• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The Tale of Gaelagil and Burukbrak continues

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
I have said from the start that the gain spell fragments quests were dumb. The only way to get them is by disenchanting things in inventory. Crafting has been here long enough now that most players will have disenchanted all the things that they no longer intended to use so how are they supposed to get the fragments? The reply from support mentioned above is IMO the dumbest answer to a support ticket that i have ever heard of.
how about you disenchant some enchantments? spell fragments arent building only you know.
Me personally i only disenchant a building when i need more fragements, even tho that means i have to many pages of obsolete buildings in my inventory.
I keep them because maybe someday inno will change the amount of fragments you get per disenchant, and i dont want be regretting i destoryed it all allready.
Knowing how oftten inno like to change things afterwards, i tought that was very plausable

Lelanya

Mentor
I also have the problem with the 900 Spellfragments quest in my newest City on EN3 Felyndral. And I already contacted the support. The answer I got was that I have to make the choice between keeping the instants I gained,( almost all from the quests I could complete until now) or disenchant almost all of them the get the 900 fragments.
I think its a bit unfair to cities in early chapters to force them into such a choice. As it stands now I will not complete the questline in this city, as I want to keep these instants.
I think the values of quests like Gain 900 spell fragments ought to be variable depending on the city's size

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
I think the values of quests like Gain 900 spell fragments ought to be variable depending on the city's size
why? enchantments and buildings all give the same amount of spell fragments for each chapter? its not harder for a chapter 1 account then for a chapter 14 account? the amount you get depends on size of building you disenchant or amount of relics needed. not on the chapter the building is in...

Sir Derf

Adept
Smaller cities have played less, so have had less opportunity to:

1a) scout provinces, thus gain relics, thus generate fewer enchantments
1b) have the time to generate a stockpile of enchantments
2) been involved in fewer activities, thus gain fewer instants
3) been involved in fewer activities, and thus have fewer buildings

All of which limits the inventory of items to disenchant to gain Spell Fragments

Timneh

Artisan
how about you disenchant some enchantments?

At 37 fragments per enchantment getting the 1200 fragments would require 33 enchantments. That is quite a lot of enchantments to have in the inventory, i'm sure some players might have that many but i'm also sure not all players have. Magical manufacturing are worth 75 fragments but that still means it would take 16 of them to get the 1200 fragments and IMO magical manufacturing are more useful used on manufactories.

m4rt1n

Adept
At 37 fragments per enchantment getting the 1200 fragments would require 33 enchantments. That is quite a lot of enchantments to have in the inventory, i'm sure some players might have that many but i'm also sure not all players have. Magical manufacturing are worth 75 fragments but that still means it would take 16 of them to get the 1200 fragments and IMO magical manufacturing are more useful used on manufactories.

A regular tournament player would have far more enchantments, but again that discriminates against those who chose not to play the tournament also.

There has to be a balance that can be found.
Myself I found those quests simple because I have hundreds of enchantments from the weekly tournaments, but not everyone does, especially newer small cities or those who choose not to play the weekly tournaments or do little especially beyond province 10 in the first round especially.

cwgiii

Shaman
I agree that smaller (newer) cities may not have the opportunity to have collected items that can be disenchanted. I agree that smaller (newer) cities may not have the opportunity to do many things in game. This is not necessarily a problem. Different cities at different points in game have different capabilities to concentrate on different goals. Different events are geared toward different levels of play and different interests. I distinctly remember my first event in game, when I realized that there was no way that I could possibly finish in totality. Then, I discovered some of the various "helper" sites like CrazyWizzard and GamersGemsOfKnowledge. That simply reinforced the fact that I could not possibly finish my second event, even with prior knowledge of the quest sequences. What I could, and did do, was to choose which events I could participate in, and choose how far to go within a particular event to achieve the particular goal that I was interested in at a particular time. Making choices along the way to conserve resources (goods, KP, space, etc,) for that "thing" that I really wanted next was important.

In my opinion, part of the appeal of the game is that it evolves as our cities grow. We cannot, and should not, be able to have everything, all at once, from the moment that we start the game. The game would be incredibly boring if this were the case. One of the main themes within the game, IMHO, is that choice is key. Choosing a particular race, starts the differences in play. Then, choice of play styles continues the theme (military strength, vs. passive negotiation). Other examples include: the choice of which Ancient Wonder(s) to pursue, when to pursue them, how to lay out your city, what to upgrade, in which order, etc. Each city is unique. Each player is unique. There are events for everyone out there, and the events continue to improve, over time. But, every event is not for everyone. "Choose wisely".

