• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Early game process becoming tedious

DeletedUser

I don't know if I am doing something wrong here but the early game progress is getting awfully tedious. I am working on the last column of Chapter 1 and I have nothing else to do but literally wait for KP to accumulate. I have upgraded (almost) everything I can, no more room for new buildings and every province I can scout is "very hard". Buying KP has become forbiddingly expensive, so has negotiating in provinces. So now I just check in every 10 hours, collect my KPs, research a bit, collect my gold and supplies and thats it. Which is frankly not really enough to make this even somewhat entertaining :(

Am I missing something?

Cheers, f.

DeletedUser3571

well i check in every 3 hrs if i can, but apart from event and tournaments, then no that is about all. The game is all about patience, if you are after a fast pace game then this is probably not the game for you.

DeletedUser

No, I don't mind that, I am not looking for something with a frantic pace where you have to be around all the time. Its just.. there is literally nothing to do. I have a dozen settlements from other players around, more or less at the stage where I am and they are very clearly abandoned... and I am not surprised. This game seems to have a lot going for it later on (I read about Ancient Wonders, Portals etc.) but if it keeps being this tedious until then it will be difficult to stick around.

DeletedUser3571

In my opinion the later game is the same really, you have a bit more with the guest races and ancient wonders but the they have the still have the same doing nothing for long periods.

DeletedUser5976

I didn't start on a second world until I knew the game a little better. If I am learning still in both of the cities I will probably be making the same mistakes twice. At least that was my reasoning.

DeletedUser

I suggest if you have plenty of time on your hands to try and play more than one world. That way you can plan and fill the gaps in your play. :)

I did that, so I am now waiting in 2 worlds for my KP bar to refill... :) Oh well, I don't mean to complain, a lot of people seem to have fun with this game so maybe its just not for me. Thanks for all the replies.

Wowwie

Soothsayer
Unfortunately the game starts way to slow , a fellowship does help I have new members and even with our over abundance of help it still slow process

m4rt1n

Adept
Unfortunately the game starts way to slow , a fellowship does help I have new members and even with our over abundance of help it still slow process

I think that is intentional, if the game started fast then when slow I believe it would lose far more players.
This is a game of patience, a slow chess game so for quite a niche market and the best quality and supported slow city builder I have played so far. :)

DeletedUser5093

I honestly found the early part of the game very tedious and slow as well. I nearly quit a few times, it was that bad. I just felt like my city was being strangled, there were too many limitations, and there was nothing to do. Running out of things to do after a mere 5 minutes per day does make it boring. It did get better once I got into the higher chapters, but it took a while to get that far, and I can see how that would result in a lot of players leaving the game permanently. I don't have a solution to suggest, just wanted to let you know you are far from alone in your sentiments.

Pauly7

Magus
Are you a member of a fellowship?

The game has more like the weekly tournaments and adventures if you are. :)
This.

Also, when in a fellowship you have a community of 25 people helping each other, chatting, advising. For me the longevity of the game is based on the community.

If you are logging in once every 10 hours then you are not getting the fullest out of it in this way. It's also not very efficient because you must be setting up 9 hour or longer productions.

I think that the only difference with "early game" is that it's at a point where people are not yet understanding what it is to play Elvenar. I remember having a frantic first few hours, or couple of days even, when you first start the game and it throws a lot of stuff at you and you're building all the time.... but then I also remember getting into your sort of mindset a little while after that. Later than this I started to realise how the game works and I was logging in to talk to fellows, play tournament rounds, attend to events, collect productions.

The game isn't very often about building.

DeletedUser8445

The thing about Elvenar is that the playing can go slowly at times, it doesn't matter how big your city is. But there is a lot more to Elvenar than just progressing your city through the research stages, and if you really throw yourself into it you always be busy and find things to keep up your interest.
I have found all of these to be useful:
- Number one, join an active fellowship, join in everything they do and learn as much as you can from players with bigger cities - they will give you hints to help you grow faster and the chat can be fun
- Start a second city as another race .... if you play as an elf, start a human city or vice versa.... follow different strategies with each city e.g. make one a strong fighter and one that does not fight at all
- Start a second city in beta.... quests start earlier in beta than other worlds, so there is usually something to keep you occupied in one of the worlds.
- Set up a fellowship-of-one so you can play tourneys for your boosted goods and collect relics to boost production
- Spend time on Elven Architect experimenting with different layouts

My city is almost at the end of fairies, and I recently started a new city..... progressing very fast and I am having a lot of fun designing it based on all the things I learned by trial and error.

