• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Fighting Style

DeletedUser9850

Why doesn't Elvenar include manual fighting system in mobile phone?It would be so much useful

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Because it takes a long time, energy. and money to code and Elvenar started off as a Browser game. Don't worry, eventually, they will do it I am sure!

However, you will possibly need a powerful phone, and that will limit some players. INNO can still work around this, requiring more code, and time.

DeletedUser9850

Yeah,phone processor have to be of good level.And must have enough memory.But manual system is must.Without it,sometimes winning seems impossible.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Because it takes a long time, energy. and money to code and Elvenar started off as a Browser game. Don't worry, eventually, they will do it I am sure!

However, you will possibly need a powerful phone, and that will limit some players. INNO can still work around this, requiring more code, and time.

I would not expect it to ever come, when the app came out, they experimented with players that could and could not play manually in the browser.
This experiment was canceled after several months and now everyone can do manual battles again.

But this tells me that they tried it the other way around, they tried to removen it from the browser. so I would not expect manual battles any time soon, if not foverver on mobile.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
Manual fighting takes a lot of time. It is most useful for detecting bugs in the battle code. However, having this possibility on browser is sufficient, no need to bloat mobile version code.

Elvenar's lore is about peaceful coexistence and helpfulnes. For me the battles, especially the manual fights, do not fit that world.

Putting effort into getting mobile players a view on the battlefield seems wasteful to me. I would rather have anything that replaced the killing.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I still can't imagine how anyone has time in their lives for manual fighting. How long would that take if I was to fight through 60 provinces manually? OK for people that are doing 4 or 5 provinces I guess.
Tournaments you are totally correct, tho I do this once every 9 weeks (steel) because it saves me near a week of unit production, The first ~40 provincies I do on autocombat, but the other 40 more expensive ones are done manually, and it takes a lot lot lot of time. about 3-4 hours per round if I hurry up.

But there is an alternative reason.
Spire!, I would not try a 2 or worse a 3 wave battle without manual fighting,
Well in fact I am not even trying, but if I did, manual would be the way to go.

Unlike the tournaments this is "doable" mainly because after eacht 4 chests on level 2 and 3 of the spire your het 7-9h of waiting time, this spaces it out into small edible chuncks.

DeletedUser4149

manual fighting saves lives. "a pint of sweat can save a gallon of blood" is what General George S Patton used to say.
it does take time but i recommend auto fighting in the earlier battles and trying to at least do some manual fights in the highest provinces you do where squad sizes are largest and you can save the most lives for the time spent, especially in cases where the computer will make bad choices when it comes to the units it'll target for you. (that last concept i explain better in a recent thread title "how difficult does it get")
being familiar w/ manual fighting also helps a lot to visualize what's going to happen in the majority of autofights and that will improve the decisions you make when it comes to troop selection and placement.

for example, manual fighters should know what those numbers represent.
also, a lot of players don't do every province they have unlocked. when you get to a certain point, it can be very efficient to just do some provinces twice each where they pay 5kp per province in round 2 for every province above 9. then you'll have 4 whole days to manually fight in just 2 rounds of the tournament. that's easy on almost anyone's schedule.

Pauly7

Magus
But there is an alternative reason.
Spire!, I would not try a 2 or worse a 3 wave battle without manual fighting,
Well in fact I am not even trying, but if I did, manual would be the way to go.
We both know the Spire is what our goods are for!

also, a lot of players don't do every province they have unlocked. when you get to a certain point, it can be very efficient to just do some provinces twice each where they pay 5kp per province in round 2 for every province above 9. then you'll have 4 whole days to manually fight in just 2 rounds of the tournament. that's easy on almost anyone's schedule.
The first ~40 provincies I do on autocombat, but the other 40 more expensive ones are done manually, and it takes a lot lot lot of time. about 3-4 hours per round if I hurry up.
I do appreciate the point about being better informed if you understand the mechanics of manual fighting. I could definitely know more because I don't do it very often at all. Just occasionally when I fancy killing some time. So I may, at some point, start doing some as a learning exercise, but I'm not going to continue doing it. If I had a real urgent need to save some troops one week then maybe, I get that, but I find any more than one manual encounter to be fairly excruciating. A tournament round takes longer and longer anyway. I don't ever want it to be in my life more than about 45 minutes. I can bang out 60 in half an hour if I concentrate... I can work with that.

