• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Armory limit and strategy

Jake65

Sage
I've always wondered - once all the Training Slots are open, is there any other effect of upgrading the Barracks [or its two analogues] besides:

1. Increasing Training speed;
2. Increasing Ranking Points; and
3. Altering the building's footprint if it will better fit one's layout...?

There seems to be no other effect, according to the Barracks / Training Grounds / Mercenary Camp Tooltips, but are there perhaps any hidden ones?

Thank in advance... :)
1. I think it's the Needles that increases Barracks training speed. There might be other wonders (haven't checked) that increase the speed of the other two. If so, AWs could compensate to increase the speed without upgrading the barracks, etc.
2. Meh :)
3. Interesting angle, possibly an effective space saver when used with AWs as in 1. After opening the 5 slots you could look ahead at the size changes, pick the one you want, upgrade to that level and then leave it at that.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
1. I think it's the Needles that increases Barracks training speed. There might be other wonders (haven't checked) that increase the speed of the other two. If so, AWs could compensate to increase the speed without upgrading the barracks, etc.
2. Meh :)
3. Interesting angle, possibly an effective space saver when used with AWs as in 1. After opening the 5 slots you could look ahead at the size changes, pick the one you want, upgrade to that level and then leave it at that.
Upgrading all military buildings increases their training speed. That's the main (for me, the only) reason to upgrade them. Faster training = more troops.

And yes, Needles also increases the training speed of the Barracks, Flying Academy the mercenary camp and Victory Springs the training grounds.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Jake65 @MinervaOz : Thank you! I'm sort-of OK at the moment with my Training Speed - and oddly, the Needles' effect of increasing the Barracks' speed [with mine still being at Level 25 - under-levelled] is actually something which I wish that AW *wouldn't* do - if only to keep the Barracks in line with the other two Troop-producing buildings, since - for me - it's better the closer they all get to min. 18 hours [but ideally about 24 hours] per 5 slots.

But I love the Needles' boost [mine is at Level 21] to Light Ranged Troops' attack power - that's still my most commonly used type of Unit, even in situations where they'd mostly die without Manual Combat, because I play as Elf in Ch.XII and still have only 2* Blossom Mages [very Auto-fight friendly], with 3* Sorceresses being only somewhat useful; I find them to be anything from ideal to entirely useless - but again, only because I rarely Auto-fight. The AI seems to understand only the Move 2 / Strike 5 class of Mage, and keeps killing Sorcs by parking them within range of high-damage Heavy (or, much worse, Light Ranged/Light Melee) AI Units.

Also : I've come up with one other possible reason to upgrade the Barracks, or indeed anything else : just for the purely cosmetic appearance or likeability of the animations... with that aspect, of course, being 100% subjective, but NOT irrelevant. In the primary other game I play (a PC-only MMORPG, so not comparable to Elvenar), I do spend money, since I see gaming as a main hobby of mine - and there are few of those which are wholly free [even reading library-only books costs a bus fare to the library!]. In that game I've spent most of my cash on purely cosmetic aspects of the game, and the rest on a few convenience factors. I'm entirely non-competitive by nature, so even if MMOs allowed players to pay for real advantage, such as fast-levelling, more powerful weapons and armour, or whatever, as many don't, I wouldn't spend anything on that anyway.

There are as many reasons to pay to play any game as that particular game offers, after all, and not everyone will find every aspect appealing.

... and here we have a classic example of L. Loquax appearing entirely uninvited - even by me (no, really!} - and trying to derail this post...! Argh.

Sorry... :D

Last edited:

Jake65

Sage
something which I wish that AW *wouldn't* do
Ha, oddly enough I haven't built the needles for this exact reason. I like all three troop buildings to have a similar production time so I'd have to place all 3 wonders to keep this balance and I don't want to use up that much space.
Yet...... :)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Jake65 : Ha, same! I actually deleted my Flying Academy - at about L. 12, I think? - because (a) I am daft and thought it was the Dragon Abbey, at first - now, THAT is useful to me! - and (b) although I was quite happy about the Mercenary Camp speed-up effect, the Tourney Formula was eating me alive, and because I am still valiantly attempting to keep my City footprint at the point where it froze dead, when the Formula arrived (at 81 Expansions - a nice tidy 9 x 9 square, fortunately) - even though I now have 18 Research & Map Expansions just sitting there in Inventory (I used to love placing them... ah, memories!)... because of that, anyway - my at least small-ish City footprint determination plus best-only AWs - I can't do a lot in terms of compensating for the dreaded Formula other than delete AWs. That's where my L.18 (!) Mountain Halls went, last week... Temple of the Toads is too important, and for a lazy logger-on like me, so is the ETC... so it was bye-bye to the Dwarven Rollercoaster.

And as for EVER building the Victory Springs, to speed up the Training Grounds... well, firstly I'd need to be making better use of it than just Dryads and Doggoes, and secondly Inno would need to big-up the HP of Light Melee by, ooh, maybe 200% or more - and THEN I might consider it!

:D

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
even though I now have 18 Research & Map Expansions just sitting there in Inventory (I used to love placing them... ah, memories!)...

Maybe, it's time to use them now to get the enjoyment back and do some decorating. :)
The formula effect can be easily offset by good space use decisions so it won't cause any harm.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I am impressed and immensely gratified by your recognition of the reference. :cool:
... whereas I, on the other hand, would probably feel rather DEpressed if that truly immortal reference were NOT - widely! - recognised... ;)
It would be nearly as bad as nobody immediately referring to a fox &c &c whenever another person mentions the words 'cunning' and 'plan'.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
... whereas I, on the other hand, would probably feel rather DEpressed if that truly immortal reference were NOT - widely! - recognised... ;)
It would be nearly as bad as nobody immediately referring to a fox &c &c whenever another person mentions the words 'cunning' and 'plan'.

You mean a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it?