• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Spire of Eternity: How it works and why it's good.

Gargon667

Mentor
Ignore the sheet and ignore the pentagon.
If you do autocombat follow gargons advise.

If you do manual, then use experience, try and learn what works and what doesn't.
Also in which chapter are you? are you writing under a pseudonym? I only see a chapter 2 account under your name and those do not have a spire.

the combat pentagon works best if you are in the very early game and play on manual. this is because special abilities on units are not yet unlocked.
and often the same with attack boosting buildings which you do not yet have or developed. in an early game the with sub par units a 2 wave fight might be very impossible due to the lack of power.

In general it's a game of striking first, the one who deals the first blow wins. this becomes especially prominent when units unlock there special abilities. at that point the ranged unit with the correct ability might outperform "the best unit" just by the fact the can decimate that unit on the initial strike.

The game also alows some units attack to be improved, the stronger the improvement the stronger ranged units become.

My prime example is how I often use blossom mages/priests vs light melee. according to the combat pentagon thats the dumbest move ever.
But because these units have a special power that destroy defence and have a range of 5 they can strike first AND stay out of harms way.
The first hit does limited damage but the next unit does a massive amount of damage because you just destroyed his defence.

So my favorite units agains thieves are 5 range mage units.
This is something you can only learn by ignoring the combat triangle, look at each units strategic strength and weakness and then experiment to test you theories.
For this reason it's a shame you cannot do manual combat on the app, starting with manual combat makes it a lot easier to learn as you can asses the result based on you expectation and external factors like map layout somthing you cannot see with autocombat.

A strange result is often the result of map barriers, but how can he diagnose and learn from this odd result if you do not know of additional factors outside the combat pentagon?

A very good example, that also shows that things always have another level that one can look at.

What is true for the 5 thieves (range 5 mages are best) is less true for 5 Ancient Orcs (still Mages can kill a lot of them, but they cannot stay out of range anymore) and is a horrible idea if facing 5 dogs (no damage and nearly guaranteed to get massacred after the first hit). All of the enemies are LM units you can face in the tourneys, but what works best against them is very different. The pentagon is unfortunately not much use in figuring this out.

As a first step in your trial and error path to fighting, the pentagon is quite useful. But as @CrazyWizard has said, the App is an extremely bad teacher and I would say it is nearly impossible to become good at fighting if one has no access to a browser at all. For learning the browser is nearly a must. Once you know how it works it is easy enough to go back to do the actual bulk of fighting on the App. It is much faster there :) I do between 90%-100% of my fighting every week in the App.

Scythian75

Seeker

If you do manual, then use experience, try and learn what works and what doesn't.
Also in which chapter are you? are you writing under a pseudonym? I only see a chapter 2 account under your name and those do not have a spire.

Hi, thanks for answer! I could learn a lot from it!
Otherwise, my "main" world is Arendyll where I almost finished chapter III so that is why the Spire of Eternity is available for me there.
Well, I cannot argue with you about level of army at beginning although my city is on much higher level then it should be thanks to the lot of money what I have already "invested in" but I do not mind at all! I like this game to be honest and yes, I have 4 armories on level 8 each, barracks on level 7, training ground level 3 and the highest mage is sorceress (just go it) but have no time to train many so not bad but yes, not strong enough for 2 waves battle!

Thanks for advice once again, as it seems, I need more time to grow up and achieve that level where I have more opportunities!

Scythian75

Seeker
I am not quite sure what you do there with your excel sheet, but in general: Use 5 of the same units, do not use 1 of each that is best against 1 of the enemy. The AI doesn´t work that way, and will not use your logics, but instead use the entirely wrong units more often than not. Much better to use 5 of the same unit (the one that wins most battles).

