• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered New Archmage

shazbot62

Adventurer
I'm new to forum, Been playing a couple years and still have a lot to learn, I've only recently learned how to participate in adventures, have done 2 and was biggest scoring player.
Our former AM just left. After a little discussion most of the best players went elsewhere and somehow I became Archmage. WE have 13 members left, only 2 I even recognize the names.
I suppose I could leave as well, But I don't mind the challenge, and I thought I'd give it a try. I've invited a couple players who are unattached that I trade with and help regularly. It's only been a few days but in the last tournament I scored just under 500, another player 60, and another 30. So stand back here we come LoL
I know it will be a uphill challenge, and I still have alot to learn, but the last AM was no basket of knowledge either.

Support was little help other than direct me towards elvenstats.com and told me there are 3rd party sites mentioned here regularly. So, here I am. besides this might be fun too.

Julian

Sorcerer
Welcome to the forum, shazbot. Look up your fellowship in elvenstats. I can see that you're in Gray Wolf, and their score has certainly crashed recently. It also shows me that eight of your fellows are inactive. Yes, they help keep up your fellowship score. But that's just vanity. I'd get rid of them, and start with a clean slate. Market your fellowship as a rejuvenated fellowship. Lots of inactive members would put off any applicant who also uses elvenstats.

I'd also advise making full use of your Overview page for your fellowship. I've had several of my fellows join my fellowship because they we attracted by what it says.

shazbot62

Adventurer
Thank You Julian; and Happy New Year!
You seem to glean more info from elvenstats than I. Most of the steady rise you see was me, I hate to blow my own horn but from what I see by the columns on the graphs there are only a couple other members with a pulse. As we only have 14 members (one brand new) should'nt I get some more new befor weeding dormant. And how can I tell the last time a player played, maybe there just on hold for a bit. Your help is greatly appreachiated .

Pauly7

Magus
The thing is, as @Julian says, many good players thinking of joining your FS will first look at Elvenstats. Check exclamation marks next to people's names. They are inactive players and they stand out a mile off. Looking at an FS with lots of those looks like an unmanaged inactive team. For me that is a much bigger minus than looking at a small group who are shouting loud about wanting to make it a better place and looking to future glories.

Julian

Sorcerer
Thank You Julian; and Happy New Year!
You seem to glean more info from elvenstats than I. Most of the steady rise you see was me, I hate to blow my own horn but from what I see by the columns on the graphs there are only a couple other members with a pulse. As we only have 14 members (one brand new) should'nt I get some more new befor weeding dormant. And how can I tell the last time a player played, maybe there just on hold for a bit. Your help is greatly appreachiated .
It is true that some people could be on hold. Last week I kicked off someone who's been inactive for five weeks or so, only for them to pop back up and rejoin this morning. But I'm now full. I can afford to be strict. You can be a bit more relaxed. You can click on an individual player in elvenstats and see exactly when they last played. You can pick a cut off that you're happy with. Perhaps three months inactivity.

One option you could consider is merging your fellowship with another one. It's something I considered, but then I got new recruits so didn't proceed. I eyed up the performance of fellowships in the adventure and then checked them out in elvenstats. I was looking for inviting a small fellowship to join us. You either want to find another small one or find a big one with room to take you all. Just a thought.

shazbot62

Adventurer
It is true that some people could be on hold. Last week I kicked off someone who's been inactive for five weeks or so, only for them to pop back up and rejoin this morning. But I'm now full. I can afford to be strict. You can be a bit more relaxed. You can click on an individual player in elvenstats and see exactly when they last played. You can pick a cut off that you're happy with. Perhaps three months inactivity.

One option you could consider is merging your fellowship with another one. It's something I considered, but then I got new recruits so didn't proceed. I eyed up the performance of fellowships in the adventure and then checked them out in elvenstats. I was looking for inviting a small fellowship to join us. You either want to find another small one or find a big one with room to take you all. Just a thought.

shazbot62

Adventurer
Thanks again Julian, or should I call you obiwan? Did they have elves and stuff in Star wars? LOL Anyway I set the bar at 3 mos. for a start and weeded out 4 players. Is there a place where I can see performance in the adventures in elvenstats?

Last edited:

Schnukie

Spellcaster
Hi shazbotz
I agree with Julian you need to loose inactive players. I was also put in this position . was made Archmage recently and am still learning our leader recently left. I also have the same challenge as you.

