• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Just the usual annoyances.

DeletedUser1685

1. Not being able to move buildings makes Elvenar very very boring. It means we have limited creativity and our cities stay the same for weeks at a time, not only that but the designs all cluster into one most efficient design. Innogames knows this, their entire design philosophy was to make us all design the most efficient city for the human or elf variant of cities. It makes cities boring to look at though, and there is no possibility of flexibility, it's just too much work. Plus it means Innogames cannot ask for players to make creative city designs for contests and all that fun stuff one might expect from a game.

2. There is a treasure in this city. The only reason I click on that treasure is to get rid of the annoying popup. It's not a treasure. We know that and Innogames knows that, because in quests Innogames asks us to donate a small amount of resources, and the small amount we have to donate is twice what Innogames claims is a treasure in a city.

3. Relics, I don't really use them, apart from needing to make spells for various quests. If I do the quests.

4. Events that require me to be in game for extended periods of time. I have given up on them, because I don't have extended periods of time to play in a day. So if a quest asks me to do 100 Beverages, and I have 10 Workshops that can take me 3 days to complete, because I don't have hours in a day spare for a game. Those delays mean not being able to complete events.

5. Compulsory quests that stop me progressing because I don't do them from one Age to the next Age, so I have to ask Customer Support to delete the compulsory quests from the previous Age. I don't think any quests should be compulsory, make them all cycle through an Age, then once a new Age starts make new ones cycle through, rather than have to bother Customer Support.

That's it.

I've said all this before but I had time again today to reiterate the main little things.

DeletedUser1685

6. If you help someone, by adding Knowledge Points to their Wonder, when they finish collecting their KP for their Wonder is unknown, it's not something you can plan for. So if your KP bar is full because you have been out of the game for 10 hours or more, then you don't get the KP part of any reward that you are owed for helping the other player complete the KP bar for their Wonder. So perhaps make rewards from helping with Ancient Wonders work the same as the reward KPs for completing provinces etc.

DeletedUser441

In reply . You can have a unique city and move buildings , it just takes some extra space , get scouting.
In Adventures we get asked for a lot more than double the rewards in map chests. Relics are used to upgrade AWs as well as making spells.100 beverages takes 50 minutes with 10 workshops. If you can't complete compulsory quests then you are simply not playing the game very well. If you are given a reward for helping another player's AW you do get the reward. But if your kp bar fills up the timer stops and you don't get any more. I suggest you log in more often and make sure your kp bar is empty before you log off. Finally ; if you find the game boring , why play it ? :rolleyes:

DeletedUser1685

You make an excellent point. Thanks for your help. I shall stop playing.

DeletedUser2920

1. Not being able to move buildings makes Elvenar very very boring. It means we have limited creativity and our cities stay the same for weeks at a time, not only that but the designs all cluster into one most efficient design. Innogames knows this, their entire design philosophy was to make us all design the most efficient city for the human or elf variant of cities. It makes cities boring to look at though, and there is no possibility of flexibility, it's just too much work. Plus it means Innogames cannot ask for players to make creative city designs for contests and all that fun stuff one might expect from a game.

2. There is a treasure in this city. The only reason I click on that treasure is to get rid of the annoying popup. It's not a treasure. We know that and Innogames knows that, because in quests Innogames asks us to donate a small amount of resources, and the small amount we have to donate is twice what Innogames claims is a treasure in a city.

3. Relics, I don't really use them, apart from needing to make spells for various quests. If I do the quests.

4. Events that require me to be in game for extended periods of time. I have given up on them, because I don't have extended periods of time to play in a day. So if a quest asks me to do 100 Beverages, and I have 10 Workshops that can take me 3 days to complete, because I don't have hours in a day spare for a game. Those delays mean not being able to complete events.

5. Compulsory quests that stop me progressing because I don't do them from one Age to the next Age, so I have to ask Customer Support to delete the compulsory quests from the previous Age. I don't think any quests should be compulsory, make them all cycle through an Age, then once a new Age starts make new ones cycle through, rather than have to bother Customer Support.

That's it.

I've said all this before but I had time again today to reiterate the main little things.

The reality is that there are things you can do to move forward in this game. I played Forge of Empires and that was boring, you had nothing to do for six months until the next age came out and then you'd do that in a week or two and then back to the normal not doing anything. They've managed to solve the problem of people going to fast by having Settlement stuff.

If you don't like the quests, don't do them. I haven't done the last two small ones.

The only thing that annoys me is when I put KP into wonders, then the KP comes and I lose KP because I'm sleeping.

DeletedUser1685

I hate to say it, but this does not sound like the game for you.

Everything is a game for me. Even forums are a game, if you think a certain way. For example in a game that has rankings then it's beneficial for players to persuade other players to quit. Because then there is less competition for rankings. The game actually rewards players for getting rid of other players, with the forums being one tool to help do that.

Or more broadly forums can be seen as two teams in another meta game. One group of players who has something, post about not letting other players have it, while the other group, who doesn't have that something, wants it. Usually that meta is played around the topic of nerfs and buffs.

Meanwhile Innogames plays a game about raising their score as best they can, although they use money as their point system.

Nearly every interaction can be seen as a game.

DeletedUser

For example in a game that has rankings then it's beneficial for players to persuade other players to quit. Because then there is less competition for rankings. The game actually rewards players for getting rid of other players, with the forums being one tool to help do that.

That only works if every single player sees every other player as a rival or competitor, which is not the case here. If it were, what would be the point of Fellowships, since every member of your Fellowship would be your competitor, and why be in a Fellowship with your competitors?

And if every single player were attempting to get every other player to quit, that's InnoGames losing money when they succeed. Sounds like a pretty stupid business model to me.

Or more broadly forums can be seen as two teams in another meta game. One group of players who has something, post about not letting other players have it, while the other group, who doesn't have that something, wants it. Usually that meta is played around the topic of nerfs and buffs.

Perhaps, but again, this doesn't really apply to Elvenar, because everyone can get the same "nerfs and buffs".

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1685

That only works if every single player sees every other player as a rival or competitor, which is not the case here. If it were, what would be the point of Fellowships, since every member of your Fellowship would be your competitor, and why be in a Fellowship with your competitors?

And if every single player were attempting to get every other player to quit, that's InnoGames losing money when they succeed. Sounds like a pretty stupid business model to me.

Perhaps, but again, this doesn't really apply to Elvenar, because everyone can get the same "nerfs and buffs".

As soon as a ranking system exists, only the top spot matters, all other spots under that are merely progress reports towards the top spot. We all know who Usain Bolt is, but do we remember who comes second to him? I don't.

So, as soon as you get a rankings system, every other player is a competitor. Sure Elvenar allows a small band of your fellow competitors to help you out more easily, but that's like that reality game show Survivor where two teams compete, but only one person wins. Being in a fellowship makes it easier to compete against others.

You do see competition in Elvenar. Earlier players wanting more content. Newer players not wanting new content because they have too much to do already. The conflict here is that older players want to keep progressing. Newer players don't want older players getting even further in front.

It's a game, conflict is part of them. Even if it is only balancing out conflicting goals. Cater or Fight, or a mixture of both. So that changes how people think about designing their cities. Then Elvenar does something like nerf a Wonder that helps with Cater, so customers complain, and so they should. Yet other players will discount those complaints, mainly because it didn't effect them, and by hampering other players, the nerf actually helps them.

So there's an example of how nerfs and buffs work in relation to player feedback, even for Elvenar.

DeletedUser219

@SanSweedy You seem to have slightly missed the point of @Golddust Odin 's post. You say that you are in competition with every other player, but, even if you are in Arendyll, you are not in competition with me, because I am not competing with you. I do not really care how well you (or others) are doing in the game, as long as I am doing the best that I can (which is not a lot, these days). The competition only exists if one of us is desperately trying to get ahead of the other, while the other is desperately trying to stay ahead. It is perfectly possible to continue to enjoy the game without worrying about what others are doing, as long as you are able to complete personal goals in the game framework.

In addition, competition involves proving yourself against another player. If that other player quits, it is a hollow victory. Usain Bolt would not take much pleasure from medals won because no-one would run against him.

With your allusion to Survivor, you have touched one of my triggers, because I have Wilderness Survival training. In a true survival situation, NONE of the participants in that show would live past the first week.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@SanSweedy

That may be how Elvenar appears to you; it's not how Elvenar appears to me. You said, "You do see competition in Elvenar", and I had to laugh at that, since you have absolutely no idea what I see in Elvenar. If I were interested in playing a game competitively, it wouldn't be this game. And what, exactly, is anyone competing for here, really? A large number of people have gathered in virtual space to throw a collection of pixels together and call them cities. What could one possibly win in a game where there is no actual prize awarded at 'the end'? Bragging rights, I suppose, since it's not going to gain anyone a mate, or access to higher-quality food or shelter, or a better paying job and whatever goes with that, and nobody's life or death fate is decided by how they finish in this game (at least I would hope not). It can not actually be claimed that having the #1 spot makes you "the winner", because there are 21 National servers, and Beta makes 22, then you have to take into account that several of those servers have more than one 'world', so that's a #1 spot in each of those. Quite a few "winners" there, so there is no decisive result in the competition.

I suppose someone could sit down and, after tallying up a list of all of those players and comparing all of those cities, perhaps a definitive "winner" could be declared. But what would be the criteria? The most attractive city? The most efficient? The oldest? The one that's had the most RL cash invested in it? A combination of those attributes? And once all of those cities have been weeded through, at last, one player is declared "the winner". What did they actually win? Surely, there must be an enormous sense of pride, because, look at this city they've made that's been judged "the best", out of the scores of other cities in Elvenar. But it's unlikely they're going to be made CEO of the company they work for because of it. What is it Tony Stark tells Loki in The Avengers? "There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top."

One gets out of the game what they put into it. I come to throw pixels together and call it a city. I don't assume to know what you came to do, but I do know we're not competitors...you don't have anything I want. ;)

Killiak

Artisan
You know that guy who revs his engine at the traffic lights, then pulling up faster than everybody else, 'beating' everybody?
I suppose that guys tells himself he was the best and feels good about it. Everybody else... just goes on their merry way.

It's only a competition if people want to compete with you. But at least you'll feel good about yourself! Have fun.

DeletedUser5890

@Brienne .... sorry to post here but don't know how to message you directly. I see early February on a thread that has been closed you had a "critical error: failed to load application". I am having the same issue for two days and despite clearing cookies and caches, switching off router, checking I have latest version of flash and also trying 3 different browsers, chrome firefox and internet explorer I am still unable to load Elvenar on my PC. Feeling very frustrated and was wondering if/how you were able to resolve your issue ?

DeletedUser3097

@Brienne .... sorry to post here but don't know how to message you directly. I see early February on a thread that has been closed you had a "critical error: failed to load application". I am having the same issue for two days and despite clearing cookies and caches, switching off router, checking I have latest version of flash and also trying 3 different browsers, chrome firefox and internet explorer I am still unable to load Elvenar on my PC. Feeling very frustrated and was wondering if/how you were able to resolve your issue ?
Please contact Support for assistance.

DeletedUser441

Today is the first time I've been able to log in since my problems began. I haven't changed anything , so I'm really confused :confused: , but glad to be back.:)

DeletedUser3097

Today is the first time I've been able to log in since my problems began. I haven't changed anything , so I'm really confused :confused: , but glad to be back.:)
Welcome back, Brienne, the forum wasn't the same without you! :D

DeletedUser441

Welcome back, Brienne, the forum wasn't the same without you! :D
Thanks Diizzy Lizzie :). It's been very frustrating and confusing not being able to get in to the game.o_O:confused: All those lost kps :(. Hope it doesn't happen again !