• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Summer Mermaids

• Thread starter DeletedUser3097
  • Start date

Sir Derf

Adept
So, explain how a player s forced to do the event, and how it is not an optional choice? Not that they are invited or enticed, but forced.
There doesn’t seem to be anyone claiming that we are forced to play the event, Sir Derf.

Really? How about the person that I was replying to, who was reacting to my earlier comments...

One or two of the comments made by those arguing for the current event seem to be a bit bizarre, at least to my way of thinking, such as the one that said words to the effect that none of us are forced to do the event.

If my "...words to the effect that none of us are forced to do the event" are "...a bit bizarre...", then here is someone claiming that we, or at least some, are forced to do the event.

m4rt1n

Adept
@Sir Derf the event is in your face, entire city has the background, and like in the past with the phoenix, you may miss something that may never return.
Not my thoughts, but the feeling INNO is now pushing.
Miss out and you will be at a disadvantage in the game forever approach seems the way things are going.

I play the game for relaxation and loving to plan for several years now. Looks like I need to find an alternative relaxed plan ahead game now sadly. :(

Sir Derf

Adept
The event is in your face - not a force
Entire city has the background - Not a force
May miss something that may never return - Not. A. Force.

Give you free corals to start. More corals if you successfully get the e-mail. Drop corals for free all over your city.

Tease. Entice. Beguile. Flaunt. Tempt.
Like. Wish. Want. Desire. FOMO.

Say it with me now... NOT A FORCE.

Game progress does not require possessing any of the evolving buildings. Or any of the time-limited special production buildings. Or the Daily Prizes. Or the other chest prizes, be they coin rains, or time boosts, or Portal Profits, or Knowledge Points, or whatever.

I agree that Inno wants you to participate in events.
I agree that there are many things a player can get from participating in events. Things that would be/could be/are useful. Things you might like. Things you might want. Maybe even things you think you deserve. Things you feel cheated out of if you don't get them. But none of them are necessary. None of them are required.

And you are not forced to participate.

Athewyn

Seeker
I keep a general eye on the forum but rarely post, even more rarely share my opinion. But I found the Senior Game Moderators contributions to this discussion inappropriate.

I do not get full opportunity to play Events because I have to spend a fair amount of time answering people who are wondering why their Bread does not count as Simple Tools, but I do my best.

I just had that exact quest, it has a big picture of bread and then in small writing above the slide scale it says produce 7 simple tools. This was easy enough to see on the pc version but difficult to see on the app version. As I read various source I know that there are a number of mistakes in the quests, such as having a picture of bread when they want simple tools, or the writing asking for 4 x toolboxes when the slide scale requires 7. I know to look out for these inno typos but a lot of new and less well read players do not, so they get confused and turn to you, Rilian, for help. To mock them in a forum post is unfair and unprofessional.

It should also be pointed out that all of these typos were pointed out on the Beta forum but inno took no notice and did not correct them before starting the event on the live servers.

Some of you need to think about the image you project in these pages.

For a person that has Elvenar Team Member all over their post, they present a face for the game and for inno (even if they have no actual influence over the developers). I read this as a threat, I hope this is not how it was intended. Discussion and criticism are not negative, they show an active player group who are committed to the game and want it to be better. I hope the players remain vocal about areas of this game that need improving.

@Dizzy Lizzie as the forum moderator I sincerely hope you do a better job of evaluating the posts in this thread. It should be the number of people for and against, not the number of posts. In this regard you can put me in the against pile, I have not enjoyed the event. It is manifestly unfair for some players to get certain quests multiple times and others not at all. I have no problem with the random nature, it does slow everyone down and keep them playing the event for longer, so from that point of view inno have succeeded. But, when you get the same difficult quest multiple times in a short time it is frustrating and not enjoyable at all. People are rage quitting the event, this is surely not what inno intended. Perhaps the random quest generator needs to incorporate limits such as per 50 quests the maximum number of 'complete provinces' quests cannot exceed 2 or something of the like (such limits could also be chapter defined, to take into account what counts as difficult for people at different stages of the game).

DeletedUser4149

keep in mind that nobody is very used to an event like this one. not only did most of the players not have a good chance to get used to it yet to see if they really like it or not, but this is just the 1st version of it that the game makers have made too.

it's very possible that they can improve it and maybe reduce some of the speed bumps and dead ends that are frustrating some people. maybe, like most things in life, those people will get better at this the more they do it and learn how to avoid those speed bumps and dead ends.

