• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Boblin's Advent Activity! - Discussion Thread

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the upcoming Boblin's Advent Activity!

We're looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

Giraffi

Enchanter
Today is the 1st of Dec. Where will the daily pic be posted? I had a look at the other thread and I am not seeing it. Might be a case of it being so obvious, lol, but not seeing it.

Ok, now I see it. Was perhaps just too quick. :)

Sir Derf

Adept
Today is the 1st of Dec. Where will the daily pic be posted? I had a look at the other thread and I am not seeing it. Might be a case of it being so obvious, lol, but not seeing it.

Ok, now I see it. Was perhaps just too quick. :)
Have you factored in the time it takes for light to travel to your head's altitude, given the long neck that I assume you have?

Sir Derf

Adept
Maybe too late to change, but I think this contest has an issue...

There is a 6-day window to submit entries, and that window is smack-dab in the middle of the Holidays.

I understand that you don't want to judge entries where some people will submit all in one post, others in 25 posts, others in 70 posts with extra conversation mixed in. And I understand the appeal of revealing the entries as a holiday countdown.

Might I suggest that the submissions should have been (could be changed to allow) done on a single post, allowing people to post on day 1 and editing that post day by day as they are revealed, or wait until all 25 are revealed and posted all at once. Mods have to look at each entry as they are made, so you could reply to folks who don't edit their first entry and nudge things along. You could then "Like" entries starting Dec 25.

There would still be a 6-day window after the 25th is revealed, which I also think should have been opened up a little more.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Unfortunately editing the entry post would then contravene Forum competition rules, as this could mean entries were able to be edited, beyond a few minutes .
This is why we have opted for players to be able to work on one clue a day, to have all of the answers ready to copy/paste the submissions after December 25th. Giving five days for a simple few seconds copy paste of the answers list.
We appreciate that some people do indeed use this time of year for holidays, hence the timing of this to run over the entire month.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I have been thinking about this. I can search for half an hour or more each day as the clue is revealed, or I can wait till last day and then search an hour to try and find all the answers. That is to say if I am so lucky as to spot the answer quickly, as I have to hand it to the team that you do a pretty good job in making it challenging. Why I think it will go quicker if I do it in one go is because I will be going in detail through the same data sources and you spot maybe something that you were not looking for exactly for that search, but it satisfies one of the other searches.

Copy and paste to me would mean I will have to keep a list on a computer, which is not my normal way of accessing the forum. Will have to be typing from scratch for me. I take it that it will have to be one post that is only posted once.

m4rt1n

Adept
1 question for @Herodite @Silmaril are all the buildings shown fully upgraded versions if upgradeable, or are we looking for buildings of certain chapter/upgrade/elves/human level?

Giraffi

Enchanter
Lol, M4rt1n, I have not thought about the possibility of half evolved evolving buildings.
I guess building level will be good enough and which race if there are different versions for that particular level.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Oooo, @Herodite wants us to be fiendish. Such a big word, not even sure what it means. Take out the e and it reads finds. Festive Finds?

Some words are really long to spell. May we use a short version, like house in place of residence?

Laurelin

Sorcerer
There is a 6-day window to submit entries, and that window is smack-dab in the middle of the Holidays.
Many customs aren't universal, though - and the 'Holidays' concept in the USA is one of them.

I'm British, and whenever anyone says 'holidays' (without further context), to me it means people's personal, and therefore widely time-varying, Summer hols. And I've never heard anyone (in the UK or Europe) use the phrase 'THE Holidays' to refer to Christmas, or indeed any other time of the year... although I suppose it may now be non-PC to call it Christmas on this Forum (although I'm not sure why it should be non-PC anywhere at all - after all, if we're going to try to avoid all even faintly religious references, well : most online games make a big deal out of Chinese New Year (sorry, can't remember the PC term for that...), and here in Elvenar, Samhain was specifically referenced [Event Quest line] this Hallowe'en just past. Even Hallowe'en itself (All Hallows' Eve) originated in the same religion as Christmas, but it seems that that's perfectly acceptable, too...?