Maybe some smaller (newer) cities NEED to concentrate on other things rather than the next event. OR, maybe they NEED to focus on just a few quests within an event rather than feeling a requirement to complete the entire event. I know I have a sense of accomplishment when figuring points like this out.

Just a few thoughts of balance (because that is another theme that I see as key in game).

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept
I agree that smaller (newer) cities may not have the opportunity to have collected items that can be disenchanted. I agree that smaller (newer) cities may not have the opportunity to do many things in game. This is not necessarily a problem. Different cities at different points in game have different capabilities to concentrate on different goals. Different events are geared toward different levels of play and different interests. I distinctly remember my first event in game, when I realized that there was no way that I could possibly finish in totality. Then, I discovered some of the various "helper" sites like CrazyWizzard and GamersGemsOfKnowledge. That simply reinforced the fact that I could not possibly finish my second event, even with prior knowledge of the quest sequences. What I could, and did do, was to choose which events I could participate in, and choose how far to go within a particular event to achieve the particular goal that I was interested in at a particular time. Making choices along the way to conserve resources (goods, KP, space, etc,) for that "thing" that I really wanted next was important.

In my opinion, part of the appeal of the game is that it evolves as our cities grow. We cannot, and should not, be able to have everything, all at once, from the moment that we start the game. The game would be incredibly boring if this were the case. One of the main themes within the game, IMHO, is that choice is key. Choosing a particular race, starts the differences in play. Then, choice of play styles continues the theme (military strength, vs. passive negotiation). Other examples include: the choice of which Ancient Wonder(s) to pursue, when to pursue them, how to lay out your city, what to upgrade, in which order, etc. Each city is unique. Each player is unique. There are events for everyone out there, and the events continue to improve, over time. But, every event is not for everyone. "Choose wisely".

Maybe some smaller (newer) cities NEED to concentrate on other things rather than the next event. OR, maybe they NEED to focus on just a few quests within an event rather than feeling a requirement to complete the entire event. I know I have a sense of accomplishment when figuring points this out.

Just a few thoughts of balance (because that is another theme that I see as key in game).

I could not agree more with your comments, especially with the highlighted text. :)

Last edited:

Deleted User - 341074

A regular tournament player would have far more enchantments, but again that discriminates against those who chose not to play the tournament also.
That's not a thing.
The tournament is a part of the game that is available to everyone.
If doing it gives you things In the game, that is in no way discriminating against anyone.

DeletedUser7533

OK, so these special events, like The Tale of Gaeligil and Burukbak are just garbage designed to make you use up resources. After rattling off 13 quick missions, I found myself suddenly bogged down in missions requiring 18 hours, 24 hours,etc., at a time - making the event unwinnable. Nice prize, but not going to ever happen.

If you can't just stop rewarding players, I guess the next step is to eat up the rewards on futile efforts...

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
Nice prize

Absolutely!

With the rest I disagree wholeheartedly. Quests 21 and 24 "Gain 300 Spell Fragments" and "Gain 900 Spell Fragments" require you to convert spells/enchantments or buildings to Spell Fragments. Depending on what you have to disenchant, and whether you need Spell Fragments, this may be seen as using up resources. For the other quests, I think this is not a valid point.

After rattling off 13 quick missions, I found myself suddenly bogged down in missions requiring 18 hours, 24 hours,etc., at a time

The event runs 10 days, do you really want to complete it in a few hours?

I love these events, I enjoyed this one too, and I'm looking forward to get the homestead building. My advice to new players is to try the events. It's fun and the rewards are great. Do not let the occasional rant on the forum scare you off. If you do not succeed the first time, you'll succeed next time, when you're bigger and more experienced.

Last edited:

FieryArien

Necromancer
Overall I liked the event. I was forced to build Magic Academy in my second city to be able to finish the event, but I don’t regret the decision.

What bothers me are the “gain spell fragments” quests.
- I started playing last year right before (or even during?) the Valentine event and thanks to the list of quests on GamersGemsOfKnowledge website I was able to finish it - on the last day and with great great effort. I’m sure the feeling of achievement helped in getting me hooked. ;-) The building itself, with (probably) Chapter II stats, didn’t last me long, but I loved it!
- However, if I was starting this year, with this event, I would probably fail. Maybe I would be able to gain all those fragments, but the price would be cruel. Also it doesn’t help that young cities don’t have upgraded Magic Academy. Maybe some scaling by chapter would help? I mean just for small cities, the big ones would be capped (for example Dwarves or Amuni - same value). Or some alternative to pass the quest ...

