• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Barracks removal

Discobeard

Novice
Hi there. This maybe an unusual request but I would like the option to remove the barracks from my city. Whether it’s through teleporting or just deleting I don’t mind. I believe this would be fairly easy to implement on a technical level, but I confess to having zero programming knowledge.

A little context as to why I’m asking. I have a couple of cities who‘s purpose has changed since there creation. Initially, I planned on levelling them like normal but they now fill the role of support cities that I use purely for trading. Having a barracks sitting there that takes up population, culture and no small amount of space feels like an unnecessary restriction.

Thanks for your time :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
Having a barracks sitting there that takes up population, culture and no small amount of space feels like an unnecessary restriction.
As I understand it, the Barracks are an integral part of the game of Elvenar. Troops production is also needed for some quests and events. The interdependencies between pop, culture, and space (and supplies) is fundamental to the design and operation of players' cities.

A mildly interesting discussion point though.

Pauly7

Magus
It certainly would be useful for some people who change their minds about how they will play the game. I have a city with no barracks, but you have to know exactly what you want to do from the beginning and refuse to build it when the game asks you too.

As I understand it, the Barracks are an integral part of the game of Elvenar. Troops production is also needed for some quests and events. The interdependencies between pop, culture, and space (and supplies) is fundamental to the design and operation of players' cities.
It's not integral at all, if you are set up to have a goods only city. Occasionally an event quest will ask you to "fight and win 3 encounters" or some such. That in itself is still possible without a barracks because you will collect a small number of troops along the way anyway. In practice it's usually still not possible to win them by the nature of some catering only cities (i.e. not completing squad size upgrades), but nonetheless the quest usually (always?) has an alternative requirement.

SkyRider99

Mentor
It's not integral at all, if you are set up to have a goods only city.
You'd be right there Pauly7. So barracks would not then be an integral part of your city, and your chosen playing method.

Barracks are none-the-less an integral part of 'the game of Elvenar'. And of course one part that various players may choose to ignore or avoid. There's many interesting ways to play the game.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I'd personally recommend to keep barracks as there are a lot of cheap fights like very easy world provinces and early tournament provinces that can save a lot of goods and it only costs supplies. But I still respect everyone's style and choice to play the game whichever way they like.

Discobeard

Novice
I have a city with no barracks, but you have to know exactly what you want to do from the beginning and refuse to build it when the game asks you too.
Exactly. It’s possible to play the game without the barracks, but only if you have the experience and knowledge with how the game works. Experience and knowledge I have now but didn’t when the city was created. It’s also possible to complete events without using any troops. As mentioned above, there tends to be a traders option too. I have a full set of the Pilgrims Manor and some stage 10 buildings as evidence of this.

There doesn’t feel like there’s much consistency with what or how military buildings are classified in terms of their removal status. You can remove the training grounds and the mercenary camp but only via deletion. You can remove armouries via deletion or teleportation.

The other non removable buildings all make sense. The main hall is linked into so many different facets of the game. You need a builders hut to build and upgrade. You need a trader to acquire non boosted goods. You don’t ‘need’ a barracks for a trading city. Troops aren’t needed for research, tournaments, the spire, events or expanding your map. The only instance I can think of is one type of fellowship adventure badge. Also irrelevant in this case as my trading city doesn’t do FAs.

The last point I would make on this, how does giving players the option to remove the barracks, by whatever means, cause anyone a problem?

Pauly7

Magus
The only argument for the barracks being necessary is that you can still collect troops. If you don't have the barracks you can still collect them. It just doesn't tell you how many you have. (Plus, if we're getting immersive - where do all these guys live?) I can see my troop numbers, only when I'm about to start a fight and it tells me how many I have to choose from. Of course, if Inno feels it is so necessary then why is it not mandatory to build it in the first place?

I don't complete events in that city, because it also has no workshops... but that's a whole different topic.

Gargon667

Mentor
Just for those interested in playing without barracks, you can always build training grounds and merc camp to make troops, those buildings can be sold :)

Sir Derf

Adept
If the Barracks is truly an essential piece of Elvenar, but a player wants to, as much as possible, play without a Barracks, then providing for the removal of the Barracks would allow a player who finds they've hit a wall requiring the Barracks to place it, use it and then remove it, repeat as needed.