• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

New Game Features A resource that grows and is toxic

SpaceCowboy

Soothsayer
Yeah - sound fun doesn't it?

This is an idea for a new game mechanic. I'm posting it here just because I think it is interesting, and might spawn a nice conversation. I'm sure Inno already has plans for the coming chapters, but I was wondering what a cool new type of resource could look like (now that we have all nine tiers unlocked), that actually has a novel mechanic associated with it. So here it is.

First off, this would be a resource that cannot be produced - it grows! It does so in the same way that decaying resources decay, by 10% overnight. So the more you have, the more you get. The catch is, this stuff is toxic. The more you have, the higher the negative impact on your city. This could have a number of possible effects:
  • increased decay for decaying resources
  • decay for non-decaying resources
  • reduced yield from production buildings
  • possibly more?
The idea is that you need to balance how much you have. If you have too little, you won't grow enough (and of course you'd need that resource for something - there's enough options here). If you have too much, the rest of your city gets contaminated.

There could be special buildings that increase your safe storage capacity - the amount up to which there are no negative effects.

I think this sounds very interesting - what does everyone else think? This could be a permanent thing, or maybe a guest race resource that is only needed for a single chapter. I'm not really good at coming up with lore - does anyone have good ideas for that?

Jake65

Sage
Sounds like you're describing orc dung :D
I like the idea, it would add an interesting twist.
Test drive it as a guest race resource and see how it works.

SkyRider99

Mentor
I salute your idea @SpaceCowboy. However I am unable to offer my support.

There is a colloquial saying, often attributed to an ancient Chinese curse: 'May you live in interesting times.'

There is too much (IMO) decay and demoralising aspects to the the game already. Sentient goods, Ascended goods, divine seeds, mana, unurium already get attacked every day. For my part, I do not wish for yet another destructive force in the game.

m4rt1n

Adept
I great thought, but a total destructive force in the game, as @SkyRider99 describes, that would put off players from unlocking the tech and progressing further unless it came with great rewards such as 10% decrease in tourney and spire difficulty as well for example.

Jake65

Sage
I hear what @SkyRider99 is saying, I haven't reached ascended goods or unurium yet (thankfully?)
I agree with @m4rt1n about a benefit. That would work, significant boost for keeping it below/above a certain level but a decay if it shifts the other way

SpaceCowboy

Soothsayer
I get the sentiment - as far as I'm concerned, this could replace one of the other resources. I never really understood why they added Unurium and Ascended Goods the way they did - it seems much too similar to Seeds and Sentient goods.

I agree @Jake65, it might be interesting to try out as a guest race system.

JollyElf

Soothsayer
How about an Aw in chapter 21… that decreases spire and tournament squad size… and the corresponding catering costs…
(Yes. Chapter 21 is under preparation… from a mod in beta)

JollyElf

Soothsayer
But yeah. The original idea of toxic growth is a simulation of the actual world. We are increasing our carbon footprint… and we have to do something to keep it in check…