Julian

Sorcerer
Thanks again Julian, or should I call you obiwan? Did they have elves and stuff in Star wars? LOL Anyway I set the bar at 3 mos. for a start and weeded out 4 players. Is there a place where I can see performance in the adventures in elvenstats?
I don't think there is in elvenstats. But in the game (at least the PC version), click on the trophy under your avatar. This will bring up your personal rankings. Then you can click on the adventure tab and show the rankings of the fellowships in the last adventure.

shazbot62

Adventurer
Thanks again Julian! I don't know what I'd do without you. Well I guess do, it would be so easy to just choose another fellowship like the others did, But the challenge is half the fun, there is no paycheck in it.
I also appreciate the feed back of the others, Pauly7, and Schukie, Schukie how long ago was you ordeal? and did all your key players bail too? The most names I've ever seen on a tournament was 4 - 6, never got to 3rd chest. I've been playing for about 2 years and just figured out how the adventures worked, because there was no guidance form senior members. Two adventures ago I figured how to contribute my efforts, but was only myself and one other player coordinating our efforts, the old AM contributed but did not collaborate with us, and on the last I was between dwarf and fairyland and was able to dedicate a lot of open real estate to the adv with level 1 and 2 buildings, and still only made it to 3rd level. once I got a look at that all I could say is WOW!!!

Anyway my big question for today is... I was trying to rewrite our overview. I deleted 3 times and was typing away,, Like a phoenix from the ashes, bla bla, feeling creative without discouraging anyone, but looking for tournament minded individuals, Anyway, typing away then something else would pop up, and it was all gone with the original back in it's place. I am not blessed with the patience for that. Is there somewhere I can type it up, then cut and paste it? Or am I doing something else wrong? Oh yeah I was also keeping another tab open for spell checking.
I'm on disability and have time on my hands, but I do have limits. I do know what I'd do without you guys Thanks!!

Sir Derf

Adept
Well, that box accepts Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, so yeah, any text editing program would work. Notepad, Wordpad, Word, Gmail draft, Amazon delivery ordering instructions. Heck, I'd imagine you could type it all into the address bar of your browser as if it was a web address and copy out of there and into the Overview field.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Well done @shazbot62 for stepping up to the challenge of Archmage.
I hope you have got to grips with the overview. It is always worth adding the word ''recruiting'' to the fellowships name to help players pinpoint a fellowship. So many are seeking an active chatty grup to be within.

shazbot62

Adventurer
Thanks Silmaril I'll do that, I just wish my group was more chatty. I've weeded out 4 for no show for 3 mos, I think I'm going to do 4 more for being over 30 days, all with message that they are welcome back. I recruited 1 new, but all remain silent. This is more work than I imagined, I see why old AM let things slide. Didn't get it done yet but coming soon, I'm still a little disgruntled over the 3 attempts that vanished on me. Sometimes I just need to get away from it for a minute LOL

Pauly7

Magus
It can be a hard journey building a fully functioning group. I've been doing it the better part of three years, but the first half of that was tough thinking I wouldn't manage it. Others have been much more fast tracked to success though.

When putting together your overview for me the most important thing is deciding on the rules. Some people want a relaxed carefree team and that is fine, but if you do that be prepared for getting that. If you want everyone to play tournaments, adventures, etc, then say that. If people know where they stand to begin with then the journey will be smoother. You could also outline what happens if people are inactive for X amount of time without letting you know and you can then refer to it when you send a message.

I'm not certain the usefulness of placing 'recruiting' in your name. I've always thought that people can already see if there's a space... Equally it can't do any harm.

shazbot62

Adventurer
Thanks pauly; I kind of figured the rules can evolve as we grow, I've already changed from 90 to 30 days inactive. I thought it would be good to invite all Types and once we get to 20 or more apply a little peer pressure to those getting a free ride. I don't need to put in in writing do I? like by laws. I never seen or heard of rules from the old group, but then our performance sucked. once I started to figure out the tournaments and especially the adventures I started to realize how lame we were. I know sometimes I didn't have the resources but they could count on me for 90 or so. But when it was for one I was boosted in I gave everything I had. or like right now I can't find a gems relic for crafting to save my life. next time around I'm all in.

I know there are many different styles of play, as you can see just by looking at the set up of different cities. I've seen some set up with a ton of low level buildings. You know that guy will be nice to have around for adventures, but is he any good for goods? Then I see guy's (and gals) who have next to no production bldgs., AWs and other enchanted type bldgs. I honestly don't know how they succeed, but they are farther ahead than me. I really don't know. I've been trying to get my team members to follow this thread and post here or at home. But other than one guy who asked about how to use KPs from inventory the whole group has been quiet. I've been putting it on our message board, telling what I'm doing, asking for input, and nothing. As I mentioned earlier the last tournament, I thought we had 15 members (8 of which I expelled for no show for 30 days or more) one guy got 30 another 60 and I did 500 + to get 1 chest. I see that as a problem. Then there is, who's a mage who's a AMB and who is a fellow. I'm not a tyrant or a dictator and I damn sure don't know everything. It is just a game, it's supposed to be fun. I'm just glad I found this forum. Once again thanks to all who offered there thoughts.

