• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

New Game Features A repeat button for the cyclable-quests

• Thread starter DeletedUser7174
  • Start date

DeletedUser7174

Everyone will at some point be in a position where they can fulfil one of the optional quests multiple times.
I encounter this every day and often don't have the time (or patience) to keep cycling through to get back to the quest I want.
Wouldn't it be great to have a "Repeat" button available, when you collect the quest reward, so the game doesn't cycle over to the next quest?
Is this possible to do?

DeletedUser5532

At present it is not possible to do that, because of the way the game code works. The devs have said they are working on a solution, so hopefully they come out with something soon.

Deleted User - 1634960

About 3 years ago they were talking about not being able to repeat cyclable quests at all. Don't get your hopes up. ;)

DeletedUser7174

Thanks for your replies. I'd love to hear the viewpoint of one of the Devs, if possible?
I'm disappointed that a feature which could be extremely popular hasn't had more consideration.
The Gamers Gems of Knowledge page states "Quests are an important part of playing Elvenar. They are a significant source for the coins and supplies you need to progress that should not be overlooked."
I think everyone can accept that as a true statement, so surely the Optional Quest feature should be reviewed, updated and improved as a matter of course?
As mentioned above, it would also be a major boon during Adventures.
At the moment the process is cumbersome to use and detracts significantly from the game.
Let's drum up some support and convince the Devs this needs to be looked at and seriously considered!

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
The are three different scenarios where declinable quest windows appear:

Optional chapter quests: for these the current implementation is great and the confirmation window makes sense since these quests never reappear.

Cyclable quests: my understanding is that they were meant to help the new players get some additional coins and supplies. The confirmation window must not be there, I remember that I did some 1-day productions because I was afraid to decline that quest. I was annoyed, and even more so when I learned that the sole purpose of this confirmation window is to lead you astray :mad:.
Not sure whether we need a "Repeat" button, this feature is only useful in the early chapters. Personally, I would not mind if it worked only up to chapter 8.

Fellowship adventures: Tedious on mobile and barely playable, broken beyond imagination on PC. A "Repeat" button would help greatly and should be the least improvement to implement before the next FA comes to the live servers. There are better interfaces than that, though. (Think "craftsmanship challenges" )

Deleted User - 341074

About 3 years ago they were talking about not being able to repeat cyclable quests at all. Don't get your hopes up. ;)
IIRC they did in fact get rid of the cycling quests on beta, but reinstated them due to player outrage.
Too bad really, we could have had interesting quests instead for 3 years....

For the FA though, the devs just crapped the bed. They spent time effort and resources to create the perfect quest system for the "challenges" but didn't put it in for the FA? Ridiculous.

Pauly7

Magus
Thanks for your replies. I'd love to hear the viewpoint of one of the Devs, if possible?
Ah, you must be new. :)

I think everyone can accept that as a true statement, so surely the Optional Quest feature should be reviewed, updated and improved as a matter of course?
And to add something useful... The problem is not that they are not looking at it or reviewing it. The problem is that the devs feel like the game is better for making its players endlessly click in order to pick up these rewards. We, on the forum, all tend to disagree, but the same conversation has been had as long as I've been playing this game. It would probably take everyone stopping using the feature to instigate change (assuming they are able to monitor that activity.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paladestar

Enchanter
At present it is not possible to do that, because of the way the game code works.

That's just not true.

Regardless, an easier way to change the generic quests (e.g. a drop-down list of quests to pick from) is something that should have been added to the game a long time ago!

DeletedUser5532

That's just not true.

It would be nice if that was the case, and then we could get the changes that we all as players crave for, but sadly it is true. I base this statement on the insights and education of the game that I acquired while working as a support moderator for the game. The quests at present work on a system similar to the old programming code of IF, AND, OR. Each quest in line will move to the next one, IF the quest is completed, OR the quest is declined. There is no other way to move forward on this type of setup, and the devs have said many times that it will require a complete reworking of the quest system to enable us to get the changes that we want.

It has been said that the challenge system is a solution, but sadly that would not work for the FA, as the challenge system is working on collecting items, rather than completing quests, and as such is a singular addition with waypoint rewards.

Deleted User - 341074

It would be nice if that was the case.....The quests at present work on a system similar to the old programming code of IF, AND, OR. Each quest in line will move to the next one, IF the quest is completed, OR the quest is declined. There is no other way to move forward on this type of setup
On mobile they added a "next" button in the FA quests, and this proves they absolutely could have added a "previous" instead and had the quests cycle backward
e.g
Current:
Complete quest #7
game cycles to quest #8 automatically
player clicks "next" 12 times until they are back at #7

Fixed:
Complete quest #7
game cycles to quest #8 automatically
player clicks "previous" 1 time and they are back at #7 (if they click again they'll be on #6, then 5 etc)

If it can't actually go "backward" then just have it go "forwards" 12x per click for the same result

It has been said that the challenge system is a solution, but sadly that would not work for the FA
Nonsense.

Challenges:
When you collect a beverages production you gain 1 medal
When you collect a toolboxes production you gain 35 medals.

