• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion Elvarian Carnival

DeletedUser3571

They never put anything about these events untill it comes out, mabye the day before

Jackluyt

Shaman
  1. I just had what I think is a great idea! It seems that the designers are struggling to come up with a wide variety of new quests - so why not have a Competition with a Diamond Prize for the people who suggest the best new quests?
    Who knows - there might be some brilliant suggestions

2. There are two tests a good quest should pass, according to me:

i. Is it possible for the average player to do it, without having to destroy good buildings and rebuild them from scratch, or in any other way deviate from their normal pattern of play, or be forced to change the way their cities are constructed?
    If the quest passes this one, go to the next test.

ii. Are there any players who for various reasons cannot do the quest - or who for various reason would REALLY prefer not to do it (like being forced to overscout when you are trying to limit Map exploration, etc.)
    If there are players who would prefer not to do the quest, or who physically cannot - then there should be an alternative provided, to make the Event fair and accessible to everyone.

Sir Derf

Adept
Question, is this a suped-up Valentine's event, or an early more normal event?

Last year, we had Winter, Valentine's, Carnival, Phoenix and Summer
We just had Winter. Now we have a Carnival with a Valentine's evolving grand prize.

Last year, Valentine's was 10 days long (2/7-2/16), 33 fixed quests, no chests and a pop/cult Grand Prize.
Last year Carnival was 22 days long (2/22-3/15), 85 fixed events, rotating chests and Grand Prizes that include Set Buildings.

Pauly7

Magus
I think that in the last event they got the quest system just about right. Now we are just backtracking to the days of people finishing in 5 days and having nothing to do.

As has been said the grand prize is of no real interest and the chest rewards have been halved. I'll just play through at a natural pace. There's no reason to look up quests.

Gargon667

Mentor
The speculation over on beta is that the limited questline is just a hotfix to resolve some major balancing issues that have only just become apparent, and is not a feature that will likely appear in future events. With the event going live in only a few days they simply didn't have time to figure out and test a suitable solution to the original questline, so we've got this instead, just so the event can work, even if it's a bit ordinary. That's just speculation though. We have no official word on that.

*edit* To put things in perspective, the original questline on beta was resulting in lots of players finishing it with a mere 4-6 artefacts, meaning they'd never have a chance to get their building to level 10. Not sure if this new questline fixes that, so we'll just have to wait and see.

the first part is so far the only explanation that makes at least a little bit of sense. The second part does not for various reasons: 1. It is very simple to calculate how many artifacs one gets for finishing a basic quest line. Everyone who can write the code for it can do that calculation in 5 minutes, so they cannot be surprised about the result. 2. If the only problem you have is people not getting enough candy, add as many as needed to every quest in the basic line, so it does not affect bonus quests. Takes 1 minute to change the code. However the first part of the message still is a possibility. Balancing may be the problem and there may still be loopholes for unlimited rewards (I haven´t looked much, but on first glance not seen one). They have nerfed the possibilty to gain time boosts both in the chests and in the dailies, as well as bonus quests have been nerfed in amont of event currency gained.

Inno has tried for multiple events now to get a random and unlimited quest line to work. They have failed badly in the beginning but tried to improve it every time. As bad as the winter event was (random presents especially), the quest line was absolutely OK.

Now going back to the old system... I don´t know what to call that. If there were issues with the carnival quest line, just reuse the winter one. I was not perfect maybe, but certainly better than this! I don´t think anyone abused the winter event for anything except for maybe taking a break from elvenar, but not because of the quest line. If the silly random presents were exchanged for the nerfed chests as they are now, the complaints would most likely have gone down to the average background noise. Inno could have said "we listen to your feedback" just as well then.

Anyway this is hopeless we can go back to playing the event for 3 days (if I try really hard NOT to play I might stretch it to 5 days) and then ignore the whole thing for the remaining 2.5 weeks. Focus on playing elvenar instead lol... well there are lots of people complaining about too many events, here is a 2 week holiday :) Or if someone was inclined to finish an event in 1 day, this is the chance, it is the easiest questline ever! The chance may (hopefully) never come again... I think I use the time instead to play another guest race... wasn´t really planning on it but well plans change...

