• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Benefit Analysis of various builds

rock stream

Scholar
Has someone developed a way to compare apples, oranges, asparagus and rocks?
Buildings with coins, supplies, culture, troops, and population.
What makes them good, bad or ugly?
Single supply buildings like culture or workshops are easy to reduce to yield per tile. What do you with a producer of population, supplies and coins?

DeletedUser4149

when i compared event prizes, i noticed that elvenar uses a ratio similar to 2 culture being about equal to 1 population. 300 culture and pop would be about equal to a similarly sized building that awards only 900 culture or only 450 pop. most cities will probably find population to be more valuable than culture though. it's also easy to get more coins than you'll need. but i always focused my efforts on making my cities' militaries as strong as possible because i wanted to have fun fighting. i don't regret that at all. combat is one of the most efficient ways to grow a city.

rock stream

Scholar
So how should I evaluate the Festive May Tree Chapter 4, Stage 10 4 x 4
Culture 249 Population 124 (2 to 1)
Production per 24 hour: 3 KP, 672 Marble, 8,160 Supplies
There's many examples with this type of multiple production profile.

DeletedUser4149

that's a tough question to account for all of those productions and to measure them all. i'd just keep any well evolved building and restore it because it's probably very efficient due to the way the game makers try to balance prizes. i'd use the generalization that most prizes are about = to what you can build 2 chapters later to figure if a building is good or not for non-evolving ones. also keep in mind that the marble and supplies produced are made without using people, culture, gold, and supplies and that's an under-rated feature.

Pauly7

Magus
It's very difficult to compare oranges to rocks, purely because different things have different importance to different players.

To me, the May Tree is very valuable because it's one of the best coin producers out there. When you're like me and don't have that many residences, but you want a lot of coins to spend in the Spire, buildings like that one and any of the phoenixes, would be worth it just for the coin output alone. Other people will say that they are well catered for by all their houses so it's unimportant. The same goes for supplies. There is also the differing effect of culture bonus. I like to maintain at least 230%, which more than doubles the coin and tools output of any evolving building, but not everyone is in that position.

I have 16k of unused population, so culture/pop buildings don't excite me, but I guess the bigger majority are always looking for more population.

I like the idea of a complex formula to assign a value to any given building, but I don't see anything better than just comparing something tile for tile with similar buildings.

DeletedUser4149

pauly has a good point that you gotta consider which benefits are most useful to you. population is probably most important to most. but i'd compare event buildings to other event buildings whenever possible 'cause they'll always be better than what you can build, unless more than 2 chapters old. i'd want as many evolving building as possible, as long as theyre well evolved. then i'd want newish event buildings. then buildable stuff last.

Julian

Sorcerer
I agree that requirements differ for different players. However, in the past I worked on making a universal score. It's a bit complicated, but it basically used benchmark buildings, namely the best building for a given product. For example the great auction giving the best culture per unit area. I then rated other buildings against them and added everything up. For example, the orcish float gave 35% of the best culture and 48% of the best population, giving it an overall score of 82%. I need to update my spreadsheet, but my best building was my coldfire phoenix with a score of 272%. (Evolving buildings often go above 100%). Perhaps I'll make a more detailed post when I've more time.

Pauly7

Magus
All sorts of calculations are possible, but it still depends on what is important. If one building had 100 pop + 100 culture, I expect it would rate higher on your scale than a building which had 130 pop + 0 culture, but the latter would be a better building to some people, if not most people.

Pauly7

Magus
And pop/culture is the easy one. To compare coins/supplies against orc production or against population becomes very subjective.

rock stream

Scholar
I think the “benefits are most useful to you” could be simply reduced to the highest yield per square of X. If I need culture but something offers high yield supplies per square I should take it and remove a lower producing supply building allowing me more space for culture.

In the May tree example who cares if you get a little marble. Its really about the population, culture and the KP. It could be the KP isn't that important also.

Thank-you all for the responses. It is great food for thought (with a little indigestion) to try to figure out some answers.
Perhaps I'll make a more detailed post when I've more time.
I'm looking forward to it Julian:)

Pauly7

Magus
In the May tree example who cares if you get a little marble. Its really about the population, culture and the KP. It could be the KP isn't that important also.
For me the May Tree is all about the coins. I get over 2 million a day from it and that's absolutely what I need... which was kind of my point about priorities.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
A common denominator for alsmost all buildings is space.

How effecient can I build other buildings doing the same thing in less space.

KP are hard to quantify but can be seen as a bonus, coins, supplies, culture, population, seends, mana, orcs whatever can be reduced to "space values"
Do not forget that you calculate chains.

Example: the production of goods requires a chain of factories + culture(factory) and pop + culture(residence) to calulate space efficiency.
This gives you a general comparison except for specials as seeds, KP, and other goods that arent space based in game.

rock stream

Scholar
A common denominator for almost all buildings is space.
Yes I agree. Hence the statement yield per square. I don't think I'll get to your level of review but I would like to offer some guidance to the fellowship. I will try to develop something over the next little while.

Gargon667

Mentor
when i compared event prizes, i noticed that elvenar uses a ratio similar to 2 culture being about equal to 1 population. 300 culture and pop would be about equal to a similarly sized building that awards only 900 culture or only 450 pop. most cities will probably find population to be more valuable than culture though. it's also easy to get more coins than you'll need. but i always focused my efforts on making my cities' militaries as strong as possible because i wanted to have fun fighting. i don't regret that at all. combat is one of the most efficient ways to grow a city.
I personally use a 10:1 ratio when I do this. Culture just isn´t worth much to me... Just make up your own mind how much you value culture...

Gargon667

Mentor
I think the “benefits are most useful to you” could be simply reduced to the highest yield per square of X. If I need culture but something offers high yield supplies per square I should take it and remove a lower producing supply building allowing me more space for culture.

Now I would have said the whole point of it is the Goods production. Everything else is a bonus. So I would compare it to a factory of your level (including of corse cost/bonus pop+culture etc... I wrote a more lengthy explanation in the other thread...

But of course you could turn it all upside down and instead compare it to a residence (then you would have to calculate the amount of factories you save)