• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Winter Magic!

Deleted User - 341074

Oh, that's a pity then. It probably means there's nothing that I want to win from this event then. Hmm... last winter event there was one thing - Fishing Spot - as it had almost zero snow and ice... and I still have it now. Hopefully I will find something somewhere to catch my eye.
At the very least there's wishing wells, and portal profits.
You can also always open the most expensive chest so that you have the lowest chance of getting the daily exclusive meaning you'll get a bunch of KP and instants.

Pauly7

Magus
At the very least there's wishing wells, and portal profits.
You can also always open the most expensive chest so that you have the lowest chance of getting the daily exclusive meaning you'll get a bunch of KP and instants.
Yep, all true... As I said, it doesn't mean I don't like there being an event because I can still go and collect all those incidental bits and pieces which are gratefully received.

DeletedUser7805

Unfortunately I cleared my spam folder before I saw this.

Also mentioned this in my fellowship, 2 players stated they didn't get that email.

Everyone check your email to claim your 100 free snowflakes. I found mine in my junk folder. :)

Pauly7

Magus
And somewhere out there are "some people" who wished for exactly what Inno is giving. Something about "pleasing everybody" comes to mind...
Well quite... and those people should get that benefit some of the time.

The phrase is: "you can't please all of the people all of the time" which implies you can please all of the people some of the time. My point is that Inno never considers the aesthetic qualities of a city. Don't get me wrong they spend a great deal of time and energy making individual items look great, but they always try to steer people along the path of building big rows of items that really only look good in isolation so I don't think they have an interest in facilitating the kind of city realism I am talking about by finding ways to benefit a varied city.

Pauly7

Magus
Also mentioned this in my fellowship, 2 players stated they didn't get that email.
Not everyone gets those emails. I don't. It's something to do with signing up for a newsletter. I can't remember exactly, but I think it might just have been a case of deciding not to receive that.

Sir Derf

Adept
Having sung another chorus of the "Crafting is Great" carol, let me add my own "Bah Humbug". I am very unmotivated to try for a Winter Special 2x2 520 Culture (Ch 6) Sculpture of Wonky Goblin Gifts when I can build 2x2 520 Culture (Ch 6) buildings myself from leftovers.

Sir Derf

Adept
Well quite... and those people should get that benefit some of the time.

The phrase is: "you can't please all of the people all of the time" which implies you can please all of the people some of the time. My point is that Inno never considers the aesthetic qualities of a city. Don't get me wrong they spend a great deal of time and energy making individual items look great, but they always try to steer people along the path of building big rows of items that really only look good in isolation so I don't think they have an interest in facilitating the kind of city realism I am talking about by finding ways to benefit a varied city.

So, do I understand that you don't like the need for mass quantities of residences and factories, that when mutually upgraded all look the same and have a desirability to being placed in blocks. What would you propose instead? Buildings with much higher density and efficiency, so that you need fewer? Buildings with equivalent density, but that have multiple variant 'skins' so that you can have ten residences in a row without looking like a string of cookie-cutter buildings? Or something else?

Note: If this gets too off topic, mods, feel free to separate to a new thread.

DeletedUser6404

I'm enjoying this Winter guest, no errors, no faults. On Quest 45 Produce Marble Mosaic 2 times/ Produce Precious Ring 2 times/ Produce Wooden Figurines 2 times All Tier 1 3 hours... how you doing? :cool::p:cool:

DeletedUser7733

I wonder whether it's even possible to get both sets of linked buildings. If I try to get Winter Market buildings, I'll have less snowflakes to use on double Delicacies days and might not get Snow Owls set.

Deleted User - 341074

I wonder whether it's even possible to get both sets of linked buildings. If I try to get Winter Market buildings, I'll have less snowflakes to use on double Delicacies days and might not get Snow Owls set.
You could, but IMO it's better to get repeat dailies.
My ideal would be 2 stalls, 2 fairs, 2 frost, and as many sleds as possible

DeletedUser7733

I think I'll go for the Snow Owl set and Christmas Tree just because I like the look of them. Also the double Delicacies days have better buildings now so that should be enough.
It would be nice to have a building that gives a lot of seeds like the Festival Merchant but I think it was too good of a deal so they won't do it again.

Sir Derf

Adept
Blessed with foresight and preparation I have:

The start of Chapter 6, without having yet built anything guest-race related.
2 brand-spanking new Expansions with nothing yet built on them.
A whole army of unemployed Population.