Pauly7

Magus
I've already changed from 90 to 30 days inactive. I thought it would be good to invite all Types and once we get to 20 or more apply a little peer pressure to those getting a free ride.
Sounds sensible.
I don't need to put in in writing do I? like by laws. I never seen or heard of rules from the old group, but then our performance sucked.
It's up to you, but like you said there was never anything before and nothing positive came from it either. Lots of fellowships list several things that are expected of people. Sometimes it's tournament performance, FA achievement, Neighbourly Help frequency, trading rules, inactivity. Like you say they can be evolved as time passes and you get a feel for what is important to you. Make clear what is important, though, and it will be a happier place in the long run. It can also lead to more interaction between fellows.
I know there are many different styles of play, as you can see just by looking at the set up of different cities. I've seen some set up with a ton of low level buildings. You know that guy will be nice to have around for adventures, but is he any good for goods? Then I see guy's (and gals) who have next to no production bldgs., AWs and other enchanted type bldgs. I honestly don't know how they succeed, but they are farther ahead than me.
Like you say there are many ways to do it. For me I wouldn't look at high goods production as the most important thing. It is good to have 'balance', for sure, in terms of the total production of each goods type within the fellowship. This can lead to increased trading and everyone getting what they need, but depending on your priorities you can view the ability to produce troops as key, i.e. high level barracks, armouries and military AWs. There are many people who don't spend many goods on having a good tournament, myself included.
Then there is, who's a mage who's a AMB and who is a fellow
Another thing that there is no clear answer on. Most teams have 2, 3, 4 (or sometimes more) Mages. Some make everyone else Ambassador. Some don't do it at all. Take a look at the things each is able to do and then decide whether it would be better to limit those to certain people (i.e. inviting/expelling members, opening FA chests. etc.) Remember also that if someone is a Mage then it signals to people that they are the ones to come to for help, etc. That can be handy to share your burden.

Schnukie

Spellcaster
Thanks again Julian! I don't know what I'd do without you. Well I guess do, it would be so easy to just choose another fellowship like the others did, But the challenge is half the fun, there is no paycheck in it.
I also appreciate the feed back of the others, Pauly7, and Schukie, Schukie how long ago was you ordeal? and did all your key players bail too? The most names I've ever seen on a tournament was 4 - 6, never got to 3rd chest. I've been playing for about 2 years and just figured out how the adventures worked, because there was no guidance form senior members. Two adventures ago I figured how to contribute my efforts, but was only myself and one other player coordinating our efforts, the old AM contributed but did not collaborate with us, and on the last I was between dwarf and fairyland and was able to dedicate a lot of open real estate to the adv with level 1 and 2 buildings, and still only made it to 3rd level. once I got a look at that all I could say is WOW!!!

Anyway my big question for today is... I was trying to rewrite our overview. I deleted 3 times and was typing away,, Like a phoenix from the ashes, bla bla, feeling creative without discouraging anyone, but looking for tournament minded individuals, Anyway, typing away then something else would pop up, and it was all gone with the original back in it's place. I am not blessed with the patience for that. Is there somewhere I can type it up, then cut and paste it? Or am I doing something else wrong? Oh yeah I was also keeping another tab open for spell checking.
I'm on disability and have time on my hands, but I do have limits. I do know what I'd do without you guys Thanks!!

Julian

Sorcerer
My fellowship has the following when it comes to promotion: "Ambassadors have been members for more than 1 month and score 200+ tournament pts weekly. Mages have been members for 6+ months and score 600+ pts. Inactive members may be removed for others to join." You might want to be more relaxed initially. But promotion should be earned in some form.

Schnukie

Spellcaster
Hi in reply to your question I’ve been playing since May 18 was made archmage around sept 19 suggested I get rid of inactive players . two months later and our previous leader has left to go to another fellowship. So in charge of half of what we originally had only getting feedback from a coulple of players. Feeling very frustrated need to find chatty active players. I don’t expect everyone to be on all the time but just to get some imput and know people are still around tournaments are becoming harder as I am now putting in most of the points. Looking for people who enjoy the game. I’ve changed our first page to mention we are recruiting but it’s very hard.