• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

We Need Messaging in the Mobile App Please

DeletedUser3466

There are literally hundreds of threads all asking the same thing: Why is messaging still not on the mobile app?

Of all the updates on the app, the one most appreciated was the chat feature, why? Because a fellowship requires communication, and messaging is just the next logical step. There is no point in giving mobile players the ability to participate in events if they have no way of organising and coordinating with the rest of the fellowship. They might as well not be part of it?

I implore you, beg you, plead with you, that messaging move higher up the priority chain. Pretty graphics are great, chat fills a small niche, but for a fellowship to truly blossom we NEED messaging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonton-des-bois

Illusionist
+1

DeletedUser7653

Thank you for moving this thread back from the Archive.

Because cooperative team play is probably of paramount importance in this game, FS members, who can only play via a mobile device, are missing out on a vital part of the game by being denied access to this, most effective, method of communicating with the Fellowship.

During the recent Fellowship Adventure my Fellowship could have performed a lot better if we had had a better way of coordinating our efforts. Because we could only use chat, I think we missed out on a lot if the interaction that could have allowed us to make better progress.

There must be a way that the message system can be simply and easily implemented for the mobile device user.

DeletedUser342

Still nothing on this?
Not very good to simply ignore players is it?
PLEASE,
WE NEED MESSAGING ON THE MOBILE APP.
AND PLEASE, WHILE YOU ARE AT IT,
WE ALSO NEED THE ABILITY TO DROP KP'S ONTO OTHER PLAYERS ANCIENT WONDERS TOO.

Last edited by a moderator:

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
This thread is 11 months old, and still the app is missing fundamental features. Messaging is the most important one. The ability to donate to other players wonders is next. Without these two features, app-only players will remain second-class citizens. I'm puzzled that "improving" o_O the battle interface obviously has a higher priority than adding two vital features.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
This thread is 11 months old, and still the app is missing fundamental features. Messaging is the most important one. The ability to donate to other players wonders is next. Without these two features, app-only players will remain second-class citizens. I'm puzzled that "improving" o_O the battle interface obviously has a higher priority than adding two vital features.
Couldn't agree more. Now that more and more people are using the app it's a huge problem from a fellowship point of view not being able to communicate with them directly and simply hoping that they happen to notice you've left a message for them in the chat window. If there was simply a lack of resources available for development I might be able to understand it but the maddening thing is that there's a constant stream of changes and additions being made whilst absolutely fundamental functionality is seemingly ignored. :mad:

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I believe we were told by a mod or two that messaging would make the App too big for older phones or tablets. I think it was when the Spanish mod was here.
Even if that was the case, and I can't really comment whether it is or not, I don't see why they can't provide the messaging capability as an option which the user can decide to enable or not. Not having messaging or the ability to donate to AWs means that the app is never going to be something that can be used instead of the desktop version, at least for the majority of users.

Pauly7

Magus
I agree with the above. I do get the impression that there is a very good team dedicated to making app improvements and working solely on that environment. This explains why certain cool things come to the app, such as the 10x faster ability to start manufacturies. It also leads to the really annoying app only "improvements" such as the recent graphic upgrade that makes tournament fighting twice as slow.

The point I am coming to is if there is this capable team working on the app I am not sure why they haven't found a way to crack the problem of messaging. Even if not it would be nice if every once in a while they put their heads up and said "hey guys we are working on this, but we are having trouble because x". Because to all intents and purposes it looks like they've gone "forget that, let's play around with other stuff which is easier."

As an aside we also have a Discord chatroom @Lelanya. My problem is persuading people to log into the thing. Still, my first thought is that Discord does not replace messaging, but as I'm typing I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to do AW swap threads through Discord... Hmm, I guess I could set up a new channel for each different swap. Interesting. I haven't thought about this before.

m4rt1n

Adept
I agree with the above. I do get the impression that there is a very good team dedicated to making app improvements and working solely on that environment. This explains why certain cool things come to the app, such as the 10x faster ability to start manufacturies. It also leads to the really annoying app only "improvements" such as the recent graphic upgrade that makes tournament fighting twice as slow.

The point I am coming to is if there is this capable team working on the app I am not sure why they haven't found a way to crack the problem of messaging. Even if not it would be nice if every once in a while they put their heads up and said "hey guys we are working on this, but we are having trouble because x". Because to all intents and purposes it looks like they've gone "forget that, let's play around with other stuff which is easier."

As an aside we also have a Discord chatroom @Lelanya. My problem is persuading people to log into the thing. Still, my first thought is that Discord does not replace messaging, but as I'm typing I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to do AW swap threads through Discord... Hmm, I guess I could set up a new channel for each different swap. Interesting. I haven't thought about this before.

Then there is still the issue of not being able to donate kp on the app.

I like the idea of having messaging on the app with the option of an on/off button solving the problem of older phones though.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
I just cannot believe that the rudimentary messaging system that we have on PC could possibly bloat the app noticeably. I may be wrong though. But I'm absolutely sure that an additional full fledged external messaging tool is much harder on the device's resources.

And external tools can not replace internal messaging - for example it's not possible to communicate with a neighbor. Or apply to a fellowship.

I think that a messaging system is compulsory in a multi player game that relies on interaction of the players, thus I'm not a fan of making this optional. Rather make the animations optional.