In the spire you can only get 3 enemy types in a fight, that makes it much easier. Sometimes you even get 3 enemy types in a way that is something like LM,LR, HR, so you can use your own HR and have noone actually strong against you. Which HR is best would depend on how many of each type you are facing. But even if you have some facing you that is strong against you, it´s not a deal breaker as long as it is only 1 or 2 squads of those.
Thanks a lot! I tried using 5 of same unit (promoted archer) as you suggested and it worked! I was so happy! There was 3 waves battle at the first gate (High Halls) and finally I won! Although my army almost "eliminated" but I do not mind! Meanwhile I got sorceresses, what's more I could upgrade my squad-size as well so yes... I am getting better in battle! Thanks again!

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Hi, thanks for answer! I could learn a lot from it!
Otherwise, my "main" world is Arendyll where I almost finished chapter III so that is why the Spire of Eternity is available for me there.
Well, I cannot argue with you about level of army at beginning although my city is on much higher level then it should be thanks to the lot of money what I have already "invested in" but I do not mind at all! I like this game to be honest and yes, I have 4 armories on level 8 each, barracks on level 7, training ground level 3 and the highest mage is sorceress (just go it) but have no time to train many so not bad but yes, not strong enough for 2 waves battle!

Thanks for advice once again, as it seems, I need more time to grow up and achieve that level where I have more opportunities!

Fighting will be really tough in the early chapters, in general it's easier to aquire goods for negotiations than fighting,
This changes when you slowly unlock more 3* units, this is where the game pretty much changes from negotiation works best to fighting works best.
The more 3* units you unlock the better it becomes.

So expect some difficulties for now battling and do not be to discouraged if you cannnot do the same things as others can, eventually you'll be able to do better in the future.

Scythian75

Seeker
Fighting will be really tough in the early chapters, in general it's easier to aquire goods for negotiations than fighting,
This changes when you slowly unlock more 3* units, this is where the game pretty much changes from negotiation works best to fighting works best.
The more 3* units you unlock the better it becomes.

So expect some difficulties for now battling and do not be to discouraged if you cannnot do the same things as others can, eventually you'll be able to do better in the future.
Thanks for advice again, although I prefer battle instead of negotiation cos battle consumes my army what I can replace easier then produce goods. What's more, it is possible to train army and produce goods at the same time and if I can save goods with fight I definitely do that so I am doing fight in Tournaments and Spire of eternity and everywhere I have a little chance to win and it is working and I like to win!
Otherwise, can I ask more questions pls? If so, I use the same type of unit as you suggested but sometimes the first wave's enemy is so so 1 type and the second wave is totally different so my question is, what can you suggest in this case? I mean for example the enemy's first wave is Mage and HM and the second wave is full of swords. I would use archers only and the first round should be ok but the second round will defeated I guess cos the sword is very good against archers. It would be good to know for the future cos I like Spire event but sometimes I get stuck on a station cos I do not want to destroy my army. I know, my level is not enough to train 5* units at this moment but in my opinion the system always gives my enemy on my level, am I right? Thanks for advice!

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Thanks for advice again, although I prefer battle instead of negotiation cos battle consumes my army what I can replace easier then produce goods. What's more, it is possible to train army and produce goods at the same time and if I can save goods with fight I definitely do that so I am doing fight in Tournaments and Spire of eternity and everywhere I have a little chance to win and it is working and I like to win!
Otherwise, can I ask more questions pls? If so, I use the same type of unit as you suggested but sometimes the first wave's enemy is so so 1 type and the second wave is totally different so my question is, what can you suggest in this case? I mean for example the enemy's first wave is Mage and HM and the second wave is full of swords. I would use archers only and the first round should be ok but the second round will defeated I guess cos the sword is very good against archers. It would be good to know for the future cos I like Spire event but sometimes I get stuck on a station cos I do not want to destroy my army. I know, my level is not enough to train 5* units at this moment but in my opinion the system always gives my enemy on my level, am I right? Thanks for advice!

It depends (as always)

If wave 1 is friendly to 1 unit and fight 2 is different, find a middle ground. which unit resonable in the first and second wave.

Example:
1st wave enemey LR, second wave HM,

Agains the first LM and HR is good, agains the second LR and Mages aree good.
Mages cant survive LR and LM ands HR cant survive HM.

