• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Summer Mermaids

• Thread starter DeletedUser3097
  • Start date

Lelanya

Mentor
If it was never the intention for Phoenixes to be offered again, do we know for sure whether the effect of multiple Fire Phoenixes stack?
Pauly this guy is in your realm you ought to write and ask. I'll tag you in my other post too

I often try to find the silver lining in these things (in fact right now a part of me is whispering: portal profits Lel!). But really, seriously, I am done! I am all done waiting and holding building upgrades or tech research just because I might need it in an event. I'm done with holding space for wee buildings.

I am sick and tired of being treated like a child by these developers. I do not need to be amused. I could be waging a war on Arvahall with my guildies but I chose this game instead. And now I'm wondering why. Don't worry guys, I love my Iceni, always will, but this is piped.

Enjoy your event, but do it without me

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 1759805

If it was never the intention for Phoenixes to be offered again, do we know for sure whether the effect of multiple Fire Phoenixes stack?
I am pretty sure damage does stack up. It does with all the other damage boosters - same building type or different building types.

DeletedUser6357

Oh yeah there is a player on EN1 with 2 Fire Phoenix; rank 4 I believe. Player also has all 3 Phoenix pets placed. It's clearly a diamond city (We're not allowed to identify other players so far as I know) @Viskyar
You can send me the name of the player by personal message in the game.

DeletedUser3097

Please make sure that all further posts are on topic: Summer Mermaids.

Deleted User - 1759805

True, but with those it's intentional that people should own multiples.
How do you think additional buildings appear in the grand prize chain? Someone added them there for a reason ;)

DeletedUser6338

Personal event feedback:

I definitely had more frustration with this event then any past, but also have a couple of things that I like. I am not going to get near as far in this event as I have in any past and this is partly due to the new format and partly due to tech/computer issues I am having, so I am taking that into account in my frustration level also.

Positive aspects: I DO like the unending quests. This allows those that want to keep going to do so and those that get what they want out of it to stop whenever they want. Since some like the 'finish line' aspect, it wouldn't be hard to do both (for example: make a 'set' quest line up to a certain point.... 'finish line'..... then random quests after that point... similar to the FA's where the 'pit' is available after the main paths are completed, regardless of how many paths each team decides to do. Pit is optional, even after main FA map is finished).

Negative aspects:
* I also play in several worlds and I have both 2x1 and 2x2 tier 1 boosted. I DO... let me say again, DO find this element simply unfair. When starting to play, we have no choice in what our boosted goods are, so to make them various sizes AND THEN use them in these events is not fair to players. I do live by the 'life is not fair' motto, but this is not life and is supposed to be an enjoyable game that people play to relax and have fun. Requiring different people to have either twice the advantage or twice the disadvantage based on what tier one boosted good they were assigned, isn't right. It is hard enough when starting the game and having twice as much space needed, it really isn't fair to use it in a game where some have 2x1 and others have 2x2 buildings.
* the randomization of quests would not be as big of an issue IF it wasn't for the fact that some of the more complicated quests randomly pop up almost back to back. There is no way to proceed short of using a lot of 'speed ups' if you get "have 2 combining catalyst" within a couple of quests of each other. Or other's that are similar in nature. It is understandable to have more of these type (2 buildings upgraded to level 16, 2 combining catalysts, 16 relics, etc...), but it isn't 'enjoyable' at all, and sometimes simply undoable when you are locked; when they come close together and repeatedly like i have been getting.

There would be some fairly easy fixes that might make the majority of people happier. Things like mentioned earlier regarding dividing the game up with quests like before where they are set for all players until a certain point. Then a random listing could take over for those that want to 'push on' and those that have gotten the prizes they wanted and the satisfaction of completion has been met.
Fixing the unequal elements of the 2x1 vs 2x2 tier 1 building REALLY needs to be addressed. It is simply not fair in any way to the people playing the game.
How about a little more option on the quests to help those that might be 'locked' because of where they are in the game. That is already available on a few quests, so it shouldn't be hard to do to more quests. This way, if a quest even DOES repeat itself unluckily to often or to close to the last time, the player has the choice of choosing the other option. This would also the continuation for those that are locked up on their research tree, have NO BUILDINGS upgradable, have nothing left to scout, etc... There will likely still be some that get 'stuck', but this would open up progress to a LOT of people and make things more enjoyable again.

If this were a job or just some element of life, we could just say we have to accept what life throws at us; but since we are all people that have specifically selected this game and are playing it to have fun, relax, make friends, etc... there is no need to make it harder and even at all stressful. There just isn't a reason for it to be that way when it is an element of recreation.

Athewyn

Seeker
I was thinking about how much I enjoyed the new FA format, so many people logged in to play the FA the servers could barely manage. This was a serious win for inno.

