• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered A couple of questions about Circular Messages

DeletedUser7653

I have recently been made Archmage of a Fellowship (Rise High on Arendyll; looking for new members. Look us up on the Fellowship List :D).

I would like to set up a rolling Circular Message. This message will contain important information that all members need to know. I have a couple of questions:

1. If a member replies to the message do all members get to see the reply or only the original sender?
2. Are new members automatically added to the message and get a copy when they join?
3. If the answer to the above is no, is there a mechanism to manually add them or is it a case of recreating the message and sending it to all members again?

I have played Forge of Empires before and the messaging system there lets the OP change the list of people the message is sent to, so new members can be added to an existing Circular Message.

Lelanya

Mentor
Hi Glynrandrel
Congrats on AM :)
A group message is visible to everyone unless they delete it. As new members are added the message will be available to all once you write on it again. But the folks who choose to delete it are the real problem. They will get a notice flash but nothing there when they check, so you will hear about that. Some will never admit to clearing up their inbox either. Elvenar will delete your mail after two or three months also. You will need to send it round for new people and reissue it periodically for the old ones. Oh departing players will not see it after a short time, those mails fade away and will absolutely be gone by next login.

DeletedUser7653

@Lelanya
Thanks very much for your reply.

The type messages I am thinking of using will be hopefully, constantly updated either by myself or other members of the Fellowship. So, the system removing them should not be a problem.

Is there a way to add back members who have deleted the message by 'mistake'?

Or will the message have to be regenerated?

DeletedUser3366

One problem with such circular messages is that players on an old server like this are very spread out in tech advancement an experience, Don't expect that what you find important is what everybody find important. That make the art of not writing just as valuable and needed as the art of writing. Also remember that your members does not know this either. You should expect long esoteric posts about problems that most members don't even know exist. Managing such a circular mailing list is a skill you must cultivate and learn well, in order to make people not unsubscribe and make the list worthless. Frankly i think forums are a better and more useful format than circular mails. With a forum people can go and read what they want. and even follow inks to it.

Another problem is language. Not everyone can read and write English, so you may need to find translators for other lanuages you have in your alliance. Google Translate is worthless; it has zero context awareness.

DeletedUser7653

Thank you all for the advice given.

I take the point about language and will see which of my "crew" have multiple language skills.

I am finding out that Elvenar is and is not like FoE but I think that some of the mechanics from FoE, especially with regard to Fellowships (Guilds in FoE) and messaging; particularly the group messages and copying Great Building (Ancient Wonders in Elvenar) and trades to messages are a great idea and should be implemented in Elvenar. Which is why I am trying to find workarounds for these mechanics.