Therfore the best solution would be LR which are neutral vs LR and good agains the second round.

If no middle ground can be found and it's just horrible in any way. or you can't win it because your units are to weak to, then negotiate.
Expect as lot of unwinnable battles, especially 2 waves untill you reach the end of the dwarven chapter, thats when things slowly get better.

Your example is pretty much unwinnable untill you get access to 3* priest(maybe 2*) or 2* blossom(maybe 1 star will work) depending on which race you selected.

With those even as they are considered "bad" according to the triangle, you can use it's range, and special powers to kill of the swords before they have the opportunity to hit you. this works not as well with for example frogs (cannoneers has the wrong powers and just sucks) as it lacks strength to really hurt the enemey quickly and effectively.

Last edited:

Gargon667

Mentor

In the spire you can only get 3 different types of units as enemies, but as you said it is still possible to get really tough combinations.
In the tourney you don´t get waves, but you can get up to 5 different enemy types.

The next step is to look at the individual units, not just the types. For example if the LM units facing you are dogs , you can still have a good chance using Archers, but it is a very bad idea to use mages (dogs are very specialized against Mages), the opposite is true for the Ancient Orcs, thy really kill Archers, but you can get away with using Mages. Even though "officially" LM is good against both LR and Mages. Maybe you get lucky and face thieves, you can kill them using either archers or mages, because thieves have no defense whatsoever, all you need is to make sure you kill them, before they get you, because it hurts when they do ;)

Of course early on in the game your unit options are more limited, but that gets better as you play through the chapters (halfway through chapter 15 you will have the full army camp maxed at 3 stars.

One more thing you can do is always manual fighting, if you play on the browser. If you have that option, give it a try. Scout the terrain and see if you can use it to your advantage. Mixing troops is an option if you fight manually as well. So there are things you can try at least :)

Last resort is of course always the catering/convincing option, it´s not expensive to use that option, if you only use it as a last resort if all else fails :)

Scythian75

Seeker
In the spire you can only get 3 different types of units as enemies, but as you said it is still possible to get really tough combinations.
In the tourney you don´t get waves, but you can get up to 5 different enemy types.

The next step is to look at the individual units, not just the types. For example if the LM units facing you are dogs , you can still have a good chance using Archers, but it is a very bad idea to use mages (dogs are very specialized against Mages), the opposite is true for the Ancient Orcs, thy really kill Archers, but you can get away with using Mages. Even though "officially" LM is good against both LR and Mages. Maybe you get lucky and face thieves, you can kill them using either archers or mages, because thieves have no defense whatsoever, all you need is to make sure you kill them, before they get you, because it hurts when they do ;)

Of course early on in the game your unit options are more limited, but that gets better as you play through the chapters (halfway through chapter 15 you will have the full army camp maxed at 3 stars.

One more thing you can do is always manual fighting, if you play on the browser. If you have that option, give it a try. Scout the terrain and see if you can use it to your advantage. Mixing troops is an option if you fight manually as well. So there are things you can try at least :)

Last resort is of course always the catering/convincing option, it´s not expensive to use that option, if you only use it as a last resort if all else fails :)
I cant say anything else just massive THANKS for all advice! I really appreciate your teaching! Yes, all what you wrote is OK and I keep them in my mind (I take notes a lot ) for the future when my lvl achieves minimum lvl15 to get a chance for a strong army but it is far away now so I can use what I have currently. This is that time when I have no powerful army yet so I can use what I have (first of all my brain)! As I mentioned, I still prefer fight instead of negotiation to safe raw material for growing and events tasks and that is why I need to negotiate for provinces cos the opponent is always on much higher lvl than me so I have no chance to win against them unfortunately.
Otherwise, I try to analyse the individual units if you meant "rate of unit" is how many signs ( the 2 crossed swords) indicated behind that unit 's best against unit and these data is registered in an excel sheet (I mentioned it earlier) one by one so yes, this the other characteristic of the particular unit that should be considered when I select it and this is what I need to learn and practice a lot.
Many thanks again and if you have any idea about which unit is the best against sword dancer 2, pls do not hesitate to tell me cos this unit is a really pain in my a**! Currently, Treant, Vallorian guard, Golem and Orc strategist are available for me to train and in my opinion Mage and LR units are not so good against it.

