• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion Safety First

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss Safety First.

We look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards

Your Elvenar Team

DopeyDoc

Dreamer
Please use this thread to discuss Safety First
Thanks @Silmaril for raising this - I recently reported a player who admitted to being under-age, both for their protection and for mine.
Although I appreciated you dealing with the matter, it would help to know when things are concluded. Until this week, the player concerned was still a member of our fellowship, and I eventually took the decision to expel them myself.
In future, can support notify the originator in these circumstances and advise them what action to take?

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
EH???
Under 16 year old people can shoot the heads off dozens of "enemy soldiers" every day but they are not allowed to pet some owls and unicorns???
Kids having shooter games where they literally destroy someone´s head with a shotgun, kids playing games where feminine characters are totally sexualized, kids with games of zombies crudely devouring a guy or kid, etc... And Elvenar, a very nice, and familiar game should not allow under 16 year old kids?

BlueBlou

Illusionist
If the 16 years are to be enforced, then the notice of that should start right at the beginning when players decide on getting a game or not. In the app store the game is indicated as suitable for 4+ years old players.

I also fail to see why 16 years and would like to know what are the reasons to this decision.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
If the 16 years are to be enforced, then the notice of that should start right at the beginning when players decide on getting a game or not. In the app store the game is indicated as suitable for 4+ years old players.

I also fail to see why 16 years and would like to know what are the reasons to this decision.
Lol epic fail!

Gargon667

Mentor
Somebody has to protect the adults! :p
from children? In that case i fully agree! We certainly do need protection... I heard something about ageism the other day...
But then what age is being counted? The age of the body or the one of the brain? If the latter you better instantly kick me out, too! I sure am not mature enough to be counted as 16 :p

DopeyDoc

Dreamer
Under 16 year old people can shoot the heads off dozens of "enemy soldiers" every day but they are not allowed to pet some owls and unicorns???
And Elvenar, a very nice, and familiar game should not allow under 16 year old kids?
@Gargon667 et al, I doubt it has anything to do with the gameplay - there are predators out there ...

Last year, playing a 'very nice' and well-known online word game, I was challenged to a match by another player. I accepted the challenge, and although I had never had any contact with this person previously, part way through the game, he DM'ed me to ask if we could share contact details and go on Google Hangouts or WhatsApp to exchange pictures. Fortunately, I'm old enough and ugly enough to tell him to get lost and I reported him to the game moderators.
What if I'd been an impressionable 12-year-old who thinks it's cool to hang out with adults?

Since Elvenar has an in-game messaging system which isn't moderated, the risk is always there. When faced with a player who declared themself openly in our FS chat to be materially younger than 16, I'm leaving them and the other members of the FS at risk if I took no action and something inappropriate happened.

Last edited:

DopeyDoc

Dreamer
I agree. I wasn't aware that there was a lower age limit until one of our mages questioned it. It took some finding, and as @Silmaril says in the announcement, it's in Inno's General Terms and Conditions, not in the game rules ...

As for the App Store, Inno need to revisit that imho :)

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Don't quote me on this guys but it's my understanding that the age limit is due to Youth Protection Laws and GDPR. I would certainly describe Elvenars gameplay as "Family Friendly" however given we have the additional option of in game chat, I believe there has to be a level of responsibility on the companies part to ensure the safety of Children within this kind of online environment.

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Gargon667

Mentor
Seriously are you saying that no below 16 year old can play any online games whatsoever? What world do you live in? Of course it is because Inno doesn´t want to be held responsible for anything, but all it does is push people to either simply lying about their age or to some other place that most likely is less benign (doesn´t get more benign than elvenar now, does it?), it´s not going to be stopping anyone below 16 from playing online games. So if anyone actually wanted to protect kids, they´d better let them play elvenar, the most harmless thing they can possibly do (not that I think it is an especially attractive game for kids anyway, it is far too slow for them). But kicking them out?
Come on Teenagers nowadays live in their facebook groups and chat rooms and if anyone needs to be protected it is the older than 16 year olds that have no clue of half the things teenagers can do on their phones.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Hey guys!

When you sign up to play Elvenar, you agree to the published Terms and Conditions by clicking a box after you have read them. Within these (we put the link on the Announcement) it states, amongst other things that you need to be over 16.

This is indeed as our lovely Herodite has confirmed, all about Data and how it is handled. This is done very differently for under 16's, who need at the very least the agreement of a Parent or Guardian to act to also protect them until over this age. Data under this age is far more protected than for over 16's. This all comes under the GDPR act of 2018, which is all about how personal data is collected, used and stored, hence we all get the promts online about cookie policies etc: since this time

Regarding app stores, they do not recognise companies age ratings, instead they apply their own PEGI ratings . These are very different, however a player cannot get onto the game without agreeing to our Terms and Conditions, which is the legal basis of the contract to play the game.

Silmaril

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
@Silmaril what data IS Inno collecting that would fall into the scope for GDPR without qualifying automatically for the exemption for functional requirements to provide the service?

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
@Wibbly Woo Personal Data that falls under the GDPR Category includes User Name, Device ID, and E Mail. If you've ever contacted Support, you will know that sometimes we require this personal information to deal with any issues you may encounter.

Whilst there are exemptions to GDPR, we do not fall under these categories.

Kind Regards

Herodite.

DeletedUser5181

Well, we did have a creepy perv in one FS that was there to "pick up chick's". Very uncomfortable for most of us, and the female players usually stopped talking when he showed up.

TheBonker

Adventurer
Well, we did have a creepy perv in one FS that was there to "pick up chick's". Very uncomfortable for most of us, and the female players usually stopped talking when he showed up.
In a fruit bowl when you find a Sour Grape or a Cracked Nut they can be thrown away, The red exclamation(!) mark on the profile in Elvenar that lets you mute/block works just as well and the player is quickly forgotten about(verified). Worth remembering next time Shae-leigh if ever another one rolls into view :)