• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

January Competition Time!!

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Head over to our January competition on our Community Contests section of the Forum.

Here you will find the plight of Ernie the Young Elf!

Submit your answers for a chance to win Diam:diamond:nds, and if extremely lucky, an awesome Grand Prize!!

We look forward to receiving your entries and of course wish you the very best of luck :D

Kind Regards

Your Elvenar Team

Stucon

Illusionist
Why can't you folk organise these things correctly?
What do you have to do for the entry?
I am GUESSING that you enter a name, a weapon and a place.
BUT it doesn't say that anywhere.

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
It is more clear now :) You can see the requirements right below the entry button:

Requirements:
For a correct entry, you need to share a story about what happened, and this story has to contain:

The weapon.
The perpetrator.
The location.

Gargon667

Mentor
I think the problem may be for people that are not familiar with the game?
Or maybe they think they are supposed to be able to logically deduce the solution instead of a storytelling competition?

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Rightyho... allow me to define this right down to the simple of simples.... :)

Similar to Cluedo... you all choose a Character, a Weapon, and a Location. However.... in addition to that, we want you to embellish on your choices by providing the backstory! Nothing major! Just the Dramatic Bits :D

Now just to clarify, whilst there is a Winning Combination, this is a purely (pre selected) random combo, as your choices should be. Give it a whirl!!

Kind Regards and Good Luck!!

Herodite.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
Yes, I struggled to understand the instructions. The words ‘correct entry’ indicates that it must be a logical deduction, although on the other hand, I get the impression that the most creative entry will win the prize.

I assume some work has been done on the write-up since it first appeared. Sorry guys, There are still places with awkward reading.

In case of creative entry, I know who will win if she enters. :)

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Do not forget that we have a who, where and the weapon used already fixed @BlueBlou so however brilliant a backstory could be, if it is missing those three things correctly guessed, it could not be counted in the winners.
Hence as this is quite a large and involved competition we have the rare privilege to be able to grant a Gravity Inn!!!!

Elvenar Gravity Inn.jpg

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I am still somewhat confused, I'm afraid. I'd actually love to have a go at a piece of creative writing, but I'm also unusually busy offline at the moment with a few unexpected family problems that have come up, so if I'm going to make time for hobbies just at the moment, I'd like to know exactly what's what, before I commit myself. Sorry to keep on asking questions, but I'm genuinely still a bit unsure!

So... I'm very familiar with Cluedo (being of a generation which grew up on classic board games) - but in Cluedo, the 'Who killed Whom, Where, and with Which Weapon' can always be logically deduced, even though it's initially randomly determined. Is that the case in this Competition, i.e. can we actually logically deduce (for certain) the Character, Weapon, and Location from the information and clues provided, or not?

It's clear from the above Mod comments that even the most wonderfully inventive story can't win the Competition if the Character, Weapon, and/or Location aren't also 100% correct, so if there's going to be any element of randomness in terms of getting those correct (meaning: any random chance in addition to what can be logically deduced), I'm afraid I won't be able to justify taking time out of my currently busy RL to write a story... if I can even put aside enough time at all, as already mentioned, even though I do think this would be a lot of fun, in theory.

Thanks in advance for your response, trusty Forum Mods :D

BlueBlou

Illusionist
“ In the early hours of New Years Day, young Ernie the Elf was found terribly. “

What does this sentence mean? Terribly what? There either needs to come something after terribly or the word terribly must be changed to another word.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
I am still somewhat confused, I'm afraid. I'd actually love to have a go at a piece of creative writing, but I'm also unusually busy offline at the moment with a few unexpected family problems that have come up, so if I'm going to make time for hobbies just at the moment, I'd like to know exactly what's what, before I commit myself. Sorry to keep on asking questions, but I'm genuinely still a bit unsure!

So... I'm very familiar with Cluedo (being of a generation which grew up on classic board games) - but in Cluedo, the 'Who killed Whom, Where, and with Which Weapon' can always be logically deduced, even though it's initially randomly determined. Is that the case in this Competition, i.e. can we actually logically deduce (for certain) the Character, Weapon, and Location from the information and clues provided, or not?

It's clear from the above Mod comments that even the most wonderfully inventive story can't win the Competition if the Character, Weapon, and/or Location aren't also 100% correct, so if there's going to be any element of randomness in terms of getting those correct (meaning: any random chance in addition to what can be logically deduced), I'm afraid I won't be able to justify taking time out of my currently busy RL to write a story... if I can even put aside enough time at all, as already mentioned, even though I do think this would be a lot of fun, in theory.

Thanks in advance for your response, trusty Forum Mods :D

Hi @Laurelin the main part of this Comp is to choose a combination. The winning combination has been randomly selected so no further investigation is needed on your part, just to choose! However, a decent backstory could also grant the boon of a Gravity Inn should the combination be also correct. For those that don't get the Winning Combination but still come close to the actual combo with 2 items, that's where the story also comes in to help win those Diamonds :)

I hope that makes a bit more sense!

Herodite.

Last edited:

Stucon

Illusionist
So you can spend time and intellectual effort to have a 139 in 140 (99.29%) chance of being wrong; so it would be a complete waste of time.
Seriously! Did anyone think this through?

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @Stucon we'll certainly take your feedback on board for future Competitions however I must say, we've already had some sterling entries from our players!! If you don't give it a go, you've a 0% chance of winning anything!

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
The same as any competition, if the answer was glaringly obvious, where would the fun of it be?
Also the reason we are able to offer this coveted building, which is the rarest in Elvenar!!! as the first prize due to the involvement needed.
If you do not know about this very special building, please check out our Gravity Inn-troduction from when we launched this beauty!