There would eventually, though, be a practical limit, where you would no longer be able to afford to complete event tasks.

DeletedUser7733

@Pauly7 , as long as you keep increasing the amount of coins you make, it should not be a problem that your costs marginally increase. I'll keep spending my coins on KPs as long as I can and if I run out of coins, I always got goods to buy KPs with. I can give you all calculations but they won't ever be accurate as I would have to know all variables and we all play a bit differently. Practical results based on your city are much more superior than a generalised theory.

Dr.nYo

Adventurer
i dont bother with calculations, i just spend all my coins on kps. cost went over 2 mil but whatever. they took wholesaler from us so why bother with that crappy leftovers we has atm. sure i cant buy nearly as much as i used to every day but its still counts for something.o_O

Pauly7

Magus
as long as you keep increasing the amount of coins you make, it should not be a problem that your costs marginally increase.
Though for this to work it still relies on you advancing through the game at a rate comparable with your purchasing of KP.... and to take it to the extreme level - once you complete all of the storyline that is so far available then you won't be increasing your coin output after that.

Deleted User - 341074

Though for this to work it still relies on you advancing through the game at a rate comparable with your purchasing of KP.... and to take it to the extreme level - once you complete all of the storyline that is so far available then you won't be increasing your coin output after that.
The players who are posting that they have 2m KP costs are at the end, and they are fine. They can easily grab 10m+ by visiting on the map, and probably have 10m+ per day in excess coins as well.
The last couple chapters increased coin from residences by 10-20%, or 15-30% if you have 150% culture as many players do.
To increase your cost from 2m by 20% means buying 800 KP
At 2 chapters per year, that's about 4 KP per day perfectly sustainable, especially since the cost increase isn't done as a %, it's a flat 500 coins but your income goes up much more so it will take more and more KP purchasing to catch up to economic growth.

The thing is, even if all of the KP buyers are wrong, and they reach a point where KP starts to get too expensive, they can always switch to the wholesaler then. Handicapping yourself now for a problem that may or may not happen in the future makes no sense especially if you can change tactics at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Those of us who have been playing since the beginning did things which we now know should not necessarily be done, such as spending excess gold or goods on kp (for me on my main city it now costs 1667k gold or 20800 planks or 19740 silk or 13600 gems per kp); or not doing the squad upgrade techs that weren't necessary (I've done all but 3), there's no crystal ball which will tell you that in the future you'll find out that what you do now is unnecessary or unwise because you knew no different.

Also over-scouting is something a lot of us did that we now regret. It's a mistake to try to get too many expansions. I ended up not being able to do any encounters for 2 chapters because they were asking for Orcs and I was still in Dwarves!

The players who are posting that they have 2m KP costs are at the end, and they are fine. They can easily grab 10m+ by visiting on the map, and probably have 10m+ per day in excess coins as well.
The last couple chapters increased coin from residences by 10-20%, or 15-30% if you have 150% culture as many players do.
To increase your cost from 2m by 20% means buying 800 KP
At 2 chapters per year, that's about 4 KP per day perfectly sustainable, especially since the cost increase isn't done as a %, it's a flat 500 coins but your income goes up much more so it will take more and more KP purchasing to catch up to economic growth.

The thing is, even if all of the KP buyers are wrong, and they reach a point where KP starts to get too expensive, they can always switch to the wholesaler then. Handicapping yourself now for a problem that may or may not happen in the future makes no sense especially if you can change tactics at any time.

Not buying KPs when it's not necessary isn't 'Handicapping' ourselves! My city is doing very well thanks. :D

Deleted User - 341074

Also over-scouting is something a lot of us did that we now regret. It's a mistake to try to get too many expansions. I ended up not being able to do any encounters for 2 chapters because they were asking for Orcs and I was still in Dwarves!
This is an old problem. The game is much faster now, and you'd have to progress very slowly on the tech tree on purpose to get stuck that way these days.
Not buying KPs when it's not necessary isn't 'Handicapping' ourselves! My city is doing very well thanks. :D
But it could be doing better.;)
Your city is making at least 2m more coins than you spend each day minus scouting and tech costs.
If that excess is going into the wholesaler instead of KP when you reach cap, then you are intentionally giving your city a slight disadvantage i,e, a handicap.

DeletedUser7733

@Rinkidink , the over-scouting problem might be related to not buying KPs with coins. If you were buying KPs with your coins, you would progress faster through your research tree and reach Orcs faster.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
@Rinkidink , the over-scouting problem might be related to not buying KPs with coins. If you were buying KPs with your coins, you would progress faster through your research tree and reach Orcs faster.
Not necessarily, as there are numerous other factors involved in progressing through the research tree other than just KP. I suspect the actual progress would be largely the same.

DeletedUser7733

Yes, there are other factors, such as goods and space used for guest races that are as important as Kps to move through the research. I suspect that these factors might not be a problem for someone who cleared too many provinces. Rinkidink can give us more information on that.