Lelanya

Mentor
Well put @Athewyn I too thought those remarks made it plain that apparently only positive feedback was requested. Perhaps we're just reading those wrong, tho?
I will admit that some posters seem to be engaged in a debate with each other tho.
I have to say, I too am finding that on top of the tedious pace of some the late game chapters, this event is not helping me feel engaged in those cities.

DeletedUser5381

@Vindaria so far for the other events with evolving buildings, after you get to 9 artifacts the next prize is another of the event buildings, then all the artifacts cycle again (alternating with the other prizes).

I'm not so certain of this Crowella, I have a Fire Phoenix upgraded to level 10, disenchanted the other eggs after the phoenix event. I still got Phoenix artifacts with the adventure last month.

DeletedUser5381

I hope that random quests don't become the way of the future. If they do I will be sitting out most events. But I am sure that they will be popular with the diamond players who will be able to spend cash to win absolutely everything.

With past events I have been helping my teams by spending the time to copy out a list of the sequence of tasks so that they could have 3-4 tasks on the go when they leave the house for whatever reason. With a random sequence, I have found this removes the ability for team leaders to help the newest players to the game. If we copy out the list issued on Gems of Knowledge, this would only confuse the issue due to unpredictability.
The more advanced cities tend to finish the event way ahead of time, so making the tasks appear randomly would slow them down. This would slow down the beginners even more. Since the grand prize rewards don't benefit the large cities much, you should want the beginners to get farther.

DeletedUser4149

i think that some people are more frustrated by the nearly unsolvable quests more than random ones.

i also think this new event format is something that should be improved and not discarded because of those that are unhappy that they can't finish their whole quest list in 4 days or didn't leave themselves a way to complete quests that we've been given in just about every previous event or that aren't happy because they couldn't expertly do something new that they haven't done before.

everyone expects to over achieve because quest lists were too easy before. it was too easy to over achieve in something that wasn't much of a challenge in the 1st place. now w/ unlimited prizes and more challenging quests we actually have a way to get more prizes that can benefit our cities more than other cities that can't do as much. the over achievers can get their fair rewards for doing more than other cities instead of having almost everyone get an equal amount of prizes for all finishing the same # of quests.
events and this game ARE MORE COMPETITIVE NOW. i think that's a good thing:)

DeletedUser8921

I'm not so certain of this Crowella, I have a Fire Phoenix upgraded to level 10, disenchanted the other eggs after the phoenix event. I still got Phoenix artifacts with the adventure last month.

Artifacts received later doesn't have anything to do with the format of the event that awards the evolving building(s) in the first place. We have seen so far that the format for those events is that once you have won enough artifacts as grand prizes while the original event is in progress to fully evolve the building, the next grand prize is another copy of the evolving building(s). That is why some people have more than one of each type of phoenix. (e.g., two fire phoenixes)

Pauly7

Magus
Does anyone think it's weird that the corals which have washed up on my shore seem to have now taken root and are growing in my woods?

DeletedUser8632

And you are not forced to participate.

Mate, that sounds awfully like "If you don't like it here, go somewhere else". There is so much wrong with this.
Players WANT to play the game and I daresay they WANT to play events. As stated before, they are forced to sit on the sideline for something they would love to do because the new format is giving them more stress than warranted.

And I give you one more thing to think about: Senior Players and Inno clearly expect people to play events. Want to do well in tournaments? Oh well, better have a Fire Phoenix and those nifty time boosters because otherwise, forget it. Want to go through a guest race without heartbreak? Use those great portal profits. Out of supplies or gold? Oh, just go ahead and use those instants. Running out of space, culture and population? Good thing we have these great pop/culture buildings.
Where do we get these things from: I let you guess three times.

Do you think you would have done so well in this event without the goodies from the last one? Do you see where this is going?

OldHag

Necromancer
keep in mind that a lot of players, especially older ones, don't like learning something new

I strongly disagree with this statement. ;)

I'm enjoying the new format, I'm not stuck at 51 corals but that is where I'm up too, with plenty of time still left in the event. I've got 8 temp buildings, that's all I have room for at the moment, so I'm plodding along, doing the quests as they come up and with the help of elvengems I've been able to prepare a little for a few of them.
I neither care nor expect to get a fully evolved grand prize, but I would like the oppurtunity at some point to be able to get a Stonehenge artefact to get that to level 10,
Half baked grand prizes are really not that grand.

Timneh

Artisan
Ok I have played enough on PC after app only to be so stressed with this concept that I am very close to finding another game to play and QUIT this one entirely.

If you find another game let me know what it is because i am about ready to leave too.