Last edited:

AstralSoul

Illusionist
for example, manual fighters should know what those numbers represent.

I am very, very busy with business, play elvenar to unwind, and manual battle takes a lot of time, I prefer to put a bit more time real-life working, and if I made a mess (I rarely do), a diamond fix is cheaper if you take time as a resource, real-life time hehe.

However, I believe I know what they mean. Manual battle mechanics are similar from a "heroes" game that started in the 90s, where you conquered castles, it wasn't empire building type. But don't want to dig there since its a different game (now I think extinct)

DeletedUser9850

Surely manual battle takes a lot of time.But there are many battles where without manual battle or negotiation,none can win.Cause in auto battle,troops just fight with each other.They don't fight according to their effectiveness on the opponent.Example:In a battle,there is mage and light melee unit.You gave heavy melee for light melee and light range for mage.But what happens is light range fight with light melee and heavy melee with mage.And the result is you loose.
That's why manual fighting is important.Cause everyone can't negotiate.

Pauly7

Magus
Surely manual battle takes a lot of time.But there are many battles where without manual battle or negotiation,none can win.Cause in auto battle,troops just fight with each other.They don't fight according to their effectiveness on the opponent.Example:In a battle,there is mage and light melee unit.You gave heavy melee for light melee and light range for mage.But what happens is light range fight with light melee and heavy melee with mage.And the result is you loose.
That's why manual fighting is important.Cause everyone can't negotiate.
No fights are unwinnable with auto-fighting. It sometimes comes down to how many boosts your troops are getting.

FieryArien

Necromancer
No fights are unwinnable with auto-fighting. It sometimes comes down to how many boosts your troops are getting.
I dislike the idea of having to add boosts to the following fight to be able to win it:
AFE412B3-AD2F-4EB5-9A30-7FC8AEE7D64F.jpeg

It’s not from the final rounds of tournament, where you face overwhelming force. It’s from Spire and it’s just regular one wave fight in the first or the second level (I don’t play the third level). I was really surprised and I’m absolutely sure that I’d win that fight if I could use manual fight option.

DeletedUser4149

a lot of players, especially newer, won't have those boosts, like fire phoenix, ELRs, UUUs, etcPauly7

a diamond fix is cheaper if you take time as a resource
could be but i thought replacing troops by using diamonds looked very inefficient compared to other uses of diamonds, like expansions and magic homes. but i'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to diamonds, by far.

by 4,2,1,3,5 i was referring to the way troops are placed on the battlefield from combat set up. the 4th unit you choose is on top and across from the comp's 4th unit. 2nd unit is below that. 1st is middle. 5th unit chosen is on bottom. for the comp, it's actually 8,6,4,2,1,3,5,7 but its 3rd unit will be directly across from your 3rd, 5th across from your 5th, etc.. when initiatives are the same, your 5th unit will attack 1st and your 1st unit chosen will attack last. this can prevent treants from getting log jammed in bottleneck areas.

tip-if there's a dog in the comp's 4th, 6th, or 8th spots this week, you can safely use a mage in your 5th spot and it's likely the dog will be dead or at least seriously reduced before it gets in range to attack your mage in round 2. since mages are targeted before lt melee, this will drastically reduce casualties because that mage absorbs heavy ranged damage from the computer's mortars much better than axes or swords in crystal fights this week.