Gargon667

Mentor
I cant say anything else just massive THANKS for all advice! I really appreciate your teaching! Yes, all what you wrote is OK and I keep them in my mind (I take notes a lot ) for the future when my lvl achieves minimum lvl15 to get a chance for a strong army but it is far away now so I can use what I have currently. This is that time when I have no powerful army yet so I can use what I have (first of all my brain)! As I mentioned, I still prefer fight instead of negotiation to safe raw material for growing and events tasks and that is why I need to negotiate for provinces cos the opponent is always on much higher lvl than me so I have no chance to win against them unfortunately.
Otherwise, I try to analyse the individual units if you meant "rate of unit" is how many signs ( the 2 crossed swords) indicated behind that unit 's best against unit and these data is registered in an excel sheet (I mentioned it earlier) one by one so yes, this the other characteristic of the particular unit that should be considered when I select it and this is what I need to learn and practice a lot.
Many thanks again and if you have any idea about which unit is the best against sword dancer 2, pls do not hesitate to tell me cos this unit is a really pain in my a**! Currently, Treant, Vallorian guard, Golem and Orc strategist are available for me to train and in my opinion Mage and LR units are not so good against it.

Sword Dancer? They are more or less the worst unit in the game ;) I suppose you must have trouble with them because you are fighting against a much bigger Squad size? Or of course geography can always play nasty tricks on you... Out of the options you listed I would say treants or golems should work best, depending on what else there is...

The thing with the number of crossed swords is not a very good indicator. Unfortunately you don´t get good ingame info on units in the mobile version. The info in the browser is much more detailed, but you can look up the units specifics in the wiki. It´s not in the game, but it´s the best info available if you play mobile only :) It also has tons of useful info on everything else.

Pauly7

Magus
The thing with the number of crossed swords is not a very good indicator.
It's a good point to remember.

Otherwise, I try to analyse the individual units if you meant "rate of unit" is how many signs ( the 2 crossed swords) indicated behind that unit 's best against unit
It's easy to think that because you have 3 star barracks units that they are going to be better than your other units with less stars, but that often isn't the case. If you've unlocked the Mercenary Camp yet and the Blossom Mages, for example, you will straight away find them to be better on 1 star, than your barracks units are on 3 star (especially if you're an elf). So yeah, there are times when the barracks troops have more crossed swords, but aren't nearly as good. Consider range of attack, range of motion, strike back ability and special powers.

Scythian75

Seeker

I cant say anything else just massive THANKS for all advice! I really appreciate your teaching! Yes, all what you wrote is OK and I keep them in my mind (I take notes a lot ) for the future when my lvl achieves minimum lvl15 to get a chance for a strong army but it is far away now so I can use what I have currently. This is that time when I have no powerful army yet so I can use what I have (first of all my brain)!
Many thanks again and if you have any idea about which unit is the best against sword dancer 2, pls do not hesitate to tell me cos this unit is a really pain in my a**! Currently Treant,

Scythian75

Seeker
Sword Dancer? They are more or less the worst unit in the game ;) I suppose you must have trouble with them because you are fighting against a much bigger Squad size? Or of course geography can always play nasty tricks on you... Out of the options you listed I would say treants or golems should work best, depending on what else there is...