The sad thing is that although we are always asked for feedback about things the devs don't seem to listen, they just carry on doing what they want to do regardless of what players say. There have been very few things that have introduced then changed due to player feedback (at least in the time i have been playing). I suspect this could be another case of the devs saying this is how we want the events to be now so that is how they are going to be.

DeletedUser8632

Half baked grand prizes are really not that grand.

Oh my, yes, this too. My frustration with the new format made me completely forget my frustration with the Grand Prize's "Meh factor" :D

I will however admit that I may be utterly spoiled from the Carnival Set and the Phoenix. I have no experience with earlier Grand Prizes, from what I heard there were some duds as well. I also tend to see the events as an opportunity to collect essential game resources.

Obligatory positive feedback: Many of the beach themed buildings are almost as pretty as the Orc Mushroom farms.

DeletedUser3097

Thank you for your feedback about the new Quest format so far. Please make sure that this thread stays on track; it is essential that Forum users respect the viewpoints of others. If you are unsure whether something you are about to post is within the Forum Rules, please check first.

Thanks everyone!

DeletedUser5976

Many of the beach themed buildings are almost as pretty as the Orc Mushroom farms.
Well I liked the mushroom farms, the rally points not so much, but mushroom farms especially at lvl 4 were fine by me.

I've been skimming through this thread as it has become rather large to read everything or perhaps I'm being lazy.

I am doing well in the event, I had a lot of space after finishing S&D and FA and didn't start building much of Halflings. So I have all kinds of temp buildings with different productions waiting to be picked up. I also had enough space to build 2 armories to lvl 13 to use for the upgrade buildings quest (1 of which I am going to keep anyway, so it doesn't feel that futile). I've been picking up nice dailies maybe not as many of some as I like, but plenty from others and I love the time instants in several chests.

Having said that one thing I noticed is a slight detachment from the event, I don't know what will come next and everything I could do up ahead has been done, there is no checking the list to see which quests are coming next and preparing for that.

Also this has been said by many and perhaps by me also somewhere else, I feel for players who have the 2*2 manufactories and need twice as much space as I do for the goods required by the event. This is not FAIR. And fairness is really important in dealings of people with each other even in games. Please make it fair in future events.

Sir Derf

Adept
Mate, that sounds awfully like "If you don't like it here, go somewhere else". There is so much wrong with this.
Players WANT to play the game and I daresay they WANT to play events. As stated before, they are forced to sit on the sideline for something they would love to do because the new format is giving them more stress than warranted.

And I give you one more thing to think about: Senior Players and Inno clearly expect people to play events. Want to do well in tournaments? Oh well, better have a Fire Phoenix and those nifty time boosters because otherwise, forget it. Want to go through a guest race without heartbreak? Use those great portal profits. Out of supplies or gold? Oh, just go ahead and use those instants. Running out of space, culture and population? Good thing we have these great pop/culture buildings.
Where do we get these things from: I let you guess three times.

Do you think you would have done so well in this event without the goodies from the last one? Do you see where this is going?

The current main argument - forced vs. optional.

I don't even have to highlight your word choice, you capped it yourself. "WANT".
Sprinkle in an "expect" and a "better have".

And for what goals? To play events. "do well" in tournaments. Avoid heartbreak. To move faster, to get more/better resources.

None of this is necessary. Game progress can be made without any and all of the above.

As for the stress, I'm not sure of how to address this in a text form without the possibility of it sounding impolite. Different people have different perceptions and different tolerances. Different sources of pleasure from games. Different personal goals and expectations. I understand that. I accept that. I'm only dissecting the game mechanics that effect people universally, and trying to separate the personal and subjective rules and limitations from the fixed and objective game structures.

Lastly, the introspective questions. Would I have done so well? No. But, do I need to do so well? Again, no. And that's "need", as in I would be stuck without hope of advancement in game progress without.

Would it be slower to progress without; yes. Would there be points where I am bottlenecked longer, waiting to gather enough kp for research, or gather enough resources for upgrades, or have enough pop or culture, or have enough space; yes.

I felt the oppression of space early on, and "overscouted" because the game allowed me, and I wanted the benefit of more space.
In one past event, I stocked up on the largest Daily to use as Crafting fuel, in another on Phoenix Cults, for improved pop/culture, and in another on Mana Huts for, well, Mana.
I have a huge stockpile of instants from past events, mainly because my lizard brain appears to value having them over using them, such that I either forget I can use them, or think I should hold them for some later, more important use.

But I also understand that all the above are luxuries; I could play the game without them. It would be slower, but it would not be impossible.

As always, don't tase me, bros. :cool: