• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

How can we make the forum more attractive?

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
To get this bit out of the way first, because I don´t see the point what that has to do with the discussion at all:

The point is that whatever conclusion forums come to doesn't necessarily represent the view of majority of players. To be honest I don't think it represents any major group, people usually choose to get involved in forums for different reasons than their playing style. That's why there's no need to aim to win the argument and it's completely fine to agree to disagree. There's no need to push opinions on others or try hard to prove others wrong. It's all about sharing different opinions, views and strategies so others can pick and choose what they like out of it. The more opinions the better, we all have different playing styles so the more players post the more likely we'll find what is useful to us.

OldHag

Necromancer
Some very good points made @Gargon667

I've personally not witnessed any abusive posts towards players - That's not to say others haven't - I do feel however, that any type of forum can be quite intimidating when you are a new member......I would say 'don't be shy, post what feels right to you' if you feel someones' response is abusive, report them or you could try using humour. :)

Humour is what these forums lack, imo.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I would say 'don't be shy, post what feels right to you' if you feel someones' response is abusive, report them or you could try using humour.

That would be great if it worked. Reporting/blocking function has been around for a long time and still here we are. My theory is that the attack had already happened so reporting it won't erase it from the memory. Also there's probably no point in reporting most of the forum members as every forum develops certain culture and pack mentality. For things to change there needs to be a change.

I do feel however, that any type of forum can be quite intimidating when you are a new member

That might be the problem, maybe new members should feel wanted not intimidated. But I suppose that depends on how much the power group actually want that member.

Don't get me wrong, I think that this forum has improved quite a bit over the years but there's still a need for more members so things need to improve even more.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Apparently the answer is to send an announcement through the horn in game to a restricted post that requires login :rolleyes:

Ginger G

Novice
Hello all! My first post here :)

I guess I didn't have a reason to post before because I have always find an answer thanks to you all. I've been here for a year or so without comment. In stelth mode I guess :)
Lots of people have a problem with login to this forum, so this also may be the reason amongst others.

About rude people... which forum doesn't have a few of those lol
I was attacked before (not here, since this is first post) but I say: bring it on!
As long as majority is decent, forum is good.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Welcome to the forum Ginger G. There are many good forum members here. The Elvenar forum Moderators also help keep things civilised :)

*WAVES* :D

Gargon667

Mentor
Hello all! My first post here :)

I guess I didn't have a reason to post before because I have always find an answer thanks to you all. I've been here for a year or so without comment. In stelth mode I guess :)
Lots of people have a problem with login to this forum, so this also may be the reason amongst others.

About rude people... which forum doesn't have a few of those lol
I was attacked before (not here, since this is first post) but I say: bring it on!
As long as majority is decent, forum is good.

Are you stalking me around here, too now???

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
The Elvenar forum Moderators also help keep things civilised

To me, the moderators do play a very important role in the forums. And it's a delicate one. Too little moderation will encourage personal attacks between players which in turn makes the threads unpleasant to read and information hard to find. On the other hand, if the mods are too heavy handed, they might annoy people who find their posts edited or even deleted. Those people then might reduce their activity or even turn their back to the forum. Either way, the forum loses attractivity.

The line is thin and I think it's an enormous challenge for all Moderators.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
What about creating Journals section in the Forum. New players can share their progress through the game and experienced players can share their progress through new chapters. It could be a great place for members to share and read ups and downs playing the game, strategies that they're using or trying or even unload some of the frustrations and how they went about solving it and getting through it. I've seen it in other forums and it was very interesting reading, they were a bit more active though. Anyways, just an idea.