• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Name the FA waypoints

DeletedUser5093

For organisational purposes it would be useful if all the waypoints in the adventure were labelled with some sort of logical name, so it's easier to refer to specific waypoints. The current method is to either use a very wordy description of each waypoint e.g. "the first multicoloured waypoint on the orange path" or to create a fellowship-specific naming convention, and teach it to all our fellows, which just comes up against all the well documented existing communication issues in the game. It would be far easier if something official already existed.

Some possibilities include:
- 1st Blue Camp, 2nd Blue Camp, etc. (while still a little wordy, it's intuitive to abbreviate these to Blue1, Blue2, etc, and everyone will still know what you mean.)
- South-East Crossroads, North-Central Crossroads, North-West Crossroads, etc. (again, intuitive to abbreviate to SE crossroads, etc.)
- (Waypoint 0?), Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2, ... Waypoint 24, (Waypoint 25?). (not as intuitive what path it refers to, but easier to abbreviate (#0, #1, #2, ... #25), and easier to translate)
- Start, Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2, ... Waypoint A, Waypoint B, ... Waypoint I, Waypoint II, Waypoint V, etc (path specific, logical order, and easy to abbreviate: #S, #1, #2, ... #A, #B, ... #I, #II, #V, etc)
- 1 River Road, 2 River Road, ... 1 Mountain Way, 2 Mountain Way, ... 1 Valley Trail, 2 Valley Trail, etc (slightly more poetic names, still logical and intuitive what path/location it is, easy to abbreviate: 1RR, 2RR, ... 1MW, 2MW, ... 1VT, 2VT, etc)

Things that should be avoided:
- Treant Swamp, Dwarf Mountain, Fairy Road, and other more poetic names (no logical or intuitive order or location, difficult to abbreviate)

I have no particular preference for what system is used, so long as it's intuitive, and reasonably easy to abbreviate if the name is long(ish).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8921

I like this idea. I heard people talking about Blue 2, and I wasn't sure if it was the second blue dot or the second point on the blue path or what. If each waypoint is labeled as something when you open it at least, then it will be easier to communicate what you are working on. And making the names based on map location would be even better.