• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Culture Overview

Pauly7

Magus
I guess that a lot of people will say they wouldn't be too fussed about this, but I keep thinking that it would be nice if there were some sort of "Cultural Overview" window or tooltip that showed in a list:

• Each culture producing building
  • Their current culture value
  • Their "polished status"
  • Time remaining for its culture bonus
  • Whether an EE spell is acting on it
  • The time remaining for the EE spell
  • The effect on culture bonus

I have a lot of culture buildings here and there and I like to maintain a 230% (or so) culture bonus. I tend to drop EE spells on all my buildings, topping them up for about 30 days at a time. Every once in a while I go round dropping more spells on the buildings. It would be nice, though, when you see you have a culture bonus of, say, 200%, whether that is because several buildings are just unpolished or whether any of them need more culture spells adding.

It could almost be a little bit like the new Ancient Wonder menu, so you could just scroll across and add spells to buildings without seeking them out in your city.

Gargon667

Mentor
The Strategist in me loves the idea. but being an Orc, culture is about as useful as fairies, except that fairies taste good. or to translate this into a more useful comment:

Nice idea, but not for me :)

Pauly7

Magus
The Strategist in me loves the idea. but being an Orc, culture is about as useful as fairies, except that fairies taste good. or to translate this into a more useful comment:
Culture in itself is not useful, but the reason this becomes more important now is how much the culture bonus affects the coin and supplies output. I need to maximise them for the Spire.

Gargon667

Mentor
Culture in itself is not useful, but the reason this becomes more important now is how much the culture bonus affects the coin and supplies output. I need to maximise them for the Spire.

AWs and instants don´t get (or need) a culture boost. WS are the worst buildings in the game, leaves only Magic WS (chapter 15 or higher) as serious options for supply production that depends on a culture boost. I have 2 of those (from the spire) and I have a culture boost of 160 (no help) or 175 (with help) sure I could get more, but unless I am upgrading 5 armories at the same time I really don´t see the point of growing the wholesalers belly even bigger. Yes I know not everybody builds efficient buildings for various reasons, which is why I said it´s a nice idea for some people. But in my town culture is a byproduct that I care rather little about. My minimum of 160% that I get from completely ignoring it and never ever building a culture only building is quite enough. I use EE enchantments as mana instants only, but in the last 2.5 chapters there never (at least as far as I remember) was need for any mana more than what a few sets and evolving buildings produce. Shame really i like using my Dragon Abbey. But well maybe some day.

Pauly7

Magus
AWs and instants don´t get (or need) a culture boost. WS are the worst buildings in the game, leaves only Magic WS (chapter 15 or higher) as serious options for supply production that depends on a culture boost.
This is about evolving buildings. These are all affected by the culture boost. One May Tree pays me something around 2.5 million coins a day and that can only be done by having the culture boost kept well above 200%. I have two May Trees, a Fire Phoenix, Storm Phoenix and Aureate Phoenix. I would build any of these buildings just for the coins.

Gargon667

Mentor
This is about evolving buildings. These are all affected by the culture boost. One May Tree pays me something around 2.5 million coins a day and that can only be done by having the culture boost kept well above 200%. I have two May Trees, a Fire Phoenix, Storm Phoenix and Aureate Phoenix. I would build any of these buildings just for the coins.

I am sorry I completely ignored the coin part... I have extremely rarely experienced running out of gold (only last day of spire when catering only). If I do I visit my neighbours. Otherwise my gold is full. I have not had to go as far as using a coin instant in months. I must have hundreds of them by now from all those silly events, but I never look at them in my inventory since the start of the spire made spell fragments a non-issue (coin rains used to be the first thing to disenchant)... So no I would never ever build any building for coins... And I have frankly no explanation where the discrepancy between our towns comes from. I have only 9 (or 10?) magic houses, no normal houses or any other gold producing event buildings. The 2 mio from my GA every 3 hours seems to basically cover all my regular needs. Then the few houses and evolving buildings do the rest.

Btw Culture boost will only increase the base production of your building. Not the link bonus (in sets) or secondary productions in event buildings. So for example the Firebird, gets a Culture bonus for the gold, but not for the supplies. Coldfire gets none at all (primary is sentient), but the Stonehenge is lucky with a primaty supplies :)

Pauly7

Magus
And I have frankly no explanation where the discrepancy between our towns comes from. I have only 9 (or 10?) magic houses, no normal houses or any other gold producing event buildings. The 2 mio from my GA every 3 hours seems to basically cover all my regular needs. Then the few houses and evolving buildings do the rest.
I'm not sure either. My GA doesn't give me that much, but I've never concentrated on upgrading it to a high level. It may pay me to do that. Right now I get about a million per 3 hours. That could easily be the discrepancy. On the two or three days that I'm not playing in the Spire my MH fills to the brim and I am burning coins in the Wholesaler. When I'm playing the Spire I can easily be running out. My supplies all get burned by the Brown Bear / Time Booster production.

Gargon667

Mentor
I'm not sure either. My GA doesn't give me that much, but I've never concentrated on upgrading it to a high level. It may pay me to do that. Right now I get about a million per 3 hours. That could easily be the discrepancy. On the two or three days that I'm not playing in the Spire my MH fills to the brim and I am burning coins in the Wholesaler. When I'm playing the Spire I can easily be running out. My supplies all get burned by the Brown Bear / Time Booster production.

Ah well my GA is 26, for the pop of course, not the gold...

The brown bear, doesn´t cost any supplies, if anything it saves you from needing supplies. You get more units, for the same amount of supplies as before (same as the Simia).
But yes time boosting troops costs supplies. However it costs such amounts of supplies as can never be produced by WS or any building, because of the cap on Supplies in the main Hall. You cannot have more than max, then you use them all and then that´s it. More WS don´t help, only Supply instants do. So when I go timeboosting it is alternating 100% supply instants and then boosting troops until empty, rinse repeat. Maybe 10 or 20 or times (and a few hundred 5h/8h timeboosts). And then i don´t worry about my troops for the next month or 2. I see no way how any buildings could keep up with that. If you want to do it with buildings you would have to constantly feed that bear and then pet food will run out... So I can´t see that as a long-term solution.

Pauly7

Magus
The brown bear, doesn´t cost any supplies, if anything it saves you from needing supplies. You get more units, for the same amount of supplies as before (same as the Simia).
When I feed my Brown Bears I will follow that with dropping 50 hours or so of time boosters on the barracks... so that is how the supplies are used.