Lelanya

Mentor
Overall I liked the event. I was forced to build Magic Academy in my second city to be able to finish the event, but I don’t regret the decision.

What bothers me are the “gain spell fragments” quests.
- I started playing last year right before (or even during?) the Valentine event and thanks to the list of quests on GamersGemsOfKnowledge website I was able to finish it - on the last day and with great great effort.
fragments, but the price would be cruel. Also it doesn’t help that young cities don’t have upgraded Magic Academy. Maybe some scaling by chapter would help? I mean just for small cities, the big ones would be capped (for example Dwarves or Amuni - same value). Or some alternative to pass the quest ...
Yup I said that above and completely agree. This is a mini event, all should be able to finish.
@Killiak I have found no way to disenchant rune shards because my chapter 3 city surely could do without the Sunset Tower rune from tourney this past week.

Killiak

Artisan
@Killiak I have found no way to disenchant rune shards because my chapter 3 city surely could do without the Sunset Tower rune from tourney this past week.

@Scruffyhippo Find some people with AW close to the finish. KP instants give a lot when disenchanted.

Indeed, you can't disenchant Rune Shards.
KP instants, however, are a dime a dozen if you spend a little time on it. Therefor, all actually are able to finish.

If people do not want to spend time on it, that's their call.

DeletedUser7533

The event runs 10 days, do you really want to complete it in a few hours?

Not a t all, but to build hope of success, so that you waste resources, only to crush it with unreasonable requirements is the act of a greedy marketing department, not that of a game developer.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
@Raeat I sense your anger and frustration, so I looked you up. I found you on Felyndral with a chapter 4 city. Your main problem, as it appears to me, is the lack of space in your city to put in additional workshops and marble manus.

Most of your culture does not need a road connection. Rearranging your city can save you more than 30 street tiles. I reckon that with 30 empty tiles to put level 1 buildings you would have managed the event easily. A great tool to plan and rearrange your city is https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner. You can import your city with https://www.elvenstats.com.

Believe me, the event is doable for almost every player - the requirements are not that unreasonable (although I dislike some of them).

DeletedUser7533

You're right, I don't believe you.

Actually, I am merely annoyed (and providing a PSA). Unfortunately, my language use (by today's milquetoast standards) conveys more wrath than it should. :D

That said, I am no bard.

That said, I am doing my planning by playing the toy (not really a game, now is it?). I am not a botter (those persons universally reviled by just about everyone in gaming). If I wanted a bot playing the role I should be, I'd "play" ProgressQuest - and it would instantaneously become uninteresting to me.

I will consider your conclusion that I have made an inefficient use of my "roads," but I will not let a bot play Elvenar for me.

DeletedUser7805

Using a tool to map a possible city plan in no way meets any understanding I have of a bot.

You're right, I don't believe you.

I will consider your conclusion that I have made an inefficient use of my "roads," but I will not let a bot play Elvenar for me.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
@Raeat I cannot understand how you come to the conclusion that elvenarchitect or elvenstats are bots - and honestly, I do not want to know. We have different opinions here.

On topic: This event was not that different from earlier mini events. The main prize has the same stats as the festival booth from last summer, so no complaints. Yay to to neighborly help quest, I think this is very helpful. Less helpful in my opinion are the spell fragment generation quests. I understand that Inno wants to promote the magic academy, but still... I dislike it.

To summarize: nice mini event, keep them coming :D

DeletedUser4149

i liked the quests to gain 1200 fragments. they were new and rewarded players who anticipated quests like these. this game should be about making choices. if the prize isn't worth disenchanting 1200 fragments worth of stuff to you, don't do it. it's only 1 building. you'll have a chance to win a dozen buildings soon in the carnival event.

everyone in each of my fellowships was warned 9 days in advance that this quest was coming. everyone past chapter 1 can have a magic academy and participate in tournaments. if newer players don't have the resources to gain the 1200 fragments, they should learn and can save to be ready to be able to gain more fragments for the next event.

let's not groan every time there's a new challenge. they're the reasons some of us are playing in the first place.