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
3 questions
1. what time the day starts so to know how much time i have to finish daily quests
2. how you win daily prizes? random opening a chest? Can you win daily prize more than once?
3. when you collect 20 flags and get the grand prize you can collect another 20 and win again same day? if so what you will get the next one in rotation?

Gargon667

Mentor
Question, is this a suped-up Valentine's event, or an early more normal event?

Last year, we had Winter, Valentine's, Carnival, Phoenix and Summer
We just had Winter. Now we have a Carnival with a Valentine's evolving grand prize.

Last year, Valentine's was 10 days long (2/7-2/16), 33 fixed quests, no chests and a pop/cult Grand Prize.
Last year Carnival was 22 days long (2/22-3/15), 85 fixed events, rotating chests and Grand Prizes that include Set Buildings.

This is the normal carnival event. They skipped the valentines mini event (I guess the story had ended and it didn´t really fit the schedule this year anyway) and so people don´t complain about loosing the valentines mini they put the valentines float in the carnival event. I find that a good idea, so as to not have exactly the same things happening every year. Maybe we get a different mini event after the carnival instead. I don´t know maybe ski holiday or St. Patricks day or whatever if they can´t find anything in Germany to do around that time of year, there is lots of other cultures to loan from. Maybe there is a chinese dog festival going on or russian new years or what do I know. The equinox is not too far off, since they always like to do the solstice, but it might interfere with their Easter plans... It´s not that hard to find something ;)

Gargon667

Mentor
3 questions
1. what time the day starts so to know how much time i have to finish daily quests
2. how you win daily prizes? random opening a chest? Can you win daily prize more than once?
3. when you collect 20 flags and get the grand prize you can collect another 20 and win again same day? if so what you will get the next one in rotation?

1. usually around noon +/- a couple hours
2. open chests (different chances on different chests). Yes you can win as many dailies as you can open chests.
3. Yes every 20 flags you get another grand prize, they rotate: 1 building, 1 artifact, 1 building, 1 artifact ... (buildings are 5 different ones that also rotate)

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
Inno has tried for multiple events now to get a random and unlimited quest line to work. They have failed badly in the beginning but tried to improve it every time. As bad as the winter event was (random presents especially), the quest line was absolutely OK.

maybe they could try a "pseudo random|
which is still random but every set number of repeat you are quarantined to get the %
which achives
1. balanced experience for all players
2. a random feel on the game

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
1. usually around noon +/- a couple hours
2. open chests (different chances on different chests). Yes you can win as many dailies as you can open chests.
3. Yes every 20 flags you get another grand prize, they rotate: 1 building, 1 artifact, 1 building, 1 artifact ... (buildings are 5 different ones that also rotate)
what time zone "noon" , it is always noon somewhere, the wonder of international play

Julian

Sorcerer
what time zone "noon" , it is always noon somewhere, the wonder of international play
Noon Central European Time, 11am GMT

Timneh

Artisan

Are you asking what time new daily quest becomes available ? If you are it is Midnight German time but daily quests do not change until you finish the one you are on. You could actually save up a few days worth then do them all one after another until you catch up to the one for that day. If you wanted to you could ignore them and then do them all on the last day. That is how it has worked in the past with daily quests.

DeletedUser9209

I just looked at the quests on Elvengems. Where it lists (for instance) Produce Decorative Pillars one time, Produce Warrior Mask one time, Produce Wooden Mask one time - does that mean you need to build manufactories for your non-boosted goods? Or does it mean you produce whichever item applies to your T1 boosted goods?

Julian

Sorcerer
  1. I just had what I think is a great idea! It seems that the designers are struggling to come up with a wide variety of new quests - so why not have a Competition with a Diamond Prize for the people who suggest the best new quests?
    Who knows - there might be some brilliant suggestions
After you laid down the challenge, I've finally had a idea. How about a quest to build a certain number of road tiles? The requirement would be to build the highest road type you've unlocked.

The problem would come with the early guest races, where Dwarven Street, Blossom Street and Wooden Trail require guest-race resources you might no longer have. But you could perhaps say "Build 3 Wooden Trails Or 10 Ornate Streets" for those in the Woodelves chapter. There's no problem with the later roads, which require mana and other standard goods.

ANIKHTOS

Soothsayer
in event will be shown somewhere the daily prize? since i would prefer to get many of some and none of ohers