But then again, consistency isn't something which the PC philosophy much suffers from, by and large!

Anyway, this is certainly not a time of year when anyone (outside of the USA? Is it the same in Canada?) expects to take much time off. There are a couple of Bank/Public Holidays (single days), but beyond those, the period between Christmas [inc. Boxing Day] and New Year (27th-31st Dec inclusive) are standard working days, and many people don't get any paid/unpaid holiday over the period, nor after New Year's Day either, beyond a day or two if we're lucky - and also manage to avoid drawing the short straw in the workplace Seasonal Rota lottery. I no longer work, but I do remember it! - we were expected to work half of Christmas Eve - it's not a Public Holiday in the UK - and the shops are open until at least 6.00 pm.

Boxing Day (26th Dec) is when our version of Black Friday happens, with just about everything going on deep sale... so what with the run-up to the Big Day (min. 10% of all retail spending in the UK then), plus the Boxing Day Sales, the whole time is our busiest shopping period of the year, by far, with everything else that supports shops being necessarily very busy, too - banks, Post Office, public transport etc. Remember, no Thanksgiving here, so nothing very huge to celebrate for many months beforehand...! And we need a Winter bash to cheer us up, in the cold... :D

Oh, and - for British pubs, Christmas Day itself is also often one of the busiest days of the year... and good luck even fitting into a pub on New Year's Eve! I've been a barmaid, many moons ago, and it's mayhem... very festive, of course, and fun, but wow, the endless glasses to wash... haha. We Brits even go to restaurants for Christmas Dinner, expensive though it can be. A treat - but work for the hospitality industry! Perspectives... as usual.

No idea about German customs, mind you (? but I'd be surprised if Germany goes on holiday for a fortnight in December? Does it?)... but I'm certainly guessing that most Europeans, at least, aren't in the habit of using the term 'The Holidays' to describe it, even if it really is a lengthy official period of time off work? Perhaps the idea of 'The Holidays' would be more readily understood, and appreciated, on the US Forum? ;)

PS : I want Inno to repeat the Walpurgisnacht Event, which had just started when I first started Elvenar - back in April 2018. Not because I'm a witch (despite impressions to the contrary?!) ... but because I really, really want the Venar's Spiritual Nexus Pop/Culture building. My favourite building ever... I missed it by only about 20% of the Quest line, too. I gave it my all, even tiny as my City was... but no joy. I'm still hopeful, though...!

Last edited:

Sir Derf

Adept
People who don't 'celebrate' the particular holidays are probably effected by the generic aspects - time off from work, travel and gathering with friends and family, etc.

BTW - Hannukah Dec 18-26 and Kwanzaa Dec 26-Jan 1.

BTW-W - Despite New Year's Day occurring exactly 7 days after Christmas, in 2022, Christmas and New Year's Day fall on different days of the week. Weird, huh?

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Personally, I think it's great to have a gift giving custom whatever it's being called and whatever the reason is for it. I don't need a reason for it, I just like it as it makes people happy, it doesn't matter where it came from, it's great that it exists and we can all customise it to our needs. I just don't want to spoil a good thing just because we can't agree on what we should call it or because there might be something attached to it that people might not believe in or agree with. Let's not politicise it and just enjoy it if we want to or do something else instead.
Either way, I don't think that this conversation belongs here so let's just enjoy the event. :)

m4rt1n

Adept
I only know 1/6 so far, just perplexed by the huge amount of buildings available to look closely at so found the 1 I have in my city at the level shown, no idea whether I have to spend hours trawling through all previous event buildings, all levels of every house, workshop, manufactory or military building for both races, human or elves, the fact that the buildings could be of any chapter, any level, any race, any event makes this virtually impossible, good luck to whomever can get all right, this time it won't be me.

To add forgot about the guest race buildings and their many levels also...

Also I am seeing the quality of the images decrease and more pixilation as they are released but that could be down to the increased zoom being used.

Last edited: