• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

A game should be fun ... this has become just a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timneh

Artisan
@Master Arthur A lot of players have spent a lot of time and money building their cities and upgrading their AWs, now they are being punished for doing that, do you think they should be happy about that ? A lot of players used to be able to get high scores but now they can't, do you think they should be happy that their advancement through the game now means that they can't score as high as they did before the change ? Sure a lot of new and smaller cities can do much better in tournaments now than they could before and that is great for them but is it fair that the new players that have not worked hard on their city are getting things made easier while players that have supported this game since it began have been kicked in the teeth ? You and your FS might be finding things easier for now but remember that as you progress through the game tournaments are going to get harder and harder.

DeletedUser5306

It´s not easy playing for a win in every event and it does come at a cost. On the other hand I wouldn´t even call it cost as a bad thing. I find change a good thing, but I guess majority of elvenar players are rather opposed to change... Anyway if all you do is go for ranks, there is not going be a lot of change in membership. Even completely inactive towns can provide that. That doesn´t work for us of course... As you say, to each his own. The variety of FS out there is what guarantees that there is one FS for everybody. And we are the one for the hyperactive segment of elvenars population. And when people want to play less actively they retire to some lower activity FS, I can´t see anything bad with that. I might do the same some day and leave the space in the crazy place to someone more crazy to keep Swag going at top speed. But until then I enjoy the ride.

Our fellowship is the one with the same spirit than yours in Arendyll @Gargon667 :)
Top in tournaments,, Spire (first to achieve a perfect Spire - and usually completing it every time...) and we do quite good in FAs as well without pushing too much. We are just a tight bunch of overachievers who enjoy this game... We even have a player in common ;)

I just hope these tournament changes won't be our amusement deal-breaker....

Master Arthur

Alchemist
@Timneh. New players that have not worked hard on their city?? Really.
Whilst I agree that the tournament is harder for ALL players, with regard to the very high loss of troops, with the need to train these both for Spire and the tournaments. Maybe Inno will help be enabling troops to be trained from all 3 sources at the same time. But I am afraid that I can not offer much sympathy, after reading a quote in on of the threads, that with goodies that the "Top" players receive, enables that player to complete 10 chests on his own in 1 day. If it is that easy to play this game then I fully endorse this action by INNO and yes we as a fellowship will accept the challenge.

Hekata

Artisan
after reading a quote in on of the threads, that with goodies that the "Top" players receive, enables that player to complete 10 chests on his own in 1 day.
I really doubt there are players who can get 10 chests on their own (that's 40k points), and if such players exist there might be a couple of them per server so that's really not relevant and not worth changing the whole tournament system.
And "old player" is different than "top player" and also different than "top tournament player". I'm an "old" player because I've been playing this game for over 3 and a half years and yet I really can't be considered a top player or a tournament top player (in the old system my average was between 5-6k) However because I have been playing this game for so long I have accumulated aw levels, expansions and techs and that's all going to make producing enough troops harder and harder for me. So do you really think that because a few players can (maybe) get astronomical scores we should all get punished?
And if you read the thread on the tournament changes you'll see that all players agree that the previous format was giving too many rewards. The thing they are dissatisfied with is the way those changes have been made, by making almost all progress in your city work against you in tournaments. It's a completely absurd notion.

DeletedUser5306

Whilst I agree that the tournament is harder for ALL players, with regard to the very high loss of troops, with the need to train these both for Spire and the tournaments. Maybe Inno will help be enabling troops to be trained from all 3 sources at the same time. But I am afraid that I can not offer much sympathy, after reading a quote in on of the threads, that with goodies that the "Top" players receive, enables that player to complete 10 chests on his own in 1 day. If it is that easy to play this game then I fully endorse this action by INNO and yes we as a fellowship will accept the challenge.

First of all Top players do not “receive” they put a lot of efforts to get those goodies as you say, by completing spire each week (meaning investing a lot of time and resources there), having optimal city set up, their MA producing non-stop and even using diamonds to shuffle and get the right item to craft (pet food, troop building, time instants...), and for them planning the right moment to use their chicken & bears as well as planning their whole week to get those higher scores even in one day. I know what I am talking about I am one of those.

I can understand why Inno is wanting to nerf, “balance” or whatever they want to call it the tournaments, however the new format is maybe indeed harder for all but not equally harder for all. And it is all related to the formula, I have 492 AW lvls, believe me it is almost a struggle after province n20 and I am fully playing manually while before I could play the entire tournament on auto and finish with scores as high as 17-18k.

As I can see on your Elvenstats you have 2.5k average and your max is 4.7k which means you are not used to go deep in the tournaments further province 20, so unless you have another account with greater experience in tournaments you cannot really have a clear understanding here.

Timneh

Artisan

In comparison to players that have been playing for a couple of years or so of course newbies have not worked hard. It is not hard in any way to get to chapter 5 but the tournaments are still easy for those players.

after reading a quote in on of the threads, that with goodies that the "Top" players receive, enables that player to complete 10 chests on his own in 1 day.

Can you provide a link to the post you are talking about please as i don't recall ever seeing it.

Deleted User - 1759805

I'm fairly sure that no one has ever had a 40k tournament.
I believe the max that has ever been achieved (on any server) is 30K, IIRC several people did hit that mark (barely).