Why not use the new FA system for the major event? Instead of having the bingo type board of badges you have a board of random quests, each time you complete one it gets replaced with another random quests. Quests could be grouped in tiers with some worth more than others, eg make 15 beverages would be worth less than complete a province. Everyone could play, as much or as little as they like. People could develop interesting strategies - lots of quick low scoring quests or fewer longer high scoring ones. Inno could also put in place a refresh system - if you have a few vision vapour quests on your board and can't do them you can hit refresh, it takes 24-48 h for a new quests to pop up or you could spend diamonds and have instant refresh. Covers revenue for inno and enjoyment/satisfaction for the players. It would remove the story line element but inno have not included that in this current event any way. Keep the chest system the same, with the different daily prizes so people can decide what they want to spend their event currency on.

It would mean quests don't progressively increase in rewards, but you could plan for your board at least in the short term, there would be no list everyone would be different. Endless quests to keep everyone online for the whole event. Caters for all playing styles and levels. It would be a big change from the current format and is just a general musing from me :oops:

DeletedUser6919

Like that the quests are endless, but not being able to prepare makes it impossible to progress. Also finding this time I’m getting none of the daily buildings despite building up corals (previous events the buildings were sufficiently won to believe the % chance was accurate, now I feel there’s no point trying as you’ll never win a building).

DeletedUser4149

How about a little more option on the quests to help those that might be 'locked' because of where they are in the game. That is already available on a few quests, so it shouldn't be hard to do to more quests. This way, if a quest even DOES repeat itself unluckily to often or to close to the last time, the player has the choice of choosing the other option. This would also the continuation for those that are locked up on their research tree, have NO BUILDINGS upgradable, have nothing left to scout, etc... There will likely still be some that get 'stuck', but this would open up progress to a LOT of people and make things more enjoyable again.
yes, i think the dead ends are frustrating people the most.
more options would be better, like-
pay a fee, possibly in coral?
maybe a maximum time limit to be stuck and then given the option to skip that quest. this could be done by collecting the coral that falls hourly.
even just better choices in general. there are too many research tech quests, complete 2 provinces, upgrade to very high level, and gain 8500 vision vapor. i'm not liking being somewhat "forced" to craft junkier stuff than i normally would.

DeletedUser2838

Having seen the quests on Beta (and the Gems site) I can tell you that the random quests can be VERY hard for late/last chapter players.
  1. Scouting takes multiple days and if you cannot plan for when to scout you can be waiting a long time. Unless you use time boosts. I guess that is what you want us to do, use them up so we can get more as daily prizes.
  2. Research quests are impossible if you have finished the last chapter.
  3. Upgrade to level 14 or 16+ quests can be very difficult if you have upgraded everything already while you wait for a new chapter.
At least with the predictable quest sequence you could plan for these quests and get things set in advance.
I hope that random quests don't become the way of the future. If they do I will be sitting out most events. But I am sure that they will be popular with the diamond players who will be able to spend cash to win absolutely everything.

Having just had "Research one technology OR upgrade 2 buildings to 14+" three times in quick succession because of the random nature of tasks, now I have reached the end of my ability to do any more, and so much more of the quest to go so I'm bound to get some more of these tasks. I've run out of big buildings to upgrade and can't fill the research tree with KP fast enough to activate them.
Not too keen on this random task effort

DeletedUser3671

do you replace willow with the cliffs?(if you don't have a culture problem)

It depends on your chapter. Remember that the clams are 24 hour collections. Also the Manta Ray, which in higher chapters give a good deal more mana. In my S&D city, it's of no use since my Burning Pool Phoenixes gives more. But in my Constructs i can go from 6 Burning Pools to 4 Manta Rays and even gain a good deal of mana extra :)

EDIT; Addition, The Burning Pools in my Constructs are from Elementals, but they are still not as good even when upgraded. And the upgrade takes too many RR's.

alsael

Enchanter
It depends on your chapter. Remember that the clams are 24 hour collections. Also the Manta Ray, which in higher chapters give a good deal more mana. In my S&D city, it's of no use since my Burning Pool Phoenixes gives more. But in my Constructs i can go from 6 Burning Pools to 4 Manta Rays and even gain a good deal of mana extra :)

EDIT; Addition, The Burning Pools in my Constructs are from Elementals, but they are still not as good even when upgraded. And the upgrade takes too many RR's.
Well,if you are in late Woodelves chapter,will you replace your willows?

pobble

Spellcaster
Really interested in Athewyn's suggestion for a game board event!

For the Mermaids ... started out really keen, and the endless quest system is a good idea. Although usually I only manage to finish the quest string in the last couple of days of an event, I do make a big effort to collect the sets and main prize buildings. I love my carnival set, and the snowy owls trio, and my stonehenge and my phoenix. I still have the full woodelvenstock set, and the full original phoenix cult set.

