• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Has anyone decided not to go with just the boosted goods manufactories?

DeletedUser

I am now on the Woodelves chapter and chose to keep all my manufactories rather than just my boosted goods. I know that takes up so much more of my space but I’m interested to know if anybody else has done the same? And if so, why? :0)

Deleted User - 1759805

I think many people do that in chapters 1-4, but I can imagine very - and I mean very- few still do that in Woodelves. It is just so inefficient. How many of each are you running and levels, and how quickly do you move through chapters?

There is a consolation prize for you though - if you last like that till Elementals, you can actually use some of your non-boosteds for sentient goods production... ;)

Deleted User - 341074

The thing is, once you're that far along you can trade your boosted goods in the wholesaler for more than what your non-boosted make :p

It's bad in the first few chapters, but once you get 500 relics and are making 8x more planks than steel it's just...silly. I mean you can trade 4 planks for 1 steel and it would be 100% better than making the steel yourself. Imagine how popular you would be if you did that, and you'd also end up with double the goods!

EDIT:
Obviously if aesthetics is your #1 concern in the game and you feel that having all factories looks better YMMV

Deleted User - 1759805

The thing is, once you're that far along you can trade your boosted goods in the wholesaler for more than what your non-boosted make :p

It's bad in the first few chapters, but once you get 500 relics and are making 8x more planks than steel it's just...silly. I mean you can trade 4 planks for 1 steel and it would be 100% better than making the steel yourself. Imagine how popular you would be if you did that, and you'd also end up with double the goods!
I could never understand the wholesaler argument, I think it is bogus. This trading 5:1 boosted/non-boosted only works for 1 trade a day - once you do this exchange, the rate immediately goes higher. And I don't know about you, but I can't run my non-boosted needs with 1 wholesale trade a day per good. The argument would be valid if wholesaler price would never go up, but it does, and very quickly.

No amount of boost negates wholesaler price increases. So you have to trade with other players; luckily, you will be getting rates that are much better than 5:1 (1:1 same tier), and there is generally no rate creep.

DeletedUser5976

I could never understand the wholesaler argument, I think it is bogus.
I don't think Soggy is talking about the wholesaler. He means even if you trade with other players 3 star trades giving 4 times as much of your boosted goods for the other goods, you're still better off than making the non-boosted manufactories producing those unboosted goods. Did that make sense?

Deleted User - 341074

Heh, you're both right
1. I mentioned the wholesaler forgetting they had changed it to increase every click(I don't use it)
2. I mentioned that trading with other players at 4:1 is 100% better than making nonboosted yourself at 1:8

Pauly7

Magus
Obviously if aesthetics is your #1 concern in the game and you feel that having all factories looks better YMMV
I think that this can be the only viable reason, but not even I keep producing non-boosted goods for the sake of aesthetics. I do keep 2 small plank and steel factories just so that I can do a bit of FA without it being a headache, but even aesthetically-speaking having multiple non-boosted manufactories wouldn't be good for my feng shui.

DeletedUser

Thank so much, Guys.
In light of what’s been said, l have a few other questions. So can you advise me on the following as well, please?
What’s a good number of each boosted manufactories only? How do you decide?
l always negotiate when l’m doing the Provinces rather than fight. Would this be more beneficial for me if I only traded with my boosted goods?
Would I have more space if I do have just my boosted manufactories?
And finally, if I do change to boosted only can anyone give me advice on the best way to do this, please. Would you sell every manufactory that's not boosted at the same time and then build up/build more of the boosted (I know my rating will plummet rapidly)? Seems a bit of a daunting task now, this far along!
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauly7

Magus
What’s a good number of each manufactories if I only trade with boosted goods?
That's quite a wide question because it differs a lot compared to playing style and also compared to how many event buildings someone has that kick out non-boosted goods and which ones. I currently have 6 x T1, 5 x T2 and 5 x T3, but I don't think I'm the norm.
And also, I always negotiate when l’m doing the Provinces rather than fight. Would this be more beneficial for me if I only traded with my boosted goods?
Whatever you are doing with goods it's always way more efficient to get your non-boosted goods by trading for them.

DeletedUser4503

I have to say that Boosted goods production was the only way I went but as you get to the higher Chapters you need to produce Sentient goods & you will need a level 24 non-boosted Manufactory - my boosts are Marble, Silk & Gems - I now need Crystal & Elixir to produce the Sentient Resources I need

So I would recommend reading the Next Chapters for which resources you need & building one Factory (you should only need one) & upgrade when you can to level 24