we don't really need or want to use cerbs this week since they are usually harder to produce and have less health than axes and swords and because sorceresses will usually come into axe or sword range in round 1. save the dogs for scrolls or dust if you bothered to make 'em. i didn't. there are a lotta better things to put kp into than a vict springs wonder

DeletedUser4149

i like jack luyt's youtube video "elvenar basic-skipping a turn". it's very similar to the way i sometimes fight. we don't really need to skip a turn though, just stay outta range and let the enemies come to us at times. dude also does a good job of killing the front line while stayin' outta range of "the big slow fatties" as he put it--the heavy melee orcs.

this doesn't work for all spire encounters and i tend to use heavy melee to fight heavy melee (i explain this on the thread "how difficult does it get") but for 7 outta 9 weeks, when fighting 3 enemy troop types, i simplify those 3 types into just 2. in planks, lt melee and lt ranged are both weak vs heavy ranged, so i mostly just think about enemy troops that are gonna be weak vs my HR and those that'll be strong vs. them--heavy melee. if we trade HM for HM, like pawn for pawn in chess, then my HR will win easily vs all remaining units. this week, i'll be trading my axe and swords (LM) for sorceresses so that my HM can win easily vs HR and LM. we'll have enemy troops that are strong vs HM and those that are weak vs HM in crystal fights. it is much easier to think of enemy groups as just 2 types of troops for matchup purposes. i'd at least start at this point before considering that orc strategists are better vs lt ranged and it should be more efficient to use golems or mortars vs. lt melee than to use orc strats.

in any given province, 2 enemy troop types are bound to have the same weakness. sometimes matchups are even easier than described if there isn't a significant number of a certain troop type. so you will find cases when you can think of even better units to choose but that should be even easier to figure out than when confronted by all 3 types.

DeletedUser9850

by 4,2,1,3,5 i was referring to the way troops are placed on the battlefield from combat set up. the 4th unit you choose is on top and across from the comp's 4th unit. 2nd unit is below that. 1st is middle. 5th unit chosen is on bottom. for the comp, it's actually 8,6,4,2,1,3,5,7 but its 3rd unit will be directly across from your 3rd, 5th across from your 5th, etc.. when initiatives are the same, your 5th unit will attack 1st and your 1st unit chosen will attack last. this can prevent treants from getting log jammed in bottleneck areas.
Hey,if this really works then manual battle is no longer needed.I'm gonna check it in next tournament.Thanks @yo momma love me .And can you tell if this arrangement is the enemy's arrangement too or the enemy's arrangement is different?

DeletedUser4149

enemy's is the same but goes further to account for when it has 8 units
4 4
2 2
1 1
3 3
5 5
of course the hexes aren't perfectly vertical and i didn't offset them exactly like they should. your 2nd and 3rd spots are closer to more enemies because of this.
manual still helps though because you can make better decisions about what you wanna target, you can run out of attacking range of enemies if you're not in a good position to attack or wanna draw them in closer, you can avoid wasting damage from heavy overkills, and you might wanna focus attacks on units that have weakened defense and spread out attacks that weaken offense(the mage attack effects and others from lvl 3 units)

DeletedUser4149

computer messed up my diagram after it was posted. it's got the computer units on the left instead of the right now but it's still otherwise right as far how theyre placed horizontally--in other words, its 8th unit is on top and its 7th is on bottom.

DeletedUser4149

this really works
yes, but manual still helps. i used a few messages here to answer but when fighting in the crystal tournament, if they have a sorceress in their 3rd spot, i'll place an axe or sword in my 3rd spot. not only will that place it closer to be able to attack the mage but due to targeting priorities, it'll prevent the mage from attacking my heavy melee since the mage will be in range to attack my LM.

this can get a little more complicated due to the way the hexes are offset, but actually, if theres a mage in the computers 5th spot, then your 3rd and 5th spots are equally close to it. lining them up vertically is easiest but keep in mind how hexes are offset if you're trying to keepp your mages away from dogs, mistwalkers, or in similar situations