DeletedUser

First of all, thank you for all the kind replies. I do take it to heart and I WANT to like this game. But to be honest, if the carnival hadn't started I would have quit today.

Yes, I am in a fellowship. Its not exactly riveting but I do at least have something to do once a day. The 5 minutes on the tournament make at least a good start into the day. Visiting fellowship members to help.. you have to be honest, that's not exactly relieving the tedium :) I have no idea what Adventures are, though.

Other than that? Well, my city is full. I am 104 KP away from being able to use a research expansion and getting expansions via provinces is beyond my capabilities. I am unable to win a single fight in a province that has 2 types of units (everything available to me is "hard"). I could of course negotiate my way through - which would leave me laughably short on resources for unlocking research or upgrading. Any improvement of my fighting capabilities is equally 100s of KP away.

So I am stuck here. 12 Residences (any less and I don't have the population to support my production). 10 Workshops. 8 Marble Factories. All upgraded somewhere between 3 and 5.

So what CAN I do? Set all production to 3 hours. Come back after 3 hours. Get my gold and produce. Rinse. Repeat. I'm having Farmville Flashbacks :)

At least I do have an event now. Although, looking at the quests required to finish the quest-line I can already see that I won't be able to finish it since it requires producing goods I can't produce and am still hundreds of KP away from unlocking, so not sure if I want to bother.

Yeah, I know, I'm whining too much.

DeletedUser5093

At least I do have an event now. Although, looking at the quests required to finish the quest-line I can already see that I won't be able to finish it since it requires producing goods I can't produce and am still hundreds of KP away from unlocking, so not sure if I want to bother.

One of the benefits of these larger events is that you don't need to complete all the quests to get good prizes. This is because there are lots of really decent prizes in the chests you open, so you'll pick up lots of useful things just from them even if you don't manage to complete lots of quests, or win any/many of the grand prizes. It's only the mini-events where it's a bit of an all-or-nothing effort to get something decent. My advice is just do what you can, and don't worry about how much of the quest line you'll manage to complete.

Also, if a quest says something like "gain X amount of [goods]" you are allowed to get that through trades. You don't have to produce it yourself. Just post a cross-tier trade then ask in your fellowship chat for someone to help you out, and you'll have that quest complete quickly and easily.

Hope this helps. :)

DeletedUser8565

Been playing for about 6 weeks, and have ground to a halt as well. Just cant get enough KP to research, havent come across any quests or tournaments? Getting boring. Suspect its because I refuse to buy diamonds.

DeletedUser5976

You need to be in a Fellowship to be able to play the tournaments. The event quests are for everyone and you should be able to see and do them.

DeletedUser3097

havent come across any quests

If you play on the browser, look on the left hand side of your screen- there are tabs which you click to see the quests. You should have one or two normal quests plus two event quests.

If you play on the app, click on the scroll on the left hand side to expand the quest menu.

Joining a Fellowship is definitely recommended, as other players can offer help with quests, advice and, most of all, friendship!

DeletedUser2838

First of all, thank you for all the kind replies. I do take it to heart and I WANT to like this game. But to be honest, if the carnival hadn't started I would have quit today.

Other than that? Well, my city is full. I am 104 KP away from being able to use a research expansion and getting expansions via provinces is beyond my capabilities. I am unable to win a single fight in a province that has 2 types of units (everything available to me is "hard"). I could of course negotiate my way through - which would leave me laughably short on resources for unlocking research or upgrading. Any improvement of my fighting capabilities is equally 100s of KP away.

If all your surrounding provinces are all "hard" you are advancing too fast for the game - you will be penalised by it being much more difficult to win by fighting, and much more costly to cater, so depleting your resources. You need to stop expanding until you reach the next chapter. As has been said elsewhere you can trade for goods in the quest, you don't have to produce them. If your next comment is that you have very few goods to trade, then my next question is are you developing only your boosted goods manufactories, or are you trying to develop all of them? And, lastly, you comment about being a long way from improving your fighting ability, is that because you are trying to reach a squad upgrade? Don't bother, squad upgrades make things worse not better. Eventually you will only activate squad upgrades when you are forced to, they are not things you want. If you want to fight rather than cater you need to be working gradually towards 4 or 5 or 6 armories and a barracks as upgraded as high as the chapter will allow.