FieryArien

Necromancer
Sadly, it isn’t a constant; it varies as you progress through chapters. I’ve been forced to rebalance the number of my manufactories many times already. If you keep some minimal amount of goods at all times, you’ll notice when you get off balance and the saved goods will cover the adjusting re-building period until you find new balance.
l always negotiate when l’m doing the Provinces rather than fight. Would this be more beneficial for me if I only traded with my boosted goods?
As others stated: yes. If you have 500 relics for your boosted goods, you have 700% boost. Even if you put your boosted goods on sale in trader, you are still better of than producing the unboosted yourself. (The worst trade you are allowed to post within the same tier is 4:1.)
Would I have more space if I do have just my boosted manufactories?
That’s loaded question. :) If you aim for the same production, than yes, you’ll have more space. However, if you replace your unboosted factories with your boosted, you won’t have more space, but you’ll have higher production.
And finally, if I do change to boosted only can anyone give me advice on the best way to do this, please. Would you sell every manufactory that's not boosted at the same time and then build up/build more of the boosted (I know my rating will plummet rapidly)?
Depends on how many and how highly developed your unboosted factories are. Personally, if they are few or small, I’d tear them all down and have easier time building the boosted. If they are many and/or large, I’d go more gradually.
Seems a bit of a daunting task now, this far along!
It will be even worse if you postpone it. (Ouch, as I wrote it, I heard it in my mother’s voice.)

Deleted User - 1759805

Highly dependent on many factors. How often do you collect? E.g. if you can do 6x 3h collections a day, you can get a lot more from the same manufactories vs running them on 1 day cycles. How quickly do you move through the chapters? The slower you move, the less requirements you have on your daily production. Do you cater in tournaments a lot? That's a huge drain on goods. Do you have event buildings that produce goods? These may make a big difference. How much production can you support? Manufactories are expensive in terms of pop/culture.

Regardless, it makes more sense to think about total space occupied by manufactories rather than a number of buildings (e.g. 40 squares per tier). As buildings grow in size, you may drop some while keeping total space relatively constant. E.g. in Woodelves I switched from 5x planks to 3x planks as their size increased quite a bit. My total production output still increased.

So with that, some people run high number of manufactories. I run 3/2/2 setup since Woodelves, and can easily do with 2/2/2. I know some people do as low as 1/1/1 on boosted goods. There is no one size fits all ;)

m4rt1n

Adept
I removed all my non boosted factories when I started the Dwarves to make space for the settlement, as also my boost percentage was building nicely by that point in the game.

Sir Derf

Adept
I maintained all 9 manufactories through to Dwarves, a close to 9 month period. I felt that my surrounding neighborhood was not capable of supporting my desired trade volume if I had specialized, and I had not joined a fellowship. The combination of helpful trade partners able to support my desired volume, and the ability to gain bonus from gaining relics from participating in Tourneys is what allowed me to take the plunge.

Deleted User - 341074

l have a few other questions
I had a look at your city.
To convert you should
  1. remove all non-boosted
  2. use 2 builders to max remaining boosted
  3. use 3 builders to add 1 of each boosted from zero to max
oh and get rid of the training grounds and merc camp if you're not going to fight.

Add the mountain halls wonder

DeletedUser3671

When only negotiating, it frees space that otherwise would be used for workshops, since production of armies costs a lot of supplies.

I have been only negotiating since i started playing. It was actually the reason why i started playing this game; That it was possible :)

I started with 9 T1 factories, but slowly got down to 7. I also have 7 of T2 and T3. I only have 6 workshops. 2 armories is needed to get orc's for research and negotiating. But that's after the Orc's chapter ;-)

I'm always around 1 chapter behind on upgrading the factories to max, because it just cost to much in pop for what it gives in production. I know i have 5 magic residences, they give a good deal of pop more, but with the Phoenix Cult, in Elementals, giving 4.400 pop, they would not be needed. But i have them and that's nice :)

I produce 4x3 hours and 1x9 hour during night. I always make 10 provinces, 5 rounds in every tournament, which should tell you that i produce enough goods with my setup :)

If you wanna see my setup, i'm on Arendyll :)

Ohh, and i have always only produced boosted goods and traded to get the other ones. To me it's the only way, unless you like the look of your city having all the types of factories there is.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3671

Well, they also help in producing troops when doing quests. I know because i didn't upgrade them until after Orcs, and every quest demanding me train troops was just not doable. Which also applies when doing FA. It would take days for me to produce what others could do in hours.

So i would not go without my 2 armories, though they are only used for Orc's for research and negotiating, and quests. And they produce enough Orc's for me, so i don't need the Orc's Nest.

DeletedUser9252

It is better to keep all manufacturers. But some non-boosted, not too many! Most manufacturers should be boosted. Because if you need some other goods, but you dont want wait the trade and dont want to pay the stupid ratio of wholesaler, it is better to keep some. And remember when upgrade from basic to advanced to super, the goods increases significantly.
Basic to basic, advanced to advanced, superi to super, the goods production doesn’t change too much, especially it is non-boosted!

Pauly7

Magus
It is better to keep all manufacturers. But some non-boosted, not too many! Most manufacturers should be boosted. Because if you need some other goods, but you dont want wait the trade and dont want to pay the stupid ratio of wholesaler, it is better to keep some. And remember when upgrade from basic to advanced to super, the goods increases significantly.
Basic to basic, advanced to advanced, superi to super, the goods production doesn’t change too much, especially it is non-boosted!
I think it's generally regarded as not better. The amount of goods produced in a non-boosted manufactory is so tiny that it isn't worth the space in your city.