I have just entered Constructs so had some space for little buildings in spaces from the Amuni, and I now have loads of tiny buildings with long builds ready to collect for event quests - almost none of which I have needed. I had to work hard to open the chest to start constructs as I was a bit under-scouted, so I had been finishing lots of provinces. The event RNG hasn't worked well for me as I am now staring at "complete two provinces" for the fourth time, and this time I don't think I will.

So I think the idea is a good one, it is just very difficult to counter the feeling of disappointment when the quest string beats you halfway through the event. I suspect it is partly this disappointment of incompleteness that is frustrating some people.
Instead of a sense of triumphal "Hooray, Done it! I've finished!" it is more of a "Bah, got stuck!" sort of feeling. Not really sure how we can counter that in a random quests system ....

DeletedUser3671

Well,if you are in late Woodelves chapter,will you replace your willows?

Well, it depends on how you feel about culture. Willows gives a speciffic amount of 3500, where Clams(113/sq) gives double the culture vs Manta Ray(57/sq) Woodelves chapter, but Clams only gives 2900 mana and Manta Ray 5400. Again Woodelves numbers.

I switched when i got the Burning Pool Phoenixes. They in S&D gives 3600/12 hours. Which gives 7200/24 hours. So in Woodelves, they give a little less

So the question is, how do you feel about culture - and do you need the mana production ?

I don't care that much about culture. It boost coins from residences and supplies from workshops. And when winning the Crab Hotel tomorrow, you can kill of some residences and place them instead. You will get more pop out that, and you will also get more culture, since residences takes up culture. But Crab Hotel gives you 2600 pop, and your residences only gives 1230 in Woodelves. (In S&D they give 1820 at level 25.) They also give 2200 in culture :) Selling residences gives 475 culture back each. So in this switch by using more of the daily prizes you can get back culture, get more mana, and get more pop :) Absolutely Win-Win-Win :)

But i all depends on your play style.

For me it's the math. It just pays more in every way and i can get a design that looks different than every other city just packed with residences, workshops and factories + some other mana/cult buildings :)

EDIT: Discovered that i had used numbers from S&D ;-) So it has been changed now, but still very good :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3671

Really interested in Athewyn's suggestion for a game board event!

For the Mermaids ... started out really keen, and the endless quest system is a good idea. Although usually I only manage to finish the quest string in the last couple of days of an event, I do make a big effort to collect the sets and main prize buildings. I love my carnival set, and the snowy owls trio, and my stonehenge and my phoenix. I still have the full woodelvenstock set, and the full original phoenix cult set.

I have just entered Constructs so had some space for little buildings in spaces from the Amuni, and I now have loads of tiny buildings with long builds ready to collect for event quests - almost none of which I have needed. I had to work hard to open the chest to start constructs as I was a bit under-scouted, so I had been finishing lots of provinces. The event RNG hasn't worked well for me as I am now staring at "complete two provinces" for the fourth time, and this time I don't think I will.

So I think the idea is a good one, it is just very difficult to counter the feeling of disappointment when the quest string beats you halfway through the event. I suspect it is partly this disappointment of incompleteness that is frustrating some people.
Instead of a sense of triumphal "Hooray, Done it! I've finished!" it is more of a "Bah, got stuck!" sort of feeling. Not really sure how we can counter that in a random quests system ....

Yes, it's a VERY good idea :)

They of course need to reprogram the whole system like with the FA. But it would be the best solution of them all. Then everyone can plays as they like and do as many corals as they can from their play style :)

DeletedUser3671

I was thinking about how much I enjoyed the new FA format, so many people logged in to play the FA the servers could barely manage. This was a serious win for inno.

Why not use the new FA system for the major event? Instead of having the bingo type board of badges you have a board of random quests, each time you complete one it gets replaced with another random quests. Quests could be grouped in tiers with some worth more than others, eg make 15 beverages would be worth less than complete a province. Everyone could play, as much or as little as they like. People could develop interesting strategies - lots of quick low scoring quests or fewer longer high scoring ones. Inno could also put in place a refresh system - if you have a few vision vapour quests on your board and can't do them you can hit refresh, it takes 24-48 h for a new quests to pop up or you could spend diamonds and have instant refresh. Covers revenue for inno and enjoyment/satisfaction for the players. It would remove the story line element but inno have not included that in this current event any way. Keep the chest system the same, with the different daily prizes so people can decide what they want to spend their event currency on.

It would mean quests don't progressively increase in rewards, but you could plan for your board at least in the short term, there would be no list everyone would be different. Endless quests to keep everyone online for the whole event. Caters for all playing styles and levels. It would be a big change from the current format and is just a general musing from me :oops:

I love your idea, it's VERY good :)