Basically, the perfect recipe to create and destroy temp Workshops and Manufactories at need. (Never as much as you'd want, but good enough)

Add to that:

30 completely unsolved Provinces (240 Encounters) to pick-and choose from.
2 weeks to stock up on Goods for negotiations. (Oh, and will open another Expansion by Quest 50)
3 Technologies with enough KP that Encounters and Buy KP Quests will unlock
A Level 3, 4, 14 and 15 building waiting to be upgraded.
A large collection of Instants.

I'm looking good.

Finally paused on Quest 34 (6 Toolboxes), but with production underway on future needs.

Oh, and throw in that I got the Set building on my second box of Goodies.

Winter is definitely Magic, so far.

Sir Derf

Adept

Yes, it's possible.

If nothing else, Every fallen Snowflake you pick up could be a 3-pointer, you could get the 5 Set Buildings, each on the first attempt in a 40 Snowflake Gift Box of Roasted Almonds, for a total cost of 200 Snowflakes, allowing you to spend all your remaining Snowflakes on Double Delicacy Days. (Or just buy a sleigh-full of Snowflakes)

On the other hand, you could spend every snowflake opening 105 Snowflake Gift Boxes of Gingerbread Men only on Daily Set Building days, never get any Daily Prize buildings, and only earned enough Delicacies for the first two set buildings. (and about 40 Coin Rains, so, there would be that...) (Or just never open any Gift Boxes...)

Reasonable non-unluck, judicious use of Double Delicacy Days, and frugal non-set Daily Building attempts and it sounds like better-than-even odds.

Now, If we could craft some snowflakes...

DeletedUser7733

you could get the 5 Set Buildings, each on the first attempt in a 40 Snowflake Gift Box of Roasted Almonds
The odds of getting daily prize from Roasted Almonds is 15% so it will most likely take more than 1 attempt to get the daily prize. It could even take 10 attempts to get it if not more using that chest. I should do a calculation whether it's possible to get both sets while considering realistic odds or even a worst case scenario. I don't like putting a lot of effort into something and then not getting anything. I rather settle for a guaranteed outcome and less work to keep the enjoyment up and the stress down. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauly7

Magus
What would you propose instead? Buildings with much higher density and efficiency, so that you need fewer? Buildings with equivalent density, but that have multiple variant 'skins' so that you can have ten residences in a row without looking like a string of cookie-cutter buildings? Or something else?
Well therein lies the question. It would be nice if they gave it a try. The answer may be giving a higher output to a building that is spaced further away from a similar building. Reducing the culture of every building that has duplicates in the same city. Much increased bonus power to roads. All these things would encourage these things to happen... Surely there must be a ton of other tricks they could employ if they were motivated.

Now, I realise that most people will be reading this thinking the idea is ridiculous, but imagine you are the game developer wanting to attract more players. Consider when they make their little marketing images/videos showing little example cities there are always a lot of roads and different sorts of buildings placed randomly, because that looks more natural if it were actually a city. If they think that this aesthetic quality will attract a new player then they must consider that promoting the building of that sort of city may then, somehow, keep players.

DeletedUser7733

@Pauly7, I think you achieved that quite well in your city.
At the end, it's about flexibility so they can make happy as many players as they can. And yes, I do like their marketing images but somehow I end up getting bored looking at the same buildings so I want to progress fast so I can change the look of them so I build the city that makes it easier.

DeletedUser3097

The design of the winter event is beautiful as usual. The only thing i am struggling with is the snowflakes. They completely blend into the background of the snow. I am not sure if it was designed that way on purpose.
Thank you for the feedback about the colour contrast of the snowflakes- it will be forwarded.

Moved to the Winter Magic Discussion thread.

Sir Derf

Adept
The odds of getting daily prize from Roasted Almonds is 15% so it will most likely take more than 1 attempt to get the daily prize. It could even take 10 attempts to get it if not more using that chest. I should do a calculation whether it's possible to get both sets while considering realistic odds or even a worst case scenario. I don't like putting a lot of effort into something and then not getting anything. I rather settle for a guaranteed outcome and less work to keep the enjoyment up and the stress down. :)

You appear to have both missed the spirit of the unrealistic earlier parts of my post, and the actual information in the later part.

Winning 5 times on the first tries of 5 of the cheapest, longest-odds Gift Boxes is possibly but highly unlikely. That was meant as the Best Case.
Losing every time on every Gift Box is possible but highly unlikely. That was meant as the Worst Case.

From stuff I've read from someone who has done the calculation, "Reasonable non-unluck [good luck or neutral luck], judicious use of Double Delicacy Days, and frugal non-set Daily Building attempts and it sounds like better-than-even odds." [at being able to get both sets.]