• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

A better Chat window?

SkyRider99

Mentor
When several players are in chat at the same time it becomes confusing or problematic to post a reply to a particular individual.

Could we somehow click on the conversation member we want to reply to, and have our reply tagged with their playername?

A bigger chat window and a decent text editor would not go astray either. :)

Maybe others have other ideas? Perhaps it is impossible to improve the clunky chat engine, so we might as well shoot for the stars. :p

Jake65

Sage
Agreed. Having more than one topic going gets mighty confusing.

Anybody else wondered why new messages on PC appear at the bottom but on mobile they're at the top? Just to confuse things further :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
I just had a thought. Hope I didn't sprain my brain.

Would it be possible to adapt the forum messaging system to replace the main game chat engine?

The forum messages are all nicely grouped according to thread content. Plus it is easy to see who has contributed to a particular line of thought.

Jake65

Sage
If this forum system were to replace the message/mail system in game then maybe the chat wouldn't be needed.
Selecting a thread could open it on the right like the chat and allow you to keep it open without blocking the game view.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Good idea @Jake65. I think I would rather have the mail message system stay the same though. Granted that most of my mail messages are to FS members, I do occasionally send to, and receive from, other players.

I am envisioning something like a cut-down version of the forum messaging system. One that is open only to fellowship members.

It appears to be a pipe dream. With only the two of us discussing it, we could not be said to be gaining any widespread support or traction. Your thoughts are much appreciated. :)

There is an outside chance that someone like @Herodite could see some merit in what we are thinking and prod/nudge the devs with a new challenge. :p

Jake65

Sage
With only the two of us discussing it, we could not be said to be gaining any widespread support or traction.
Maybe change the title to "Chat closed for business" :D

Alcaro

Necromancer
So many suggestions were made over the time regarding the chat and absolutely none was taken into consideration.
I am grateful that they've improved the mail system and notifications.
While the chat is a poor version existing on the "market" for more than 15 years, its improving isn't that important - IMHO - than other things which should exist (even as a poor version) and they don't whatsoever. For example, as an AM I am baffled how a game can't give any tools to verify things (for example - who is in the Tourny or Spire) or stats. At this moment we rely on Elvenstats and other 3rd party programs, but again, is this normal??
Other things which should exist and they don't - pinned messages, selecting only the AM + Ms to send msgs, a status which should be visible when opening the chat (like > ONLY GREEN PATH!!!!! :D ) and these are only some that came into my mind right now.

SkyRider99

Mentor
its improving isn't that important - IMHO - than other things which should exist (even as a poor version) and they don't whatsoever.
True. No argument from me in that regard @Alcaro.

I have also watched various suggestions to improve the chat system as they come and go. There is a saying that 'the squeaky axle gets the grease'. Either Inno doesn't hear our squeaks, or there is no grease to be had. :)

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
@SkyRider99 I've passed it across for you! As @Alcaro said, there's a been a few asks for improvements in the past... but there's no harm in putting another forward! :)

Kind Regards

Herodite

Alcaro

Necromancer
It's kind of like reinventing Discord.
Why not just use Discord?
A lot of players do.
Because this would mean to have a separate tab or App open. And there aren't that many players using it. I tried and we were 6 from 25. I was there because I am the AM but actually I do not like to have to use a 3rd party program. Switching between tabs isn't something I want to do. I want a decent in-game chat which allows us to post links, emoticons, use italic, bold characters and so on.

BonnyGwen

Spellcaster
I don't think the game can handle a better chat function memory wise. As it is I've been getting black city screen in the app several times a day for the last week.
I haven't tried Discord as an app but I like it well enough in a browser - and it's no trouble having multiple screens open in a browser.
The groups that I've been in that use Discord prefer it to the game chat.