• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Army power

Deleted User - 1634960

Hi, @Ladamaree ,
You improve the strength of your armies in 2 ways:
  1. Increasing the size of the army in the field by Researching Squad Size Upgrade Technologies.
  2. Improving the power of the individual Units by Researching the Unit Technologies.
It will take time, but if you don't step too far out in the World Map you should be able to manage. ;)

Gargon667

Mentor
Hi, @Ladamaree ,
You improve the strength of your armies in 2 ways:
  1. Increasing the size of the army in the field by Researching Squad Size Upgrade Technologies.
  2. Improving the power of the individual Units by Researching the Unit Technologies.
It will take time, but if you don't step too far out in the World Map you should be able to manage. ;)

Interesting take on the question I wouldn´t even have thought of in an hour of thinking about it (well the second one I would have gotten to...)

what did you do to increase the strength of your army ??

My answer would be:

Army size:
- AWs (Needles, Flying Academy, Simia Sapies)
- time boosters from various sources (mainly the spire)
- building all 3 troop producing buildings (and upgrading them to max level)
- Brown Bear evolving Pet

Army strength:
- AWs (Martial Monastery/Sanctuary, Needles, Dragon Abbey, Toads Temple, Time Warp with Polar Bear)
- 5-day expiring booster buildings from Crafting in the Magic Academy (and the spire)
- Fire Phoenix evolving Pet

Pauly7

Magus
That's really misleading, unless he specifically said he was talking about province encounter fighting - which most people aren't.

No. 2 is more relevant, but then that's only something which happens automatically by playing the game, so not a thing someone can try to influence for an improvement.

Army size:
- AWs (Needles, Flying Academy, Simia Sapies)
- time boosters from various sources (mainly the spire)
- building all 3 troop producing buildings (and upgrading them to max level)
- Brown Bear evolving Pet

Army strength:
- AWs (Martial Monastery/Sanctuary, Needles, Dragon Abbey, Toads Temple, Time Warp with Polar Bear)
- 5-day expiring booster buildings from Crafting in the Magic Academy (and the spire)
- Fire Phoenix evolving Pet
Yeah, these things (could we put UUUs and DAs in 'army size'? Not even sure myself.) Timewarp is a tenuous one though.

Of course this all depends how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go with this. There are many things that contribute indirectly towards the strength of an army, particularly supplies production. So I could bring workshops into this, or any building that produces or boost supplies.

Last edited:

Far Reach

Conjurer
That's really misleading, unless he specifically said he was talking about province encounter fighting - which most people aren't.

Based on Elvenstats etc., @Ladamaree has a small but growing city in Chapter 1, and looks to be very new to the game. @Rilian has provided a good answer for a player in that situation. @Gargon667 has of course provided an appropriate answer for a veteran player, but not one which would be helpful for a new one.

@Ladamaree - please say if you'd like a fuller answer. Alternatively you might prefer to ask in the Fellowship which you've joined.

Pauly7

Magus
Based on Elvenstats etc., @Ladamaree has a small but growing city in Chapter 1, and looks to be very new to the game. @Rilian has provided a good answer for a player in that situation. @Gargon667 has of course provided an appropriate answer for a veteran player, but not one which would be helpful for a new one.
Even for a new player, if he's thinking he wants to do better in tournaments he would then start looking for squad size upgrades, which won't help at all. Then he'll look for troop upgrade researches. OK, they're important, but they will only happen when they will happen.

So the best advice for a new player is -
  • Always upgrade your barracks to the max level you can
  • Build and upgrade enough armouries so that your barracks can keep training troops for at least 7 or 8 hours at a time
  • Craft temporary military buildings in the MA (Unleashed Unit Upgrade, Magnificent Mage Multiplier, Enlightened Light Ranged). Though this is difficult before chapter 3.
  • Craft pet foods when you see them to build a collection for when they're useful
  • Look out for the military Ancient Wonders becoming available (that @Gargon667 mentions) and build them when you can (especially Martial Monastery / Sanctuary).
  • Learn how to do manual fighting - It's more time consuming, but it isn't complicated when you know how and will save a lot of troops (only applies if you're playing the PC version of the game).
  • Build and upgrade enough workshops to pay for the troops you're training.
  • Look out for the supplies boosting Ancient Wonders when they appear (particularly Prosperity Towers)

Giraffi

Enchanter
Practice, practice, practice and get to know which troops are better against which enemies. The rest comes from playing the game. I can have all the boosters in the world, but if I use the wrong troops, I am setting myself up for wipe-out.

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
could we put UUUs and DAs in 'army size'? Not even sure myself.
These are definitely army strength, in that they make your units tougher, so over several rounds of exchanging fire, you take less damage, and as a result inflict more.

As a take it to extreme: infinite hit point units always win against finite hit points, so long as they possess some ability to do damage, however small it is.

Pauly7

Magus
These are definitely army strength, in that they make your units tougher, so over several rounds of exchanging fire, you take less damage, and as a result inflict more.
I kind of agree with you, but I could still argue it both ways. A UUU gives extra health points to your squad so surely that's a bit like having a bigger number of units in each squad and hence it could seem like something for army size.