The thing with the number of crossed swords is not a very good indicator. Unfortunately you don´t get good ingame info on units in the mobile version. The info in the browser is much more detailed, but you can look up the units specifics in the wiki. It´s not in the game, but it´s the best info available if you play mobile only :) It also has tons of useful info on everything else.
Yes, the sword dancer. I always get many in the opponent's army, especially the woman face(?) looks so dangerous cos this kind of unit is capable to kill many of my archers! I use treant against it 1 squad maximum and archer the most. Otherwise, I play the game on mobile app most of the time cos I can check what is going on in the city anywhere and anytime and do tournaments fight on app as well cos those fight are so easy and never defeated so it is ok but for Spire fight, of course I am playing through the browser and yes, I check there everything what you say!
So, you say treant or golem the best one. I am researching superior barracks at this moment and I am not too far away from treant promotion in chapter 4 so this one will be the next what I can achieve soon. I found a unit comparison list on elvanarchitect, what do you think about it? Is it ok to gain basic knowledge about units?

Scythian75

Seeker
It's a good point to remember.

It's easy to think that because you have 3 star barracks units that they are going to be better than your other units with less stars, but that often isn't the case. If you've unlocked the Mercenary Camp yet and the Blossom Mages, for example, you will straight away find them to be better on 1 star, than your barracks units are on 3 star (especially if you're an elf). So yeah, there are times when the barracks troops have more crossed swords, but aren't nearly as good. Consider range of attack, range of motion, strike back ability and special powers.
Oh yes, Mercenary Camp. I am at the chapter 3 so Mercenary Camp can be a dream only for me currently but thanks for advice, I try to keep it in my memory and remember to this when the time is coming! I prefer fight instead of negotiation cos first of all, I need raw material for growing and negotiate with provinces (cos the opponent is always too hard for me now to bit) at second, I like fighting so why should I negotiate if I have chance to win via fight? And that is why I am here to learn and get advice about how can I win using my current possibilities so thanks again for your advice!
Otherwise, in my opinion, the army "hierarchy" is Barracks, Training Grounds, Mercenary Camp, am I right? If so, I can train maximum rated 3 stuff (LM, LR) in Barracks, rated 4 stuff in Training Grounds and rated 5 stuff in Mercenary Camp of course the adequate researching must be done first so I mean, maybe I can have lvl 100 barracks and plenty of armories, rated 3 stuff is the maximum what I can train in this building and I could step up to the next level just if I finished the adequate researching and upgrade the buildings of course.

Scythian75

Seeker

the combat pentagon works best if you are in the very early game and play on manual. this is because special abilities on units are not yet unlocked.
and often the same with attack boosting buildings which you do not yet have or developed. in an early game the with sub par units a 2 wave fight might be very impossible due to the lack of power.

In general it's a game of striking first, the one who deals the first blow wins. this becomes especially prominent when units unlock there special abilities. at that point the ranged unit with the correct ability might outperform "the best unit" just by the fact the can decimate that unit on the initial strike.

The game also alows some units attack to be improved, the stronger the improvement the stronger ranged units become.

My prime example is how I often use blossom mages/priests vs light melee. according to the combat pentagon thats the dumbest move ever.
But because these units have a special power that destroy defence and have a range of 5 they can strike first AND stay out of harms way.
The first hit does limited damage but the next unit does a massive amount of damage because you just destroyed his defence.

So my favorite units agains thieves are 5 range mage units.
This is something you can only learn by ignoring the combat triangle, look at each units strategic strength and weakness and then experiment to test you theories.
For this reason it's a shame you cannot do manual combat on the app, starting with manual combat makes it a lot easier to learn as you can asses the result based on you expectation and external factors like map layout somthing you cannot see with autocombat.

A strange result is often the result of map barriers, but how can he diagnose and learn from this odd result if you do not know of additional factors outside the combat pentagon?
Wow, yes it is so weird for me to use Mage against LM (I would not use them at this time I am sure) at my experience lvl but that is why I am here and ask questions cos everybody is different with different method of fight and thinking and of course experience so thanks for your advice! I am going to " analyse" what you wrote and use as many as possible from it! And yes, you are right! This battle cannot be learned through app so let the app to work in Tournaments (I use app for Tourn.m. only) and do the "real" fight in manual mode on browser! I do my best to be a good student and hopefully, after a time I can finish all chapters what need to be done to gain high rated units but till that time I can use what I have! Thanks again!

