• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Beginner's Guide to Elvenar

Jackluyt

Shaman
Paula has produced this very nice beginner's guide to Elvenar.
It is a growing document - please feel free to send me suggestions and corrections!!
https://tinyurl.com/2p87a949

272753974_10220453247421858_8942012617342189270_n.jpg

rock stream

Scholar
Things I wish I had time for (1) The top 4/5 AW's and why and (2) how to build your city to avoid fighting. There has been lots of info on fighting cities but very little to none on a catering city.
Very well done Paula. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it developed.

Gargon667

Mentor
(2) how to build your city to avoid fighting. There has been lots of info on fighting cities but very little to none on a catering city.

I would say that´s because catering isn´t really an option for the most active players. And those are the people writing the guides as well as reading them...

I have done an experiment coaching a perfect catering city through the game from day 1. Worked amazing for the first 5 or so chapters (potentially better than a fighter), but it slowed down a lot during the first guest races, by chapter 9 it had to be converted back into a fighting city as there was not the slightest chance the city could keep up even with less perfectly built fighting cities anymore. After the conversion the tourney scores went up again immediately (even though the AWs were all wrong now) and the city turned into a top performer in the game.
Anyway I don´t think I would bother writing much about the experiment other than that it failed as a long-term solution, but obviously there is merit to the idea as a second small tourney/spire booster, for people that want to play multiple cities and have no intention of ever fully developing the small ones.
Big city caterers are well playing the game with the hands tied behind their backs :) Not something I would write a guide about :D

Things I wish I had time for (1) The top 4/5 AW's and why and

Absolutely agree with this one, there already is a space where she talks about the AWs. Add in how amazingly powerful the ToS is for early game and how entirely negative the effect of a GA is for small towns. 99% of people give the horrible advice to start with a GA and to never build the ToS which is completely insane. The opposite is how to go about growing faster. Of course one shouldn´t hide the fact that the ToS will be deleted again in chapter 15, while the GA becomes one of the top AWs later in the game, but since this is meant as a newbie guide, not a late game guide...
But yes a general long-term planning section about AWs in general might be a good idea. Don´t build them all, build the best ones and max them instead, impact on tourneys etc, difference between military and non-military. So people don´t make expensive mistakes early on, as there are some horribly bad AWs in the first chapters.

Gargon667

Mentor
Maybe add a section on how horribly inefficient WS buildings are until chapter 15 (actually for regular WS even after that, but Magic WS become a useful building) and that every alternative source of supplies (crafting instants, AWs, event buildings, playing events for supply instants, etc) is highly preferable in order to reduce the number of WS buildings (down to zero if at all possible).
Speaking of magic buildings I didn´t see anything on them, but just avoid them early on, chapter change faster than you can upgrade them, unless you really want to spend money on them, but it´s absolutely unnecessary to have magic buildings until the higher guest race chapters. By then you probably got some for free from the spire anyway.

Only criticism: The guide seems a bit chaotic to me. hard to find specific information, it feels more like a long list of tips and tricks rather than a "guide" but it´s definitely worth the read :)

Almondum

Spellcaster
Maybe add a section on how horribly inefficient WS buildings are until chapter 15 (actually for regular WS even after that, but Magic WS become a useful building) and that every alternative source of supplies (crafting instants, AWs, event buildings, playing events for supply instants, etc) is highly preferable in order to reduce the number of WS buildings (down to zero if at all possible).
Speaking of magic buildings I didn´t see anything on them, but just avoid them early on, chapter change faster than you can upgrade them, unless you really want to spend money on them, but it´s absolutely unnecessary to have magic buildings until the higher guest race chapters. By then you probably got some for free from the spire anyway.

Only criticism: The guide seems a bit chaotic to me. hard to find specific information, it feels more like a long list of tips and tricks rather than a "guide" but it´s definitely worth the read :)

Hello Gargon,

I am a casual and my cities usually have 8 WS. I do what you say and try my best to craft Tools instants. Do you think 8 is too much? I was thinking to reduce them down to 6 to save some pop/culture for the military/manufactories.

Thanks in advance,
Almond

Jackluyt

Shaman
Hello Gargon,

I am a casual and my cities usually have 8 WS. I do what you say and try my best to craft Tools instants. Do you think 8 is too much? I was thinking to reduce them down to 6 to save some pop/culture for the military/manufactories.

Thanks in advance,
Almond

If you do two pages of the Spire, it will not be long before you have six Magic Workshops which will give far more than 8 ordinary ones.
If you do lots of Tournament every week up to round 2, you will have plenty of Power of Persuasion Instants and can feed several of your workshops every day.
If you are active in the Spire, you ought to have plenty of Teleport Spells - and could store one or two workshops to see if you can do without them.
:)

Almondum

Spellcaster
If you do two pages of the Spire, it will not be long before you have six Magic Workshops which will give far more than 8 ordinary ones.
If you do lots of Tournament every week up to round 2, you will have plenty of Power of Persuasion Instants and can feed several of your workshops every day.
If you are active in the Spire, you ought to have plenty of Teleport Spells - and could store one or two workshops to see if you can do without them.
:)

Thank you very much! So many wonderful ideas!

I will try, specially the teleport tactic, I have several and never thought about doing that!

Have fun,
Almond

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Hello Gargon,

Thanks in advance,
Almond
I don't subscribe in hard numbers, let alone getting a number for how many of each type of buildings you need from someone else. Everyone's playing style and activity level is different. Someone online a lot can do more collections and therefore, might not need as many factories or workshops. Therefore, the correct answer is always as many as your city need for your playing style :)

For example, at one point I had 10 workshops with most of them magic workshops. However, I do a decent amount of tourney and full Spire. That army isn't going to march on an empty stomach (do they eat tools?). Each training queue slot eats a big chunk of hammers. Someone who plays more casually will not need that many. There are no set number!

fionah

Novice
Paula has produced this very nice beginner's guide to Elvenar.
It is a growing document - please feel free to send me suggestions and corrections!!
https://tinyurl.com/2p87a949

272753974_10220453247421858_8942012617342189270_n.jpg
Reading through responses below - the above sounds fab. I couldn't access the link though. Has it been taken down? I would be interested in reading it even if it is a bit out of date. Anyone have access to this they can share?

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer