• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Beginners' guide to Battle encounters

• Thread starter Deleted User - 13667
  • Start date

Deleted User - 13667

Intro
=====

At start you can deploy up to 5 groups of units in each battle. The number in each group is dependent on your research level. The battle system in Elvenar is as such: each unit takes turn regardless of AI or player controlled. The turns are based on initiative.

In general, light units have better initiative. These units are the basic melee and range units you get once you have built up barracks.

Heavy units and elite units are much stronger in damage and health points. heavy melee units have low movement range but are great at taking melee damage.

Each type of unit have their own strengths and prove useful only if you can make the best use of them. Eg Heavy melee units take less damage from melee light units and would suffer more damage against range units.

Only melee units have 1x counterattack each turn against another unit that attacks it directly. You cannot choose when to counterattack. The melee unit will only counter the 1st direct attack.

Tactics
=======

At the start of each battle, bring in a light melee unit only. Light melee unit have the best initiative which would allow you to view the terrain before deciding on the formation of your units. You can retreat from the battle once you have a look without losing any unit in a group. Should be the same for both races.

1st unit is always at the center on the left. 2nd unit is 1 hex diagonal above the 1st unit. 3rd unit is 1 hex diagonal below the 1st unit. 4th unit is 1 hex diagonal above the 2nd unit. 5th unit is 1 hex diagonal below the 3rd unit. This would always be the deployment style until there is a new update on this.

Fighting style is divided into 5 types: Negotiation, Auto fight, Kamikaze, meatshield, unit type counter. There could be more but this is what I have observed and tried.

Negotiation
-----------

The negotiation process goes like this: Accept the tribute demanded or fight. You lose only lots of precious resources.

Auto fight
----------

Using Auto fight option where the AI fights on your behalf against itself. It is almost guaranteed high losses per fight. This is suicidal in my cents' worth. Never employ this tactic unless you have 5 units of sorceress against 1 unit of bandits.

Kamikaze
--------

You have chosen not to preview the battle terrain and have move all your units into the AI unit range of attack. AI units get 1st strike on your units. Losses are lower than suicidal but significant still.

Meatshield
----------

AI units are more drawn to attack light units over heavy and elite but this would only be applicable if the all units are in range. Employ 2 or more light melee units to get closer to the AI units to take damages. Heavy units can close in to strike at the units that were attacking the light melee units either by range or melee. This would reduce losses on the heavy or elite units but you are likely to lose the light melee group.

Not the best of tactics at late stage of the game where the AI has up to 8 units and each unit happen to have much more units per group than you! I found this useful up to fighting 180 - 200 provinces explored around you. Provinces only get gradually more tough this way as the exploration area is further away from your city.

Unit type counter
-----------------

I found this tactic more applicable since the loss is way too high if meatshield tactic is used past 200 provinces explored. Its about 276 of my 5xunits vs nearly 700 of AI 8xunits.

Still have the light melee unit but you must move it in a direction where you take the least number of hits by the AI units but still drawn them to your light melee unit where your heavy units can have the 1st strike.

This would help to reduce losses most significantly. Only negotiated once in the early stage of the game and fought through all others.

Summary
=======

There are various strategies to use. It depends entirely on your own taste of AI blood.
The above tactics merely offers an insight for beginners in the game to derive your own preferred style.
You can also refer to the thread
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/fight-system-sort-of-explained.434/

For examples of tactics used. Note the fight system has changed slightly since that thread was posted