Gargon667

Mentor
Yes, the sword dancer. I always get many in the opponent's army, especially the woman face(?) looks so dangerous cos this kind of unit is capable to kill many of my archers! I use treant against it 1 squad maximum and archer the most. Otherwise, I play the game on mobile app most of the time cos I can check what is going on in the city anywhere and anytime and do tournaments fight on app as well cos those fight are so easy and never defeated so it is ok but for Spire fight, of course I am playing through the browser and yes, I check there everything what you say!
So, you say treant or golem the best one. I am researching superior barracks at this moment and I am not too far away from treant promotion in chapter 4 so this one will be the next what I can achieve soon. I found a unit comparison list on elvanarchitect, what do you think about it? Is it ok to gain basic knowledge about units?

I can´t say, I never looked at the units part of the architect page. Basically what you want to see is the details of each unit. Especially the bonus they have against certain unit types as well as the special abilities.
I think you are talking about the thief? It moves similar and looks similar to a sword dancer. It is however a different unit. The thieves I mentioned before: The ting with them is: They can do a lot of damage, especially to LR and M units (+70% damage to both), and their special ability makes them do even more damage on the second hit, but they are very limited in their range, they only walk 3steps and only hit range 1, so they have a total range of 4. And they have a second weakness: No defense bonus whatsoever, which means anyone can kill them very easily. So all you need to do is make sure you hit them first. If you have archers, you´ll have to hit them multiple squads. If you use Blossom Mages or priests (both have range 5) you can easily shoot them, but they will not be able to hit you back, so just stay out of range and keep shooting them. Super easy. Of course you can use nearly anything else just as well, just make sure you can hit them multiple times and they´ll be too dead to retaliate :)

Gargon667

Mentor
Wow, yes it is so weird for me to use Mage against LM (I would not use them at this time I am sure) at my experience lvl but that is why I am here and ask questions cos everybody is different with different method of fight and thinking and of course experience so thanks for your advice! I am going to " analyse" what you wrote and use as many as possible from it! And yes, you are right! This battle cannot be learned through app so let the app to work in Tournaments (I use app for Tourn.m. only) and do the "real" fight in manual mode on browser! I do my best to be a good student and hopefully, after a time I can finish all chapters what need to be done to gain high rated units but till that time I can use what I have! Thanks again!

Make sure you keep scouting as many provinces as you can, the more provinces you have the more difficult the tourney gets, you´ll get some real fights there soon enough as well :) Of course you also get far more rewards (especially KP) the more provinces you have which lets you move through chapters faster
I do the same, I autofight most fights on the App and only do the very difficult fights manually on the browser.
As to why you would use resources instead of fight: I suppose the main reason is that you have killed all your troops fighting and have none left lol. And of course some difficult fights are good to cater, so you can save more of your troops for fighting more of the easy fights :)

Aisling1

Conjurer
Reasons for using troops rather than catering. In almost all tournaments, and many "medium" encouters it is much cheaper. In event quests, and standard quests, and quests in general it can save you time.. and the same in tournaments. (Auto fight, fight and finish, fight and results) - You may have many troops in hand, that you do not require,or have to produce immediately and knowing how and where to deploy them can see a lower level win against a higher star/ level combination if you chose right. At worst it wins and saves you time, produce, coin and supplies.

Aisling1

Conjurer
Important. Manual fight is not the same as picking fight, lining up the troops and using auto finish. This is auto fight with a sightly better chance.
Also, finish fight automatically is the same as watching the fight to the finish, automatically. This uses least flexible options and is largely based on squad size as well as qualities.. (will get your doggies engaging orc warriors while the blossom mage be
This uses the best of the troops you have chosen, but not necessarily in the best way. Try manual, when you have time and leisure

TurtleKing

Novice
Hello CrazyWizard. Thank for all this info. I understand the process of elimination in the negotiation option. What I want to know is; have you ever found any patterns e.g. The big Knight likes only crystal and planks? etc etc ? Thanks TurtleKing