• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

World Map Player Movement Changes

DeletedUser6472

I think that they haven't finished with moving everyone yet, they did mention that it's a multistage process. I have many happy people in my both FSs right now and I haven't heard any negative comments from anyone yet, but it's early days. I guess, since I never had any active good neighbours, this process is not so upsetting for me, as for many other players; but actually the opposite is true, I have been asking for years to be moved to a better position on the map. I did map visits for coins only, when I needed them and I traded with my fellows only. Now I will be visiting my neighbours to reciprocate the favour.

Also, since we have so many active neighbours now, we really need those 3 tabs in notifications that people on beta forum are asking for: 1 - for FS member visits, 1 - for neighbour visits and 1- for trade notifications.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
For those of you asking if the moves are to continue, they are ongoing for the moment! You can appreciate there are quite a few :D So you will probably note a few more changes in the coming days. Once this has been completed, it will revert back to once a week (Mondays) which will mop up any active cities that may have been missed. However, given the recent changes, and your Maps being mostly Active, you shouldn't see any more significant movement :)

Remember to pop over to your New Neighbours to ask for a Cup of Sugar, or give their Main Hall a Polish... whichever feels appropriate!

P.s. @Hekata has cookies...

elvenbeast

Novice
Absolute Big Brother syndrome here, we should be able to choose if we want to move. All old contacts and friends are now gone replaced by people that haven't even got a trader built or are unused cities. How can that improve the game?
People we regularly traded with are now gone, bad idea Elvenar, you obviously have too many people playing and this is your way of culling long time players who have supported you for years and spent fortunes on diamonds. Free choice is now gone, are we living in a game "Police State" now?

Quynn

Novice
Absolute Big Brother syndrome here, we should be able to choose if we want to move. All old contacts and friends are now gone replaced by people that haven't even got a trader built or are unused cities. How can that improve the game?
People we regularly traded with are now gone, bad idea Elvenar, you obviously have too many people playing and this is your way of culling long time players who have supported you for years and spent fortunes on diamonds. Free choice is now gone, are we living in a game "Police State" now?
It's a bit of culling but the real reason is money, get everyone close together you don't use as much compute or storage.
I am off they can shove it

Hekata

Artisan
For those of you asking if the moves are to continue, they are ongoing for the moment! You can appreciate there are quite a few :D So you will probably note a few more changes in the coming days. Once this has been completed, it will revert back to once a week (Mondays) which will mop up any active cities that may have been missed. However, given the recent changes, and your Maps being mostly Active, you shouldn't see any more significant movement :)

Remember to pop over to your New Neighbours to ask for a Cup of Sugar, or give their Main Hall a Polish... whichever feels appropriate!

P.s. @Hekata has cookies...
*lots of new neighbours, backing like crazy, covered in flour form head to toe and almost out of chocolate chips!*

Alcaro

Necromancer
this movement is beyond my all expectations!
I stopped trading and using the Merchant(s) only to be able to count how many visits I get back. Well, there aren't 12h since I visited the whole new NH and I got over 60 returned visits beside my own fellows. Seems that even without the notifications from trades,10 pages x 6 messages aren't enough. We should have around 100 notifications, in my opinion.

Gargon667

Mentor
(1) Did so. over 2 years with the same trading cartel. I believe I moved twice before I turned the move button off.

(2) Says who and how do you know that? When no one is moving I assumed that they all had the do not move button selected, like I did.
(3) That feature is as old as the game.
Shifting rules strikes again :mad:

1. What does that prove??? You moved before then you ticked the button and then didn´t move? Yes that is how it works, however it has no effect on what happens to your neighbours. You moved before closer to the center each time, after the second move you were close enough to the center, so nobody moved anymore until they started the big cleanup removing inactive cities from the center, freeing up spaces and effectively shriking the center again (ticking or not ticking the box would not have made any difference).
When noone is moving it means you are close enough to the center, of course you are correct if absolutely everybody in your neighbourhood ticks the box to not move it would have the same effect even if you were not in the center, however that is a completely unrealistic assumption. It will never happen that everybody ticks the box. Most people don´t even know it exists! Most of the ones that do know won´t use it, because most people presumably would rather improve their location rather than freezing it with no chance for improvement, but high chance for deterioration.

2.Says I following simple logics, but of course pure speculation. Well that and the fact that exactly that happened, look at the forum threads. So now Inno finally started making a serious step towards improving the game for everybody people foolishly opt out, next day discovered that everybody else moved to a better place and left them alone in a desert and they start crying that they now want to move too! Double the work for Inno for absolutely no reason. The not-move-button is completely insane, it has 0 benefit while it can have serious negative consequences.

3. Old or new who cares? It´s a bad feature. Shifting rules? yes correct, but for the better. So I am happy about it.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
The not-move-button is completely insane, it has 0 benefit while it can have serious negative consequences.

I understand that this is your personal opinion so no need to push it on anyone. You've said your story before, other people can say their story without fear of being judged. There's no such a thing as preferred opinion, we all have a right to say ours without implying that it's insane or being pushed to change it. What is correct is completely relevant to each person situation, there's no such a thing as 100% right as the world constantly changes and none of us know everything.

