• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

After FA

Jake65

Sage
Anybody else like to sit back for a while and just enjoy the wide open space left after an FA?

PostFA~Space.jpg

I do :)

owl76

Bard
For the previous FA to the one we just had my fellowship were top-20 for the first time and got bronze guards (2x1 culture building) as a reward. For a few hours I had this placed in the centre of the space opened up post FA cleanup.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Wow, @Jake65 - that is a VERY accurate representation of Google's Easter Egg dinosaur! In fact, did Google pinch it from an earlier game...?

And @owl76 : Congrats! I remember when I first won the Bronze Guards, in a former FS, thanks to reaching Place 17, but that was in the old FA format, and it took a lot of 'cat-herding', too... haha. Far from easy, and quite an achievement! I've even spent 4 x RRs upgrading mine to Chapter level, too - it's not a bad building stats-wise, as well as pride-wise! :)

My after-FA attitude this time, though is:

1. It really IS boring watching other Badges mount up, while everyone sits around just waiting for Coins and Bracelets to come in. And as I'd thought, I ended up with 100+ unused Guards Badges and 80+ Wonder Badges; had I been trying to earn Wonders, it would have been more like 120+ at least, and of course other Badges would have been mounting, too, but why bother when it ALL relies (in a FS without low-Chapter Cities and/or the willingness to go mad with Teleports, Coin Rains, and T1 Chapter-level Manus) on the same thing... waiting for Coins and Bracelets?!

2. Even Arcane Residues and Ghosts were in excess for our FS, as we slowly crawled through the Pit - along with almost every other FS, according to the scores, which went up at about one Pit/hour or so, with none of them even trying to 'make a break for the top' at the last minute, as was once the case, giving the rest of us quite a show as the race during the final hours was often well and truly on! I'm not a fan of racing or competing at all, for any reason other than for [worthwhile] rewards and/or to support my FS within reason (not to a City-disabling level; that's daft IMO, even for the Team), but I feel sorry for those FSs which used to enjoy the competitive spirit of the final few hours of the FA.

3. Oh, and even though this will probably mean that I won't even complete the first 10 Tourney Provinces to 6*, as I usually do, plus more because it's just fun and helps the FS to grab those extra-Chest RRs, I was so bored by the end of the FA that I literally forgot to log in yesterday.

That's how I feel about the last FA. Bored. And I actually quite like them, so that wasn't a foregone conclusion at all. Bring back the balance! :mad:

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Oh yes indeed... I'm actually starting to wonder why I'm here, writing about the FA, when Minecraft is sitting there on my hard drive... :D

[Edited because I am so good at typos, I can even can get them into one sentence...! Bah.]

Laurelin

Sorcerer
NOSTALGIA ATTACK !!

"Damn, I'm good...!"

Poor old Duke. If only Doom hadn't beaten him to market... but then again, Doom is the first, the best, and the only FPS game I'll ever really love!

:D

Laurelin

Sorcerer
"... and I'm all out of gum".

Ha, I can keep this up for - well, for as long as my Duke quotes last out! Sadly he didn't have that many, did he? Even though I, being an utter saddo, STILL have the old .wav versions of them which we used to spam at each other in chat rooms, to much hilarity, many Moons ago...!

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Oh AND! I think I'm right in thinking that when Duke goes into the loos, shortly after the Aliens shoot up his ride (stole another one, there.. nearly!), we see the first-ever example of a video game avatar reflected in a mirror? When he adjusts his shades while admiring himself?

Really, only Serious Sam had (has?) as much class as DN, being a parody of him - and just as much gameplay fun, too! Oh those were the days!

Those games were called Run-N-Gun then, IIRC, weren't they, not FPSs? I still have Doom, btw; 1 & 2, with both the original & bugfixed code... :)

OK, I stop now :D

Jake65

Sage
we see the first-ever example of a video game avatar reflected in a mirror?
Interesting, I didn't know that.
Spacebar I think, to hear him comment on how good looking he thought he was :)

Jake65

Sage
Talk about taking a thread off topic :D

Laurelin

Sorcerer
That does sound very sad Laurelin. Somewhat demoralising in a way.
Honest answer? Who actually cares what Inno thinks of us, if we're having fun [in my case] for near-free, having only ever paid them £20, once, which works out at £0.015, so call it 2p, per day across the past 4 years and 9 months, give or take a Leap Year here & there. Quite a bargain!

Also : we 'remainders' (triple-checking spelling, there; I'm not sure whether anyone's head still either expands to planet-size with pride and/or melts with rage if accused of being a Remainer, but I'm not taking any chances!)... ahem, we may not [collectively] pay Inno (much?), but we DO have a vital place; we encourage others to play, and in some cases, of course, to pay, too. After all, online multiplayer games need, well, multiple players, or they may as well just switch the servers off, whether we (speaking personally only!) cheapskate leeches encourage The Quality who cough up the readies to compete, to complement, or to catch up with us, according to our in-game talents, habits, and choix du jour...!

We also provide knowledge, experience, and of course friendship to new players, which are naturally priceless. So we ain't exactly pointless... :)

The above (often mostly para. 1, but with para. 2 being equally important to savvy companies) about sums up the value of Free players, certainly as far as strongly revenue-driven gaming houses are concerned (side note : gaming companies are often interestingly frank about their real motives & strategies in the gaming Press, and even in YouTube videos of marketing presentations and similar which aren't aimed at players).

That said, there are still plenty of game companies, albeit not so much in the mobile world, which are happy enough to make a few quid without attempting to corner the world's money markets, so they don't solely, or even primarily, value the Almighty Bottom Line at the expense of such old-fashioned video gaming notions as company reputation/popularity, customer loyalty and goodwill, and of course the quality, longevity, excellence, playability, and general fun factor of their game(s)... the tusnami of Corporate Greed hasn't swallowed up everything yet - if ever - and game devs in particular are often a strange breed whose [frequently justified] pride in their creative talent, coding precision, and design skill trumps any amount of money... fortunately for those of us whose primary hobby is staring at a screen while tapping keys and pushing a mouse around!

Hmm. Now that I put it like that, perhaps I really should remember how to read a book, just now and then...?! Haha.

But on the bright side, at least I am good enough to be residue.
Assuming you don't take the eccentric view that Hope was actually - and very psychoanalytically, I'd say - the worst of the plagues unleashed by Pandora's curiosity, you could say that the residue left in THAT jar, after the rest had escaped, was the finest vintage of all! ;)

... going with a sort of 'wine jar' metaphor there; they do say it was Pandora's Jar, rather than Box... but now I don't think it works. Oh well.

Sleep needed here, methinks!

Or am I in danger of being swept under the carpet?
Nah... somehow I doubt that.

Talk about taking a thread off topic
Hey @Jake65! Guess what? I just took a Form thread waaaaaaaaaaay off-topic! Wanna check it out?! Look ^ up there!

... Sorry.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Hmm. Now that I put it like that, perhaps I really should remember how to read a book, just now and then...?!
Re-reading The Odyssey again. And stumbled across a copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea yesterday while browsing the local bookshop. And couldn't resist also buying a bargain copy of Brave New World on the way to the checkout. I lost my copy some years back and it seems like time to revisit Mr. Huxley, if only to throw these politician bozos into sharp relief. :cool: