• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Badly behaved players

Vesper Flash

Dreamer
Hi,
I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes. During this week something unusual happened in one of the fellowships I'm in. It looked like someone who recently joined tried to overthrow the Archmage. They'd been spreading bad rumours about the Archmage all week and generally causing chaos in the group, getting other members on their side, and trying to take over. Earlier today it all came to a head and the Archmage expelled them and apparently reported them. The member who'd been expelled then sent some pretty nasty messages (probably about 10 or 12 messages) to the whole fellowship with abuse directed at the Archmage, who was obviously very upset from all this.

I play this game to relax and have fun, but it's pretty clear that some players are out to upset other people on purpose. All this made me wonder what consequences players who do this could face. I'm concerned that this player will just try the same thing again in the next fellowship they're in, and upset more players.

That's all, just wanted to express this concern, thanks.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @Vesper Flash Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Unfortunately whilst it's the Nature of the Beast that there will be some Bad Apples within the Game, it is something that we take very seriously. We all come into this game to relax and take a well deserved break from Real Life and we want it to be a Safe Space for everyone.

In any instances of Nasty Behaviour or Bullying I recommend sending this information to our Support Team along with any screenshots of messages you may have. This can be done individually or collectively, and I assure you, this will be investigated by our Team. Whilst I am unable to confirm exactly what happens after this point, I can tell you that there will be consequences for any Player who chooses to act in this manner.

If you haven't already done so, please send a further Ticket via Support with any/all attached messages. This will be very helpful to our Team as they investigate the matter.

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
So why doesn't this game implement the /ignore <username> command, as the Forums do? And yes, I am aware that one can use the 'Report This Player' option within the game's (limited) Inbox direct messaging function (although not the live chat), which also automatically blocks that player as well, but is there really a need for adults (the game's terms specify that under-16s are not allowed to play) to report each other to some kind of 'greater authority' for what amounts to throwing a few insults around, as if they were children who need special protection from being upset?

The /ignore function works like a charm almost everywhere else online, and it's been a feature of many online games I've played since at least the 1990s.

In the world of Anti-Social Meeja they naturally have a politically correct new name for it, i.e. 'Block User', but the functionality is identical - no need to invoke any 'higher authority' in order to remedy a problem which exists solely between two individuals.

Far easier, in my view, than bringing in outsiders to judge what is or isn't 'offensive'... just leave it up to individuals to decide for themselves, especially now that virtually anything anyone says, about anything at all, will be considered 'offensive' by someone, somewhere... or even mobs of someones :/

Last edited:

Julian

Sorcerer
Very true, Laurelin. However, Vesper also raised the issue of the culprit going on and mucking up other fellowships. That would require a higher authority in Support to stamp out.

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
A guy in my world started creating lot of new accounts with nasty and rudes names to mock and bully specifically one female player. This player ended up leaving the game after support didn´t make nothing to stop that player from harassing her and her former fellows also from being attacked with multiple rude messages.
I reported those nasty new accounts and looks like they were removed.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I experienced this exact same thing on Winyandor a couple of years ago when a player for no good reason was highly abusive towards me. Eventually, having been on the receiving end of his tirade for about 3 days on end I removed him from the fellowship. He then continued to send me abusive messages. I provided evidence of all this to Inno Support who appeared to do absolutely nothing about it although I was able to get this person's subsequent messages blocked.

Fast forward a year or so and I was contacted by another AM on Arendyll who was having the exact same problem with this player. The pattern of abuse was identical and having been removed by the AM he continued to message her whole FS to insult her. She too passed all this on to support but yet again nothing happened and this player is still at large. The AM, however, has quit the game.

All of which begs the question of what does a player have to do in order to actually get removed from the game?

Vesper Flash

Dreamer
Thanks for all your replies. The Archmage I mentioned before is still being bullied and she messaged us all saying she'd reported the culprit several times. Over the last half hour or so, some of the culprit's messages have started showing as 'ignored'.

As people have said, some kind of 'block' or 'ignore' button would be a good addition, and some games allow players to be blacklisted so that everyone else in the game knows to be wary of them.

Was sorry to hear about past situations that led to someone quitting the game. I'd also like to see an answer to Edward's question about what a player has to do before being removed.

SkyRider99

Mentor
some kind of 'block' or 'ignore' button would be a good addition, and some games allow players to be blacklisted

Hi Vesper. I really hope the issue with that nasty player has resolved. Elvenar is all about having a bit o' fun, and these type of trolls should crawl back under the rock they came from.

I'm inclined to support the 'block/ignore' idea. It's been suggested previously. I don't see it happening any time soon though :)

I'd be cautious about giving players the power to issue 'blacklist. I'm afraid there are certain personality types who would abuse the privilege and use it to attack and bully any one they don't like. This just perpetuates the problem.

And rather than having Inno Support implement a 'blacklist' I'd rather just have them investigate and eject the offender. The rules and policies are pretty clear.

Inno support and even the forum mods and managers appear to be keen about keeping the disreputable and downright nasty players out of the game. Power belongum them. I hope they remove these trolls quickly.

Kind Regards,

Sky

BlueBlou

Illusionist
They can still mail you, although you can’t see what they wrote. Still upsetting in my opinion as you know they still wrote to you. Would be better if you never see their mail again in the mail system.

Gargon667

Mentor
The blacklist is a horrible idea, because all those abused people you are talking about would end up on that list faster than any abuser, you can bet on that.

As to what you have to do to face serious consequences: Lots and repeatedly so... (and no twice is not repeated enough ;) ) We usually have the same discussion about people with push accounts, but it is just as true with any other kind of rule breaking.

Cheryn

Bard
We usually have the same discussion about people with push accounts, but it is just as true with any other kind of rule breaking.

What exactly is a push account? The one/two who I did threaten to expel even though I don't know how, kept talking about that.

Pauly7

Magus
I've had a couple of similar weirdos in my time. The first step is to expel them from the FS, but there have been a couple of times where I've had to ignore some abusive messages. The important thing is, though - Never respond to an abusive message. Don't rise to it. Don't empower them by reacting. Always just ignore. They'll get bored pretty quickly.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
In any instances of Nasty Behaviour or Bullying I recommend sending this information to our Support Team along with any screenshots of messages you may have. This can be done individually or collectively, and I assure you, this will be investigated by our Team. Whilst I am unable to confirm exactly what happens after this point, I can tell you that there will be consequences for any Player who chooses to act in this manner.
Herodite.

In both the cases I referred to, involving the same individual, who was highly abusive and threatening to myself and some time later to another AM, and who, when blocked by request, then started to continue his tirade by messaging the whole FS he'd been ejected from, there were no consequences whatsoever and nothing happened, apart from the AM deciding to leave the game. The offending player is still active in both Arendyll and Winyandor.

Cheryn

Bard
That in itself is sufficient grounds for Inno Support to eject them from the game! I can't imagine why they haven't done so.

I didn't save the messages. Once I threatened to expel them or turn over to AM they quit fellowship and I was good with that. So no proof to turn in. I still know their names forever though. And yes, running between worlds...Arendyll and Winyandor I'm pretty sure, probably another world too! Not that different worlds can hurt anything, but you can track them to some extent, is what I meant. They/he might be the same terrorizors.

Last edited: