• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Failing Fellowship.

Larryary

Seeker
I was AM. We were 5th to 9th in ranking. We were the first ever to string 9 bonus chests 9 times in a row. We were the best fs tourno side for quite a while.
Perks came and one mage did not like the consensus of a vote. He and other trouble makers had been chipping away at me and my predecessor for some time. I kicked 2 of them out. Other trouble makers joined them voluntarily. 2 of my best mages quit, tired of trouble. To save the fs, I left and the baddies rejoined.
They did not want a leader. So they rotated the AM job on a monthly basis. None of them wanted to be a AM permanent because they did not want to be 'ruled ' .
THEY previously liked just pulling strings from behind. Their bickering continued and they are now down to 5 players, 2 name changes. I soon think they will disappear.
I am very sad about it all. They thought recruiting was easy and it takes time to build a fs. It is now totally destroyed.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
All fellowships I have seen with awesome results usually also collaps eventually.
Quite often they are strictly "ruled" with high pressure. creating an evoirment of disaster.

I prefer tyhe long approach. create and evoirment of self gouverning, be a gatekeeper steer toward a goal without pressuring that goal. it takes longer to reach success. but my fellowship exists now for over 6 years. and we are getting slowly towards 18-19 chests.

I never panicked because 2 other fellowships did better. because those AM wear out eventually, now they are joining us to find the fun back in the game.
I do not want to "rule" because that would ruin my fun. I am only there to steer, to envourage, not demand and only there take action if it's needed. for the rest I am just another random dude of that fellowship.

alsael

Enchanter
You must always remember;this is a game,not a job or a chore.Game=fun.We do it in our spare time,to relax.
If you push people to play more,to score more,they will eventually react.And not in a good way.You warn the whinners,and if they keep doing it,kick them.
Also,do not fear to take some promising newbies that are eager and like the game.Yes,they will not give you much at first,but they are an investment.Do not look only the now,but the future of your fs.You can't grow a forest with only old trees,you need young ones also:)

Larryary

Seeker
Thank you. IT might not be real life to some but I lived and breathed it. I had a lot of trouble settling for another fellowship. MAINLY getting rid of my AM cloak which I've had for most of the time in 4 years. I WAS AM when I started, a bit immature, but I gathered a good bunch. Recruiting as always near impossible, so I amalgamated to a higher fs and gave up my AM job. After a while I took my bunch even higher as they were all good players.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
I sense your pain in what you write. I don’t know which world you are referring to, not that it really matters. This game also has a social component which we sometimes forget about. From my almost 5 years of play now I have seen a few prominent teams disbanded or that have faded away due to whatever reasons. Normally one is not interested in what is happening outside your own fellowship, but my wider interest was triggered as a result of receiving invites. I feel sad when some of my gaming family spats in all directions. One can even feel sad for what has once been a proud fellowship, but they ain’t no more. As some go down, others will rise, Social dynamics.

SkyRider99

Mentor
One can even feel sad for what has once been a proud fellowship, but they ain’t no more. As some go down, others will rise, Social dynamics.
That is possibly the hardest job for the AM. Keeping the pride and the friendly competition afloat.

Herding cats is also up there with the list of thankless tasks. :)

Let's not leave the continual recruiting activities off the list also. :p

There is no try. Only do.
Yoda

Larryary

Seeker
I was not pushing...in fact when we got that run of 19 chests I asked them to settle but they wanted more more. I think if you can lift or replace the poor performers or behaviour you automatically can achieve much higher chest counts AND you just have to find those players. By some comments it seems that because it is a game mountains don't have to be climbed, and further I think if you are in the top 10, that is what you do.

YES I did recruit juniors...on one occasion a 200000 ranker , on good interview. I was told we should not recruit babies, girls or Aussies.

Grudge..maybe .. if you spend 2 years building a fs (with help) and it gets blown up in 3 weeks when you leave, sure.

Alcaro

Necromancer
A coin always has to sides and since I have no idea what actually happened in that FS, maybe the other "side" have other opinion ... I will refrain to stay on a side or another but indeed, it's very sad when such a FS gets almost disbanded (I know what FS is in discussion) and on the brink of disappearance. :(

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I was told we should not recruit babies, girls or Aussies.
A paradox. Sounds like you've already broken the baby rule by having those whiners in your fellowship. Also, how old are we--no girls? lulz. I will agree on the Aussies barrier to entry though. Keep your shrimps and your barbies! J/K. I love the Aussies in my group.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Thank you. IT might not be real life to some but I lived and breathed it. I had a lot of trouble settling for another fellowship. MAINLY getting rid of my AM cloak which I've had for most of the time in 4 years. I WAS AM when I started, a bit immature, but I gathered a good bunch. Recruiting as always near impossible, so I amalgamated to a higher fs and gave up my AM job. After a while I took my bunch even higher as they were all good players.

I'd be proud that you hold them together for such a long time, it must've been quite a task.

I was told we should not recruit babies, girls or Aussies.

No wonder they fell apart. :D
Mean people always get what they deserve, eventually.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
It's 'prawns' BTW :p
I was told by an Aussie in my group that I deserved that prawns clarification. She also said as an Aussie and a girl, is that a double negative, and thereby a positive?
Mean people always get what they deserve, eventually.
I know, right? Imagine thinking you're so high and mighty, but yet somehow half of the world's population threatens you that you need a rule to keep them out.