• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Advanced Scouts & Expansions

. Storm

Dreamer
How far over the next chapters provence requirement (for Advanced Scouts) can you go before the game starts increasing the opponent army you face in your current chapter? Is it based on a percentage? (Trying to not shoot myself in the foot, again) I need +7 provinces for one expansion, but I already have enough for next chapter. Thanks.

Pauly7

Magus
It's based on rings of provinces out from the centre (the centre being where your city is). As soon as you start a new ring the fights will be more difficult and the catering more expensive. (Actually I feel as though there may be minor changes within the same ring, but someone else may be able to confirm or refute that.)

So, in summary, the difficulty of a province does not have a direct link to chapter requirements. However, completing Advanced Scouts will bring all those costs and fighting difficulty back down a notch.

Lelanya

Mentor
That is a good question, and I am not sure myself. @Mykan might know, or @Muf-Muf, at what point an expansion transitions from needing 4 provinces, to 5. I am sure mine dropped at one point, and went from 9, to 10, and dropped back to 9. I have heard of 12, from folks who've passed the new limits for solved provinces.
Ahh opponents and difficulty, now. Inno has a scale, yep, for when they change colour and difficulty. Scout research and in some instances squad size upgrades factor into it.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
So, in summary, the difficulty of a province does not have a direct link to chapter requirements. However, completing Advanced Scouts will bring all those costs and fighting difficulty back down a notch.

And with Squad Size upgrade you make your tournaments, and spire get worse, and worse, and worse... skip the optional squad size upgrades... and in five-six months you consider them again if you want, you will be happy you skipped them.

Gargon667

Mentor
How far over the next chapters provence requirement (for Advanced Scouts) can you go before the game starts increasing the opponent army you face in your current chapter? Is it based on a percentage? (Trying to not shoot myself in the foot, again) I need +7 provinces for one expansion, but I already have enough for next chapter. Thanks.

I would say: Never stop scouting! At least not until you reach 500 provinces (last province expansion). But even then I wouldn´t stop, some AWs are based on your provinces (DA, Heroes maybe others, that i can´t remember right now). For active tourney players it is the limiting factor on how many provinces you can do each week (but of course that is only an issue for tourney nutcases later on). The only time there can be a problem is before Orcs chapter (if you play very slowly), when you simply cannot scout more, because you need Orcs to complete provinces. On the other hand: If you play chapters fast then in later chapters you may not even be able to keep up with the requirements...

Deleted User - 1634960

The progression of the Province requirements for the next Expansion is set, and is not related to progress through the Chapters. The fulkl list can be found on the Expansions page of the Wiki.

Early in the game, it is best to stay close to the number of completed Provinces needed to advance to the next Chapter. You can extend this once you start with the guest races. As Scouting costs determine the cost of Negotiation (and the size of enemies you face when fighting), It is also best to keep your Scouting efforts in line with your clearing efforts early on.

Skipping the early optional Squad Size Upgrades is counterproductive in the early Chapters if you plan to fight the Encounters at all.

CrazyWizard

Shaman

The enemies power is based on the coin cost of the scout, the more expensive the scout the more powerfull your enemy is.
As advanced scouts reduce this "coin cost" this also reduces the enemies power.

The difficulty comparison between your army and that of the enemy is based on the enemies power vs your squad size.
Each of these values are standing on it's own

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Thank you, I agree! But I always get shouted down, mainly by players with older cities. Squad size upgrades do not do a terrible amount of harm, this game is balanced. I will taking one or two soon, my blue provinces are vanishing.

In the current game SS do help on the world map, but hurt your performance in the tournaments.
This is because a higher SS create more losses in the tournaments with the same unit production:

Example:
Both players can produce 1.000.000 archers a week
The SS of player A is 3300 and player B 4000

Both players play a battle in the tournament and loose 10% of there units in this battle (enemy is balanced towards your SS so you both face the same enemy with a different strenth value so the losses are the same percentage wise)

For player A this is: 3300(ss) * 5(unit slots) * 0.1(10% loss) = 1650 dead archers
For player B this is: 4000(ss) * 5(unit slots) * 0.1(10% loss) = 2000 dead archers.

As you can see player A has the advantage here, he lost less archer so is able to get more value out of the same 1.000.000 archers compared to player B who will run out of his archers earlier than player A.

Since you can battle hundreds and sometimes thousands of battles a week in the tournaments, while for many max 8-16 battles a week on the world map this is why people came up with this idea to skip unnessesary SS to keep the losses in the tournaments low.

The "impossible fights" on the world map are then solved using negotiating instead of fighting saving up units to be used in the tournaments.

Pauly7

Magus
Since you can battle hundreds and sometimes thousands of battles a week in the tournaments, while for many max 8-16 battles a week on the world map this is why people came up with this idea to skip unnessesary SS to keep the losses in the tournaments low.
The early-game player could conceivably do more than 8-16 world map battles and this could exceed their number of tournament encounters, but I still agree with you entirely, because it is only the first few weeks playing the game, normally, where increased squad size is a benefit - apart from some fringe cases of people who may wish to cater tournaments, but fight world map encounters.

It can be a little damaging to early games to advise players to take those upgrades because they may end up assuming that they will always be beneficial and keep taking them.

DeletedUser7526

Doing optional SS upgrades is inviting permanent damage for a limited benefit.

World map provinces are limited. Tournaments are unlimited.

DeletedUser8850

Where Do The Optional Squad Size Upgrades Start? Dwarves Chapter?

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
It should be noted that Squad Size only impacts world map fights, but not negotiations. If you negotiate in world map provinces (I did and still do almost exclusively), you will have no advantage at all of researching optional Squad Size Upgrades.

Gargon667

Mentor
No, there are some in every chapter, it's just dwarf chapter before you can afford to start skipping them.

Skipping them is always a good idea, I skipped all of them (except the very first one) and am very happy I did. Provinces never have been a problem whatsoever. If they are not asy to fight, they are always easy to cater. The amount necessary to do so is negligible compared to catering tourneys (which is a good idea early on).

DeletedUser8850

Good To Know. I Will Start Skipping The Optional Squad Size Upgrades. I AM Up To Chapter 6: Dwarves So I Can Still Benefit A Lot By Not Getting Any More Of Them! Are There Some Squad Size Upgrades That Are Not Optional ie. Required For A Required Tech?

Pauly7

Magus
Are There Some Squad Size Upgrades That Are Not Optional ie. Required For A Required Tech?
Yes, you will see on the research tree that some SS upgrades appear at the end of a line with nothing following after them. Those ones you can ignore, but the ones with a chain of researches following them must be completed in order to continue.

DeletedUser8850

In Open Beta, The Next Tournament Will Remove Squad Size As A Detriment To Tournament Provinces, As Well As Standardising 5 Armies For All Encounters! All-So There Will Be One Encounter That Immediately Shows Up For 4 Times The Cost.

AstralSoul

Illusionist
I would say: Never stop scouting! At least not until you reach 500 provinces (last province expansion). But even then I wouldn´t stop, some AWs are based on your provinces (DA, Heroes maybe others, that i can´t remember right now). For active tourney players it is the limiting factor on how many provinces you can do each week (but of course that is only an issue for tourney nutcases later on). The only time there can be a problem is before Orcs chapter (if you play very slowly), when you simply cannot scout more, because you need Orcs to complete provinces. On the other hand: If you play chapters fast then in later chapters you may not even be able to keep up with the requirements...

And it sucks when "there is a lot more in me" to keep going in that steel tournament, and at province 51, you get no more... so I copy this so much.

Also, I believe you are before orcs, right? You will hit the orc ring once you reach to ring 10. Okay, @Gargon667 said it already. I am unsure if I will need sentient goods eventually (I do not produce now), but I have 337 provinces out of 250 needed for advanced scouts for my next chapter. So, indeed, never stop scouting. Sometimes I like to leave some provinces 7/8 for the "Complete a province" event task...

BorisUr

Dreamer
1.What else, besides the range, determines the strength of opponents when capturing provinces?
2.Does it depend on the level of the town hall or only on the head of research?
3.Also at tournaments or in the spire? o_O