Gargon667

Mentor
I kind of agree with you, but I could still argue it both ways. A UUU gives extra health points to your squad so surely that's a bit like having a bigger number of units in each squad and hence it could seem like something for army size.

You can say if you use UUUs more of your units will survive and thus increase your army size. However, I would definitely keep them in army strength, because that is what they do directly. And the are things army strength boosts can do that army size boosts won´t. But that´s an advanced topic again, but to simplify it: Army size will let you do more of the same, but if you lose, you lose, it doesn´t help to throw more units at the same problem. Army strength boosts can turn a losing battle into a winning battle.

Gargon667

Mentor
@Gargon667[/USER] has of course provided an appropriate answer for a veteran player, but not one which would be helpful for a new one.

Well Veteran may be exaggerated, but say from chapter 3 onwards :)

Chapters 1 and 2 will be done soon enough, not much one can do there, but I´d go with @Pauly7 first 2 points: Upgrade the barracks to the max level possible and build armories to make the queue long enough for 24/7 production, depending on how often one logs in to collect.

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
The same argument could be applied to ELR and MMM: because you do more damage, you suffer less in return, and hence more of your units survive...

Or you could say tougher units make for a stronger army, but not a larger army.

SkyRider99

Mentor
It seems that every time I increase my troop unit sizes, the enemy units expand to clobber me.

The original question from @Ladamaree was a bit open ended, but the 'strength' of the troops in your army units can be increased by completing the relevant Research items. Thus upgrading each troop type from one star to three star.

I also agree with @Wibbly Woo that the temporary UUU, MMM, ELR and Dwarven Armorer buildings will increase troop 'strength' in particular.

Gargon667

Mentor
It seems that every time I increase my troop unit sizes, the enemy units expand to clobber me.

What do you mean by troop unit size? There is something called unit size, but I doubt that is actually what you mean, because it cannot be changed. It is one of my favorite pet peeves :D Must be from a time when they thought that fighting would become more complex, which then never happened or they just copied the code from another game where it has some importance. In elvenar it is a completely pointless number without any relevance to gameplay well other than confuse people that bother to get into fighting and actually reading up on units haha.

Anyway whatever you mean, it only seems so to you, because in reality it does nothing to improve your enemies, as your enemies are decided by a very limited amount of input data and nothing among them that fits your description :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
Squad size. Units per squad. As increased by the corresponding research activations. My latest activation was research 'Squad Size Upgrade 64'. The larger the number of troops I am then able to send to battle, the larger it *seems* that the enemy numbers become. The research blurb says I have 'bigger armies'. But the game ensures the enemy numbers increase too.

Far Reach

Conjurer
The larger the number of troops I am then able to send to battle, the larger it *seems* that the enemy numbers become. The research blurb says I have 'bigger armies'. But the game ensures the enemy numbers increase too.

Squad Size (as researched on the technology tree) determines how big your army is when fighting on the World Map. It doesn't affect the size of the enemy army at all. (The enemy army size increases with each province though, but this can be mitigated by researching "Advanced Scouts").

Squad Size is irrelevant to Tournament and Spire battles. Those army sizes are calculated differently.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Aha. So it's my persistent scouting. That accounts for it. I definitely have too many (640) solved provinces. Thanks for solving the puzzle. It does seem unnecessarily cruel to be penalised for simply spreading my neighbourhood and helping other players with NH and a few tax free trades. I got caught in the trap :( But I got a few KP and relics out of it. Plus the NH and trades on the World Map aren't a bad thing either.

I researched Advanced Scouts way back in Ch XV. Any mitigation was too small for me to notice, but as you say it probably 'helped'.

I'll be passing this on to my FS as a warning. Cheers @Far Reach. I can only wonder how I've penalised myself with Tournaments and Spire :oops:

Gargon667

Mentor
Aha. So it's my persistent scouting. That accounts for it. I definitely have too many (640) solved provinces. Thanks for solving the puzzle. It does seem unnecessarily cruel to be penalised for simply spreading my neighbourhood and helping other players with NH and a few tax free trades. I got caught in the trap :( But I got a few KP and relics out of it. Plus the NH and trades on the World Map aren't a bad thing either.

I researched Advanced Scouts way back in Ch XV. Any mitigation was too small for me to notice, but as you say it probably 'helped'.

I'll be passing this on to my FS as a warning. Cheers @Far Reach. I can only wonder how I've penalised myself with Tournaments and Spire :oops:

Why would you stop scouting? You´re not getting any benefit from not scouting. Do you have trouble fighting them? It is easy enough if you do it when you have a few booster buildings placed for a push tourney etc. but you can just as well negotiate them, they are ridiculously cheap to cater compared to higher tourney provinces... I find it´s always worth scouting. Can´t have too many neighbours :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
I'm hearin' you @Gargon667. I've thought that way too. Having now scouted 640 provinces though I'm feeling the effects of large enemy troop numbers. I do use the troop booster buildings, when I can get them. I constantly check my MA but there are very few offered. And I seem to be 'unlucky' on the Spire :(

And tournament provinces above 20 and 30 are expensive to cater. Mostly for orcs and mana, both of which I need for other parts of the game. I'm guessing I'm not alone with that. Also I choose to only fight on the Spire, suffering the occasional massacre along the way :)

But it's been good to hear forum feedback on this thread.