Gargon667

Mentor
I understand that this is your personal opinion so no need to push it on anyone. You've said your story before, other people can say their story without fear of being judged. There's no such a thing as preferred opinion, we all have a right to say ours without implying that it's insane or being pushed to change it. What is correct is completely relevant to each person situation, there's no such a thing as 100% right as the world constantly changes and none of us know everything.
You are absolutely free to say whatever you want to say, so is everybody else and so am I. If I find something insane (like in this case a check-box) I will also say just that. You are of course free to disagree with me as much as you like.
If anyone wants to come up with a situation where it is advantageous to tick the not-move button I will be more than happy to discuss that, too.

However to maybe contribute a bit more to this discussion, maybe I actually can add an argument against the moves:
The fact that people simply are afraid of change. Make them move to a rationally better spot will still make them complain, because change is bad by default. This may be something Inno has not taken into account when they made their decision, but I see no simple solution to that problem. So maybe Inno did think about it, but hasn´t seen any solution either. They just go along, make the game a better game and accept the complaints. They will eventually stop, when people get used to their new normal.
Maybe a few people will get so upset that they quit? Quite likely, but then again I am thinking a lot more people have quit the game in the past for sitting in dead end parts of the map. So overall Inno will definitely gain more than they lose.

This concerns especially the fact that they removed the opt-out option. People lose the choice. No matter how crappy that choice is it is still a choice. For me I wouldn´t mind people being stuck in deserts because of the bad choices they made. But Inno simply doesn´t want to deal with the fall-out, which I can understand from a company viewpoint. More people would be upset for being stuck in deserts due to their own bad choices, than will be upset about being forced into a better area. So Inno disappears the choice... I would do the same. Elvenar is not a democracy after all ;)

Alcaro

Necromancer
Exactly, here only Inno wins nobody else that's why there's no need to have guns blazing.
we can't say that only Inno wins. Yes, Inno makes the rules but at the end of the day it's a win-win situation for those who decided to stay and play. There is not a single mandatory rule about the playing style, ofc, there is a path toward a direction Inno thinks we should go but if you decided to play your own style, nobody removes you from the game.

Now, on-topic .. let's see what else Inno decides for us :D I loved this forced move, I have now a fantastic NH, only that 10 pages of notifications are by far NOT ENOUGH!

OldHag

Necromancer
I'm neither happy nor sad about where the move has landed me - it is what it is.

I've had more nh visits with new neighbours being moved in...and that's nice - but it would have been even nicer to see a few more higher level players moved into my hood - purely for trading purposes.

Last edited:

Pauly7

Magus
I have 3 worlds, 3 moves, and the situation is much better for me now in all three. This seems like such a bizarre discussion as I am sure that the same applies for 99.9% of players.

However, perhaps that other 0.1% exists. People that were in an area with a handful of amazing traders and friends that all supported each other's games and they have been moved somewhere which should be more affluent, but is missing those specific individuals. If anyone is in that 0.1% then the frustration isn't lessened by the fact that they are in a small minority.

However, however, if you are in that small group, remember that it is a small group. It seems larger because a big proportion of them will now be voicing their discontent, which amounts to hundreds of people. Inno's decision to move active players towards each other is a demonstrably very good decision. The only possible issue here is that people have had their choice taken away, but as @Gargon667 said, there would be a much bigger group of people shouting about having been left alone in the wasteland and having those friends and traders moved away from them.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I suppose there always be players at the edge of the map that won't have the same benefit as the players in the middle of the map. I hope that Inno keeps the spots at the edge of the map for new players rather than big players that need much bigger trades.

DeletedUser6472

I've had a couple of people complaining about being moved, but by today they are very happy with their new positions. It's a human nature not to accept the change, but when the time passes the evident positives are undeniable. I believe that with this algorithm working properly now, we shouldn't need an option to opt out of being moved, the same as the fact that we don't have much of say on anything in this game. We might influence some decisions, but otherwise we are here just for a ride. In this circumstance, it's a good and beneficial ride for us all. Also, the process isn't over, so I'm sure that by the end of this, everyone will be placed in a good active area.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
(1) Did so. over 2 years with the same trading cartel. I believe I moved twice before I turned the move button off.

(2) Says who and how do you know that? When no one is moving I assumed that they all had the do not move button selected, like I did.
(3)
That feature is as old as the game.
Shifting rules strikes again :mad:
Thats a pretty bad assumption, just because people did not move doesnt mean they opted out like you did.
It just means there was not a better location aviable.
As inactive people were not removed properly, the required space for them to move was never there.

and no that feature is not as old as the game,
In fact moving did not exist for the first 2 years of the game, en the mover was introduced without that button.
The "I like to shoot myself in the head" button was added as a request from the players.

And over the years plenty of people have shot themselves in the head, every so often on the forums we have seen post from people complaining they lost all there neigbours which is a direct result of that button. it's just that this time it's nof 2-3-4 complains who are laughed at for there "stupidity" but a lot lot lot lot lot more.

So your assertions are quite wrong.

I didn't have any empty provinces around me where I was and now I have loads, yes neighbourly help is better and trades are about the same but why bother completing provinces to gain a gold mine.