Fellowhip adventures
When you collect a beverages production you gain 1 dwarven badge
When you collect a toolboxes production you gain 1 blacksmith badge
Adjust the requirements in each FA waypoint accordingly.

Paladestar

Enchanter
On mobile they added a "next" button in the FA quests, and this proves they absolutely could have added a "previous" instead and had the quests cycle backward.
If it can't actually go "backward" then just have it go "forwards" 12x per click for the same result.

If you delve into the requests the client makes to the server, when you decline a quest the client makes an API call to an "Abort Quest" method, the API then returns the next quest in your current generic quest sequence. So yes, you can only ever go forward, unless the developers update their API.

You hit the nail on the head though, the facility to go forward is indeed enough for the developers of the UI to be able to add a repeat quest button or to add a drop-down list that lets the player select any quest, without requiring any changes to the API. For example, a player wants to keep repeating the "Gain four relics" quest while progressing a tournament - Player picks the applicable quest from a drop-down list of all the quests, the UI code repeatedly calls the "Abort Quest" method until it sees that the current quest now matches what the player selected in the drop-down.

I don't personally know whether or not the developers have ever said it's not possible, but that excuse just won't fly. The current API functionality in this regard is horribly inefficient and if this loop was ever implemented in the UI, rather than updating the API to provide a more suitable quest switching method, you could end up with the client sending 20 or so requests to the server to change to the desired quest. So, yes, inefficient, but not impossible. Technically, that's what happens right now anyway, if a player manually cycles the quests - decline manually 20 times, 20 requests go to the server. Quest cycling by players would no doubt go up though if such a change was ever made - if it was as simple as selecting the quest you wanted from a drop-down list to be able to jump to any quest, or repeat any quest, it'd be far less effort than the 60 or so manual clicks that it takes most people right now to be able to repeat a quest.

Aisling1

Conjurer
Optional quests.

This is the closest thread I could find.

All my buildings are way beyond upgrade to lvl 11 or beyond.. so a quest means knocking and rebuilding or ignore it, or occasionally get lucky...
I've scouted and completed all available province expansions, again..
I can do the beverages, bread and I can do the gain goods, supplies..
But .. all my manufactories are upgraded to a level beyond having the 1 day option
So 75% of the optional quests are either no use, or.. can be done, but for seriously less reward than the cost of doing them. a
I've actually built lvl 1 buildings to get the 24 hr production, but surely this is not right?

If Inno can know what level I am at, and deliver an event building accordingly, so that a mana sawmill in lower chapters is actually a Tier III producer, and can use the RR to upgrade event buildings to the right chapter.. then surely they can upgrade the standard quests to make them worth doing.

I have lost of 75% of them, and find the remainder too much trouble.
How can we get the optional quests to move with the chapter?

Deleted User - 341074

surely they can upgrade the standard quests to make them worth doing.....How can we get the optional quests to move with the chapter?
It's a somewhat) interesting bit of Elvenar history.
The cycling quests were never meant to be done repeatedly on the same day, but no mechanism was in place to prevent that, so players abused the crap out of it building a bunch of level 1 workshops and doing the "produce advanced tools 6x" quest actually awarded more supplies than you could get with a max level workshop (square for square)
The developers actually removed the repeating quests on the Beta server, but there was so much backlash from some vocal players who had come to rely on them completely made the devs reinstate them. In an attempt to wean players off of those repeating quests (presumably to eventually replace them with something interesting) the devs simply stopped the scaling after fairies.
Sadly, the next step -replacing those lame cycling quests- never came.

CheesePlant

Seeker
Personally I would be happy if the mobile experience was replicated on the PC so I can just press Next.. it's a pain pressing cancel and then the quest moves location on the left - it's just a bad experience on the PC.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
Oh yes, with a fellowship "adventure" going on, I'm clutching at every straw when it comes to less clicking.

I would be happy if the mobile experience was replicated on the PC so I can just press Next

This would help much, agree. And according to the insights @Paladestar has given us, it is the most straightforward approach i could think of.
when you decline a quest the client makes an API call to an "Abort Quest" method, the API then returns the next quest in your current generic quest sequence

When the "next" button was implemented into the app, it should have been brought to the browser version, too. Would have been better than apologizing and promising some usable UI at some point in the future, IMHO.

It is common to produce multiple badges of the same type at once. In that case, you have to tap up to 14 times (depending on FA type) on mobile just to be able cash in the ingredients for the next badge. I call this a terrible interface (and lack the words for the PC version). Compare this to @SoggyShorts idea that

they absolutely could have added a "previous" instead

Tap once, and you're there! 14 times better!

Another approach (and suggested on the forums, too) would be to stay on the same quest when cashing in the badge, and only advance to the next quest when the "next" button is hit. Zero clicks for navigating to the same quest again - which makes most sense to me.

Of course, there are ideas for a even better UI out there, but if we could get one of the easy fixes in the meantime, that would be nice.

Timneh

Artisan
It would also be nice if we were given a little info from the devs on how the new system was progressing. So far all we know is that they are aware that the current system is a problem for players and are working on a new system. That has been the situation since the FAs were introduced. Surely they must have some idea of what they are going to do by now.