Killiak

Artisan
But I am afraid that I can not offer much sympathy, after reading a quote in on of the threads, that with goodies that the "Top" players receive, enables that player to complete 10 chests on his own in 1 day.

Goes to show you cannot always trust what you read, but also that proper research and actual knowledge should precede posting.
Could it be done? In short; yes. Sustainable? No. Would it take you a loooooong time and massive effort to get to this point; Oh god... yes.

Anyway, you can research scores here.

Also, the words you were looking for are "the top players worked hard for to earn"

Last edited:

Timneh

Artisan
There is quite a diference between 2 players getting 10 chests in 3 or 4 days and 1 player getting 10 chests on their own in 1 day.

Sir Derf

Adept
If a player and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs will half a dozen players lay in half a dozen days?

Killiak

Artisan
But then there is the page on DE1, while tournament still has almost 2 full days to run, where some players are at 19k each. Two players could certainly get 10 chests, together.

And moving goalposts in any discussion will never a decent argument form.

Also, the people who can make 20K in a tournament (technically I am one of them) have been in this game a long time and have put in the effort to be able to do so. They worked for their rewards, and their FS benefits from what they do as well.
These also tend to be the people who are now hit the hardest, and are punished something fierce for having progressed their city as far as they did.

This was, is, and remains the central point of the discussion on this subject.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I wonder if we should not give @Master Arthur some slack. You know how the human mind works. You think one thing and then you end up writing another thing.

While it is not possible for one person to get to 10 chests on his own, you need a team to accomplish this, and we all agree on that. What was said, and I know exactly who said it, is that it is possible for a player to finish his tournament in one day. It was an eye opener to me. Zero time difference between rounds. So if said player only completed 1 tent for 6 rounds and called it a day, or did however many to get his 14k average, he completed his tourney in one day. I can easily see how the mind confused a player completing a tournament in one day to that what a team needed to do to finish a tournament. Granted also top teams never stop at 40k, but many players in your average team do stop play when the team hit the 10 chest achievement.

Pauly7

Magus
I know exactly who said it, is that it is possible for a player to finish his tournament in one day. It was an eye opener to me. Zero time difference between rounds.
Yes, lots of people are now operating with zero cool down times, so of course it's possible for a fellowship to score whatever they're going to score within the first few hours of a tournament.

Gargon667

Mentor
Could it be done? In short; yes. Sustainable? No. Would it take you a loooooong time and massive effort to get to this point; Oh god... yes.

Just because this has been going on for so long, I will add the facts, because I disagree with both the above statements:

Did one town ever do 40k in a tourney? NO
Is 40k points by one town possible in the old tourneys? YES! He needs to have exactly 149 steel provinces (or whatever tourney you want to do that in). In the old tourneys the only limiting factor is the number of available provinces, nothing else. I seriously doubt anyone in this game has that many Steel provinces, which is why nobody has ever actually done 40k points. I will not do the math on if it in theory is possible that anyone has that many steel provinces, how many rings out from his city he would have had to go and how long the scouting times will be then...But I assume in theory someone who started playing the game when it came out and prepared from day 1 for doing a 40k tourney (that means years before tourneys were even invented) could have gotten there :)

Is it sustainable or even difficult? Of course sustainable and not at all difficult, if you have the 149 steel provinces. I could have easily done them all every week and if I had had that many provinces. However I had to scout steel provinces 5 rings further out than my other provinces only to reach 75 Steel provinces for 20k points.... doubling that would have taken me years worth of scouting.

20k by 2 towns is no problem at all. We had 3 towns with 20+k points last steel I think, one of them did 20k two weeks in a row. (he had 75 Marble and Steel provinces each)

Time does not matter at all. Once you have tourney cooldown time reduced to 0, it only matters how fast you can click. And you had to click a LOT. Once 4 of us got together at the start of the tourney (plus others doing their first round) just to see how fast we could do it. took us 1h 32min to reach 10 chests, 4 people with burning thumbs/index fingers is the only benefit of this exercise lol.

The stupidity of this insane clicking is the only reason why I did not do all my provinces 6 times every week, often I stopped at 50 provinces (13.5k points), just because the clicking was so insanely mindnumbing. I didn´t even need to time boost troops for that... and this is also the reason why the new tourneys (as bad as they are) are still much better than the old ones :) It is not annoyance with clicking that stops my tourney now, but actually a point where I find the resource input too high to continue. A much more sensible approach.

Errandil

Conjurer
this is also the reason why the new tourneys (as bad as they are) are still much better than the old ones :) It is not annoyance with clicking that stops my tourney now, but actually a point where I find the resource input too high to continue. A much more sensible approach.
While in theory yes, this is how the game should work, I disagree that the new system is better because now a big part of the city upgrades lead to reaching this point sooner, which isn't exactly what you expect from a city building game. In my opinion a good idea don't justify the bad implementation of this idea. And in this case it's a very bad implementation.

Gargon667

Mentor
While in theory yes, this is how the game should work, I disagree that the new system is better because now a big part of the city upgrades lead to reaching this point sooner, which isn't exactly what you expect from a city building game. In my opinion a good idea don't justify the bad implementation of this idea. And in this case it's a very bad implementation.

Fully agreed the implementation is horrible, but given the choice between to horrible systems I prefer the new one over the old one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.